Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

A rakah a rakah! My kingdom for a rakah!'

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: World Cup 2010!!!  (Read 7032 times)
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #50 on: Jul 03, 2010 04:53 PM »

Wow, that was a first-class whooping that Germany gave Argentina! I want Spain to win, but the Germans are going to be hard to beat if Spain does go through vs. Paraguay later today (which I won't be able to watch as we have errands to run). Guess I will have to catch the primetime program tonight. It's too bad M. Ballack was left off the team this year - I can't recall why, but he did well at the Euro Championship if I remember correctly or if not that, the last WC. Poor guy was in the stands, but cheering which was nice to see, but the commentators were saying he must be disappointed to a degree of course.

desibro
BABA

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #51 on: Jul 03, 2010 05:08 PM »

Mama mia! The Germans outclassed Argentina, today!  Poor souls. I was supporting Argentina. Two disappointments in a row. But Ghana did put their all in their game yesterday.

I am with Spain in the afternoon. No matter what!

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #52 on: Jul 04, 2010 04:59 AM »

I think we all feel bad that Ghana didn't win, not to mention the way they were denied during the flow of play with that hand ball at the goal line. This is somewhat good news, but just makes it that much more heart-breaking I think.
 desibro
BABA

JOHANNESBURG -- FIFA has suspended Uruguay forward Luis Suarez for one match for his deliberate handball to deny Ghana the winning goal in the teams' World Cup quarterfinal match.

FIFA's disciplinary committee ruled Saturday that Suarez was guilty of "denying the opposite team a clear goal-scoring opportunity" as it imposed the one-match suspension.

The penalty means Suarez will be out when Uruguay meets the Netherlands in the semifinals on Tuesday, but would be available for the final if his team advances.

After Suarez's goal-line handball in the last minute of extra time at Soccer City on Friday, Ghana forward Asamoah Gyan missed the ensuing penalty kick and time ran out with the score tied at 1-1. Uruguay won the penalty shootout that followed, 4-2, to advance.

Suarez's actions spurred debate about sportsmanship, and whether he should be given a more stern penalty.

Uruguay Coach Oscar Tabarez said earlier Saturday that Suarez should be allowed to play in the tournament final if Uruguay gets there.

"It's not my business. The disciplinary committee will look at it," Tabarez said Saturday. "But I think it [a two-match ban] would be extremely exaggerated."

"I think [calling him a cheat] would be too far-fetched and too twisted," he added.

Suarez, who has three goals in the tournament, said it was "complicated" to be ejected from a World Cup game.

"But the way in which I was sent off -- truth is, it was worth it."

BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #53 on: Jul 04, 2010 08:03 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

After the penalty drama of Ghana, we had yet more penalties in the Paraguay v Spain contest and that match did not even go to penalties!!! bro

I have to say from an Islamic perspective, it is fascinating watching people following their teams (be it at a national or international level) and how people (particularly non Muslims) unite around a common goal; namely the success of their team.

I am sure someone could write a piece on how football is considered by some as a deity in its own right, in respect of the devotion some of its ‘followers’ possess.

Anyhow, Paraguay were terribly unlucky last night but Spain probably deserved to go through.

Surely the winner of Germany v Spain will win the World Cup?

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Jaihoon
Jaihoon
Bro

Reputation Power: 21
Jaihoon barely matters :(Jaihoon barely matters :(

« Reply #54 on: Jul 04, 2010 05:30 PM »

My tweets on yesterdays match reactions of public here

polic jeeps r patrollin to arrest out of control fans.Men r dancing on d streets rejoicin d defeat of argentina

argentina is buried aliv with four goals from germany.fans cant burn argentina flex coz of rain

with d third goal,germany put d last nail on maradonas boys ambitions...

Firecrakrs hav begun aftr Germany scores second goal.Brazil fans will die of joy

brazil fans r prayin with hand on d heart: May Argentina lose in hell.Businesman r waitin 2 distribut laddoo if messys team lose

businessman r runnin around in calicut.reason?Germany has shot a goal against Argentina

(posted from Calicut, on vacation)

Halima
Sis

Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #55 on: Jul 05, 2010 06:29 AM »

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3784284&id=51790559057

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Ghana didn't even need the penalty they missed.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3743929&id=51790559057

I think FIFA needs to change its rules. Many costly mistakes were committed by referees in this world cup. If not, FIFA itself should be penalized.

Right now, that is all water under the bridge.  In the semi finals, I am with Netherlands and Spain.  German are a strong team, I know but this is football after all. Who knows!

The Almighty Allah says,

lala marcy
Sis

Reputation Power: 14
lala marcy has no influence :(

« Reply #56 on: Jul 06, 2010 03:05 PM »

In the beginning (here in the states ) at work at home..I called Spain. I"m gonna stick with it. Guess we'll know tomorrow if they even make it to the final game!

Yeah, Ghana was cheated..but so it is..so it is.

