Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Cognizance: The Prophet said: 'The similitude of the one who contemplates his Lord versus the one who does not is that of the living versus the dead.' (Sahîh Bukhârî, Sahîh Muslim)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Israel pays people to post on forums  (Read 1150 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Jun 04, 2010 09:27 AM »

Remember all those comments on every yahoo article... hmm Not surprising news in the least. Have no idea why ppl don't think they are doing it now. -- J.

======================================

Thought-police is here

Rona Kuperboim slams Foreign Ministry’s plan to hire pro-Israel talkbackers

Rona Kuperboim
Published:    07.10.09, 13:11 / Israel Opinion

The Foreign Ministry unveiled a new plan this week: Paying talkbackers to post pro-Israel responses on websites worldwide. A total of NIS 600,000 (roughly $150,000) will be earmarked to the establishment of an “Internet warfare” squad.

The Foreign Ministry intends to hire young people who speak at least one language and who study communication, political science, or law – or alternately, Israelis with military experience gained at units dealing with information analysis.

Beyond the fact that these job requirements reveal a basic lack of understanding in respect to the dynamics of the online discourse – the project’s manager argued that “adults don’t know how to blog” – they are not too relevant either. An effective talkbacker does not need a law degree or military experience. He merely needs to care about the subject he writes about.

The sad truth is that had Israeli citizens believed that their State is doing the right thing, they would have made sure to explain it out of their own accord. Without being paid.

Foreign Ministry officials are fighting what they see as a terrible and scary monster: the Palestinian public relations monster. Yet nothing can be done to defeat it, regardless of how many foolish inventions will be introduced and how many bright communication students will be hired.

The reason is that good PR cannot make the reality in the occupied territories prettier. Children are being killed, homes are being bombed, and families are starved. Yet nonetheless, the Foreign Ministry wants to try to change the situation. And they have willing partners. “Where do I submit a CV?” wrote one respondent. “I’m fluent in several languages and I’m able to spew forth bullshit for hours on end.”

Anti-democratic initiative

Any attempt to plant talkbacks online must fail. Especially if the State is behind it. Not only because it’s easy to identify responses made on behalf of someone, but also because it’s anti-democratic. When the Israel Electric Company or other companies do it, it’s annoying. Yet when the State does it, it’s dangerous.

Imposters on behalf of the government are threatening free discourse even if they only wander through the virtual space. The Internet was meant to serve as an open platform for dialogue between people, rather than as a propaganda means.

Something worrisome is happening here lately. We see the accumulation of silencing attempts. The Nakba Law, the bill calling for a ban on protests outside the homes of politicians, Lieberman’s Loyalty Law, and the biometric information database. The free speech hunting season is on.

Thankfully we have the Internet, and it enables us to identify processes, discuss them, warn about them, and join forces against them. We can assume that soon we’ll see the establishment of a website opposed to this new initiative, unless such site already exists. Perhaps even a group on Facebook. I wonder whether all its members will be Foreign Ministry agents, or whether it will also include some real people.

This is not a police state: This is a thought-police state.
skhansj
Bro

Reputation Power: 1
skhansj has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2010 08:08 PM »

Jannah,
I've noticed the same pattern... on news sites, on facebook groups, on blogs.

The paid postings have some give-away signatures.

They almost always rehash the same argument, using almost the same words, on multiple sites. They follow a classic PR script.

The argument made usually stretches credulity, but is quite effective on the uneducated or ill-informed. This strategy must have served them well in the past. It saves them from going on the defensive. In legal terminology, you'd call this attack an 'ad hominim' assault, where you try and degrade the credibility of the complaining party, or the witnesses.

The pedigree of the strategy is quite interesting...
 "A lie repeated often enough becomes the truth."  - G. Goebbels

It is interesting enough to me that I'm trying to put together some software to build a statistical analysis of comments on major blogs and news sites, and hopefully in a few months will have something publishable that will bring this to the surface. I just wish that I had more free time to work on this....

You turn on the light, and the cockroaches scatter ;-)
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2010 07:43 AM »

Umm... that's a very illustrative metaphor  Shocked

It's weird how ppl always "suspect" these things and others write them off as conspiracy theorists but then one day you find a tiny article in some paper about it...

I think you can learn and deduce a lot from seeing these patterns as u say... a good topic for ur thesis perhaps? Smiley

ie after 9/11 US also paid ppl to post "moderate" messages on forums
US also placed certain articles in newspapers
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jun 06, 2010 01:12 PM »

as salaamu alaykum,

Hmm jannah, maybe you should consider giving those of us here on the madina some extra in$entive for po$ting,
wouldn't you all say?  Wink
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Jun 06, 2010 10:26 PM »

wsalam,

you guys get payment enough in the form of duas and friendship/support!!  bropraying and i believe israel gets a lot more $$$ from the US government: millions than I do: 0.

skhansj
Bro

skhansj has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2010 04:08 PM »

It's really amazing what rewards you get for loving one another for the sake of Allah. Person A make dua for person B, and the angels in turn make dua for Person A. Then Person B makes dua for Person A, and the angels make dua for Person B. That's a lots of well-wishing angels, and do you think the angels would do that without the command of Allah?

We get what economists call the 'network effect', and insha'Allah end up with a community so much closer to that experienced by the Sahabah.

The Network effect is described at 'http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect'.

Subhan'Allah. Almighty Allah has also increased the rewards for people who start a positive chain of events. Think about this, the initial people who converted to Islam from the Lebanon area took the message of Islam from Omar Al Khattab. Eventually, the majority of the people there converted to Islam. The hasanat for all the good deeds done by these people, and the generations following will be placed in the scale of Omar Al Khattab. No wonder the sahabah were the best of all people!

OTOH, with payments to post (or other form of external incentives) you get the 'Overjustication effect' (at least that is what people like me with an interest in social communities theory and learning theory would call it!). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overjustification_effect

There is a chapter in the book Freakonomics on the day-care scenario (with people picking up their kids late, and paying a fine) which does an excellent job of describing this.

Anyways, apologies for boring everyone with theories. Insha'Allah there will be some good that will come out of this post.
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #6 on: Jun 08, 2010 07:15 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

OTOH, with payments to post (or other form of external incentives) you get the 'Overjustication effect' (at least that is what people like me with an interest in social communities theory and learning theory would call it!). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overjustification_effect

Interesting stuff, I wonder how this theory would fit in with the Islamic concept of intention?

Hmm jannah, maybe you should consider giving those of us here on the madina some extra in$entive for po$ting,
wouldn't you all say?

I’m sure the Jannah.Org Frequent Poster Programme is just around the corner Wink

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #7 on: Jun 08, 2010 08:38 AM »

salam

I'd like to be paid in chocolate...reeses pieces will work for me.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Sarah Amena
Sis

Sarah Amena has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Jun 08, 2010 02:14 PM »

Salam Alaikum,

So this might be a little off base but what is the incentive for people like Mike Savage, Rusch Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly and Glenn Beck? I guess there is monetary gain via ratings and such but seriously is it possible that it could all be somehow connected? Most of the media outlets out here in the U.S. are very pro Israel. SubAllah, most people don't even know what is really happening...  Most of the information that I get is from Aljeezera or The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.... oh and Colbert Report, hey they are just as reliable as the other major news sources in the West  Tongue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: