// Putting on Hijab at 25... in the Midwest :)
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: To admonish your brother in private is to advise him and improve him. But to admonish him publicly is to disgrace and shame him. - Imam Shafi (rahimullah)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Putting on Hijab at 25... in the Midwest :)  (Read 2855 times)
Sarah Amena
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Sarah Amena has no influence :(

« on: Jun 07, 2010 04:43 AM »

Salam Alaikum Medina  Grin

Ok, I made the commitment, I am going to put on Hijab by the first of Ramadan, hopefully sooner Inshallah, but for sure by the first of Ramadan  purplehijabisis (me in August)

So here is my dilemma or maybe not dilemma but an area that I need advice.  I work full time at a bank in the collections area. I have been at the bank since I was 25....  I was never covered... so how do I go to work one day covered?  What do I say when people ask why I cover now but didn't for the last several years... I am not afraid of other people's reactions... it's just the feeling of being a hypocrite... I was so very blessed to be born a Muslimah but I didn't get the inspiration to follow my faith until now... So any ideas  or suggestions on how to handle this situation will be greatly appreciated  Embarrassed

Salam,

Amena
Sarah Amena
Sis

« Reply #1 on: Jun 07, 2010 04:44 AM »

correction! Not since I was 25  but at the bank since I was 18  Lips Sealed oops
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Jun 07, 2010 05:44 AM »

ws,

U can start by wearing various scarves around your neck like the one's at H&M. Then after a while drape it over your head every so often and then one day just go ahead and go full hijabiiiiiiii  sis lol
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jun 07, 2010 08:28 AM »

salaam,

you can say that 'since it's Ramadan I'm trying to become more spiritual' or that you wanted to start practicing your faith more or something along those lines. if you have some close friends at work you can let them know beforehand that it's something you've been thinking about doing for a while and will start soon.  most people are nice about it if you explain it to them and show that you are happy about doing it (and no one is forcing you like they may think) and it may be a segway into them asking you more about Islam....

may Allah give you strength and bless you and accept from you Smiley

salaam,
fd0000
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
fd0000 has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Jun 08, 2010 04:52 AM »

Assalamoalaikum sister,

It was  great to read your post. May Allah grant you strength and make all your positive efforts in islam easy for you. Ameen.

Salam
PalestinianAmeera
Sis

PalestinianAmeera has no influence :(

لا إله إلا الله

« Reply #5 on: Jun 09, 2010 02:39 AM »

Salam,

iagree sis. Se7ens' idea is smart  Smiley, it gives you kind of a way to get out of all the questioning. If it helps, I'm 16 and i live here in florida, i was raised here, and i grew up the way people around me grew up, even though my dad was muslim, because my mom was a christian, (she converted like twice to islam! lol! and then back) so dress and hijab had always been an issue in my family, among me and my older sister, but mostly me, because my sister was very strong and religious and i, well, wasn't lol. But when my parents got divorced and my dad got remarried to a muslim woman, my thoughts changed towards covering my hair and the religion itself. Alhamdullilah, I'm stronger in my religion today than i ever have been because i have been so focused on learning and bettering myself for allah swt's sake, And when i go out, i wear the abaya and hijab :]. I'm happy that allah swt has given me the strength to not care what people think about me all covered up ect. Inshallah allah swt will strengthen you and help you along the way sister :]

Salam

Gaza will never die.

Sarah Amena
Sis

« Reply #6 on: Jun 09, 2010 05:44 AM »

Salam Sister PalestinianAmeera,

Wow MashAllah, you are only 16 and you are giving someone almost 10 years older wonderful advice and support! Thanks girlie!!

Salam,
sana24
Sis

sana24 has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2010 07:52 AM »

Walikum Salaam sister Ameena,

About two months ago, I was in the EXACT same boat as you!!
I wish I could invite you over for a cup of coffee and we could talk about it for hours  Wink

I'm 22 and have been thinking about the hijab for months but have always felt scared!! Especially because i dont have a lot of muslim friends and am the ONLY muslim person at my work and in my course at uni!

And I was scared about rocking up to uni one day after four years of having my hair out and then all of a sudden being covered!! Ok no joke, 2 months ago, one morning, I decided THATS IT! Im going to do it, Im going to wear my hijab, so i got dressed and i put it on and then took it off. and then put it back on. and then took it off again. and unfortunalty Shaytaan got the better of me and i put my hijab in my bag and went out. I was so so ashamed of myself. All the way to uni I was thinking what am I scared off? If I want to do it I should just do it.  Yeah, it'll be really really scary and awkward for some people at first, but at the end of the day WHO CARES!! who cares what they think. Its what I want to do and what will make me happy. 