!
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #57 on: Jul 06, 2010 10:47 PM »

salam

Wooohoooo the Dutch saw the cheating cheaters off.... I don't actually care who wins, the teams I did not want to win are out!!!!

Go everyone!!!!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Siham
Sis

Reputation Power: 23
Siham barely matters :(Siham barely matters :(

Tranquil Heart

« Reply #58 on: Jul 07, 2010 12:17 AM »

Surely the winner of Germany v Spain will win the World Cup?

Me dont think so. Holland is going to win this World Cup insha`Allah  bebzi

"Do not treat people with contempt, nor walk insolently on the earth. Allah does not love the arrogant or the self-conceited boaster. Be modest in your bearing and subdue your voice, for the most unpleasant of voices is the braying of the ass." [The Holy Qur'an, Surah Luqman - 31:18-19]
Halima
Sis

« Reply #59 on: Jul 07, 2010 02:32 AM »

Oh, that was sweet revenge for Africa. Go home Uruguay!  I would like to see Netherlands vs Spain in the final.  But in case Germany makes it, I would like the Netherlands to win the CUP!

The Almighty Allah says,

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #60 on: Jul 07, 2010 05:48 AM »

Oh, that was sweet revenge for Africa. Go home Uruguay!

My thoughts exactly Sr. Halima  Smiley

Me dont think so. Holland is going to win this World Cup insha`Allah

Sorry, Sr. Siham, while I was glad that Holland got rid of Uruguay, I want Spain to win it all and if they don't get through, then Germany.

Well, let's wait and see!
 desibro
BABA

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #61 on: Jul 07, 2010 08:13 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

I sense a real anti Uruguay sentiment in this thread Wink

If memory serves me right no European team has won the world cup outside of its own continent so this year will be a first.

Moreover, no team has ever won the world cup after losing their first match of the tournament so could this be the year for Spain?

We will just have to wait and see bro

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Halima
Sis

« Reply #62 on: Jul 07, 2010 07:54 PM »

Germany has already won the cup 3 times. I don't want them to do it again.

Its time for a country that has never won. I have said this all along.

Netherlands vs Spain in the final will be a beauty! If it happens.

The Almighty Allah says,

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #63 on: Jul 07, 2010 09:02 PM »

Agree with you Sr. Halima - that's why I was glad Brazil lost and as I've said a few posts above, I want Spain - the Euro Champs and insha'allah, the World Champs! hehehe.

YES -Spain just scored, let 's hope they hang on in the last 20 minutes!!

Wooohooo!!
 desibro
BABA

Halima
Sis

« Reply #64 on: Jul 07, 2010 09:25 PM »

They did it!!!!! Germany is out - Horaaaay....!  That is football for you.

The final is gonna be sweet. Two underdogs!  Yey!

The Almighty Allah says,

Siham
Sis

Tranquil Heart

« Reply #65 on: Jul 07, 2010 09:26 PM »

I'm so so so glad that Germany is out of the picture al-hamdulillah  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

(I simply do not like them)

Now, Holland vs. Spain....ofcourse the winner will be HOLLAND!!!

"Do not treat people with contempt, nor walk insolently on the earth. Allah does not love the arrogant or the self-conceited boaster. Be modest in your bearing and subdue your voice, for the most unpleasant of voices is the braying of the ass." [The Holy Qur'an, Surah Luqman - 31:18-19]
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #66 on: Jul 07, 2010 09:27 PM »

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Viva La Espania!!!! (Spelling??? loool)

I've been a fan of Spain (esp David Villa) as they made their way to the Euro title in 2008 - just love the way they play.

Again, as Sr. Halima said above - it's good to have a new champion - which we will have this year!!!

Just on Sunday at the 4th of July party I attended, I was with the uncles and a few young brothers and we were talking about the WC of course and I mentioned as I had heard on the commentary, that only 7 teams - EVER - have won the WC, so it's about time an 8th is added!

Where and with who are you guys and gals planning to watch the Final on Sunday?? Would be interesting to know what all your plans are.  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Love, and peace out from Baba from the sunny and hot City of Roses (Yes, I know its even hotter on the East Coast - NY is frying, right Sr. Jannah?)

desibro
BABA

Siham
Sis

Tranquil Heart

« Reply #67 on: Jul 07, 2010 09:34 PM »

Where and with who are you guys and gals planning to watch the Final on Sunday??

Actually a friend invited us to join him and his family on sunday, so we'll see insha`Allah...  bebzi

Halima
Sis

« Reply #68 on: Jul 08, 2010 12:00 AM »

Here is what I read today about this world cup - I pasted the part I liked most:

2010 FIFA World Cup: The 10 Great Miracles

Fantastic Fanatics

I’ve mentioned before the incredible scenes when the US defeated Algeria with a last-minute Landon Donovan goal to top Group C. The Yanks couldn’t believe their luck.