The NEXT DAY I went uni with my hijab on. EVERYONE STARED.  a couple of girls said "oh so are you like fully islamic now?" and someone else said "um is she like married now?" and a lot of people said "oooohhh but we miss your hair". I admit it was a bit hard getting used to not ever showing my hair again BUT IT WAS SO WORTH IT!!!  Grin

Sister Amena, congratulations firstly on thinking about it and secondaly realising how important it is!! It is truly a blessing from Allah that you are even thinking about it! I'm embarrased to say, this time last year I would have NEVER thought of myself wearing a hijab, purely because I didnt understand its importance and value and i was so obsessed with my hair  Roll Eyes

I really really hope this helps you, most importantly make dua to Allah to help make the hijab easy for you and that you may love it.
Sarah Amena
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Jun 09, 2010 02:31 PM »

salamsmiley
Aww Sister Sana,

Thank you so much for sharing your story! That's wonderful that you finally conquered your fears and actually did it!  woohoo

I took someone's advice and already told a few people at work and even talked to my manager about hijab and my grandma and my mother in law and SubanAllah, everyone is in full support... so yes it has been made super easy for me.  Now I am in the process of switching my wardrobe to more Islamic friendly clothing without breaking the break (hmm are summer classes really necessary?Huh??? hehehe)

Keep it up Sana and know that you are representin' and you are a great role model for other muslimah's wanting to put hijab on Smiley

Salam sista,
Amena
PalestinianAmeera
Sis

PalestinianAmeera has no influence :(

لا إله إلا الله

« Reply #9 on: Jun 09, 2010 08:50 PM »

Mashallah sister! Doesn't it feel good to conquer the shaytan?  allahuakbar  :]]]

salam :]

Gaza will never die.

Christine_1208
Sis

Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« Reply #10 on: Jun 16, 2010 07:32 PM »

Assalam alaikom sis,

I worked at a place 7 years as a pious christian, left to work for the Bishop.. Coverted to Islam and then back to the old job where EVERYONE knew me. They had seen me at 21 going out to clubs, drinking with them and wearing stuff... FAR from hijab.

When I returned most were like.. WOW what is this. I said I am following my religion, I am now muslim and this is part of what I have choosen to be close to God. I got a bunch of.. "OH we loved your hair". the best was "You cover cause men are weak, why do you suffer for them being dumb"... To that I say.. No, actually who am I to make another human feel inferior due to beauty or lack there off. I respect myself and every human being I meet.  But to be honest most, were more curious than mean. They asked hey if that makes you happy then do it. The people you work with have a rapport with you, they already know YOU. It is the strangers that are dumb enough to make a stupid comments. Just today I was flicked off coming back from lunch. But my friend Mel who was with me said to the guy, would you flick me off if I was wearing a cross. Wink So I would say don't worry about it. Allah will make it easy for you. Besides I feel bad for those ignorant ppl.

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
Sarah Amena
Sis

« Reply #11 on: Jul 01, 2010 05:12 AM »

I just wanted to give you guys an update, I am officially hijabi and it's like almost two months ahead of schedule  loveshower

Alhamdullah!!

Thank you for all of the support!!
crazybuoy
« Reply #12 on: Jul 01, 2010 07:04 AM »

Salam

it is good but do you know that you will remain alive till Ramadan. so why not from today. you may start by giving some charity to any one.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #13 on: Jul 01, 2010 08:20 AM »

ws,

Congrats Sarah! May this be a means of becoming closer to Him inshaAllah Smiley Now you can read up on all those Hijab style videos and what not  purplehijabisis
khadija13
Sis

khadija13 has no influence :(

« Reply #14 on: Aug 05, 2010 02:21 PM »

Salaam Sisters,
                           Well my stories is also very similar to u all, Many tyms i tried to put hijab n take it off, Reason i nvr wear it with realization of its importance, Now Wen i realize its importance, its really easy 4 me to wear anywhere if some questions me i have much better answer to shut their mouth Smiley
I m so much proud of wearing hijab Becoz ALLAH is Proud of me, i dont care 4 others i Care 4 my ALLAH n my Faith for ALLAH Smiley
 hijabisis Hijab Is my identity n i will wear it wid pride Smiley
I m so happy to be part of this forum Smiley
I m new here but will love to be frndz of all n will know u all soon Inshallah
Alhamdaollilah as ALLAH loves us all Smiley
 Smiley

When you feel all alone in this world
And there's nobody to count your tears
Just remember, no matter where you are
Allah knows
Allah knows.....
Alhamdaollilah
Pages: [1]   Go Up