Mad celebration culminated in the striker from Hull City's Jozy Altidore going over the fence to clasp the Stars and Stripes. This happened right in front of the massed ranks of Algerians, north African Muslims to a man (and woman). Did they react? Barely a whisper. They smiled and clapped as their American rivals, not all that popular in the Muslim world, enjoyed their moment.

Had Jozy celebrated like that at the New Den, Millwall fans may have offered a few oaths. Even the odd oaf. But Pretoria remained peaceful. Scenes like that have been replayed all over South Africa; Uruguayan joy, African misery; German jubilation, English desolation; Dutch delight, Brazilian disbelief. And not a fight in sight. Increíble (that’s unbelievable in Spanish).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/416551-fifa-world-cup-2010-the-10-great-miracles#page/4

Also read:

Five Reasons Why the World Cup Is Better Than the Super Bowl

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/416697-five-reasons-why-the-world-cup-is-better-than-the-super-bowl

The Almighty Allah says,

Halima
Sis

« Reply #69 on: Jul 08, 2010 02:53 AM »

Will be watching at home (currently in Toronto for the last few months), INSHA-ALLAH. It is has been fun so far with my sister, brother-in-law, nieces, son and I cheering our favourite teams without coming to blows when there was defeat against ones's team.

With a heat wave enveloping Toronto and the south of Ontario, its been the hottest weather I have ever experienced. Its crazy. The hottest Nairobi gets is 25 degrees celcius.

The Almighty Allah says,

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #70 on: Jul 08, 2010 05:13 AM »

Salaams

Actually a friend invited us to join him and his family on sunday, so we'll see insha`Allah...

Sounds fun Sis Siham

Will be watching at home (currently in Toronto for the last few months), INSHA-ALLAH. It is has been fun so far with my sister, brother-in-law, nieces, son and I cheering our favourite teams without coming to blows when there was defeat against ones's team.

With a heat wave enveloping Toronto and the south of Ontario, its been the hottest weather I have ever experienced. Its crazy. The hottest Nairobi gets is 25 degrees celcius.

Aww, cool Sr. Halima - you know, I knew you were based in Africa (Kenya of course) but I was 99% sure, hehe. I actually have extended family in Toronto - my cousin's wife's family. Wow, ma'sha'allah, that sounds like so much fun and very loud and entertaining with both adults and young ones! Wish I could be there. Yes, the east coast is heating up - here on the West Coast it hit 95 F today (35 C). Wow I would have thought Nairobi would get hotter than that.

I've been watching the games alone  . . .most of the younger members of my family are not yet in town and the one that is works during the day, so  . . . hmph, but insha'allah, planning to go to this cousin's house on Sunday and hoping another bro will also be coming over.

Thanks for sharing ladies!
 desibro
BABA

BrKhalid
Bro

« Reply #71 on: Jul 08, 2010 07:41 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

So it is the wily Dutch versus the classy Spaniards for the crown of World Champions. bro

The Germans were very disappointing last night and I wonder if they regret not taking the game to Spain earlier. Oh well…..ifs and buts.

As for the final, this will be the first time that Holland and Spain have met in a World Cup match at the finals.

An incredible statistic and another ‘first’ which this tournament has seemed to generate all along.

My apologies to all the Netherlands fans but I see Spain winning 2-1 in extra time, however, I do have a feeling we will have an exciting final as opposed to the boring finals we usually get because of all the pressure that rests on the match.

I wonder what Sr Shahida makes of it all given that she started this thread Wink

Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #72 on: Jul 08, 2010 11:00 AM »

Salam alaikum

You guys...I am soooo sad Germany lost, I thought for sure they could beat Spain Sad oh well...

So now, I'm like...who do I want to win? I dunno, but I just dont like Holland...so have to switch allegiances and go with viva espania madinaflag

Glad you all are watching and enjoying!!!  Grin

What do you think of South Africa? Have you seen much on the TV, or just around the games and stadiums?

Will be watching the final at home with the family.  Sure the whole neighbourhood would have let us know when a goal was scored regardless, hehe, bring out the vuvuzelas and lets have an exciting final!

BrKhalid, thanks for prompting me to write...I have been reading along Wink

Salam
S.
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #73 on: Jul 11, 2010 09:05 AM »

SALAAM

WOW what a thread, ,,.. Although I didn't get to watch many of the games, I feel like I know all that is going on from all the hype..

Anyway I'm happy U.S. did very good this year:) Although I hear they were cheated also..

Am going to try my best to watch the final and may the best team win!
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #74 on: Jul 11, 2010 05:15 PM »

Salam

So yeah, its a matter of hours now...Smiley

to make all of you feel like you're here, attached is a pic of the Soccer City stadium...literally down the highway from my home:) so i guess our house is somewhere in the lights between the stadium and the city skyline...

enjoy, I hope Spain wins;)

Salam
S.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print

Jump to: