// Healthy Breakfast Ideas
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Now, I don’t see color. People tell me I’m white and I believe them because police officers call me “sir”. - Steven Colbert
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Healthy Breakfast Ideas  (Read 3364 times)
sofia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« on: Jun 21, 2010 09:51 AM »

As-salaamu alaykum, all -

After seeing what some of my students (and their parents) eat for lunch, I wasn't surprised at all when some of them said they didn't eat breakfast. Shocking. My parents would have literally chained me to my seat if I did not eat at least a bowl of cereal before school.

After studying nutrition (and having to teach it), and finally convincing my husband of the benefits of a good breakfast (he's losing some inches, alhamdulillah, by eating more but smarter), here's what I've come up with so far.

1. We all know the benefits of a good breakfast, right? Better brain functioning, metabolism, hormone functioning, etc. Read more about it here: http://healthmad.com/weight-loss/five-benefits-of-eating-breakfast/

2. If you're trying to lose or maintain weight, never ever skip breakfast. Research shows those who do that, gain more weight than lose.

3. In fact, you need the right ratio of protein-complex carbohydrate-fat. Never ever go for "low carbs" or "no fat" if you don't know what you're getting into. It could be worse than you think.

4. To make it easier for you, here are some breakfast ideas. More ideas are welcome. But remember #3.

A. Foul (yes, the Arab dish with beans and chick peas that took a while to get used to, but it's sooo good for you. We have it the Lebanese way, with chopped tomatoes and parsley and lemon and olive oil and garlic and cumin. And go for a little whole wheat bread to balance it out).

B. Whole grain cereals and milk (full fat is fine, unless you have an addiction to dairy, are overweight or have some other medical reason not to). Remember, you need some fat, otherwise, you won't feel full. Not too much, though (let's not get crazy).

C. Eggs. They've gotten a bad rep, but really aren't bad for you, unless you eat too much, have a medical condition like diabetes or high cholesteraol, etc (ask your doctor. I eat 1-2/day, vegetarian omelette with whole grain bread OR french toast on whole grain bread)

D. Plain yogurt with nuts, seeds, dates, bananas, dried fruit, honey, etc. No need for everything on the list, but it's actually really really good. Again, please do not choose fat-free yogurt or yogurt with sugar added to it (it has almost sugar as soda!). Trust me, you won't feel full, and will grab that not-so-healthy snack later.

E. Oatmeal (or any other kind of whole grain other than wheat is actually pretty good for you). Steel-cut is better than instant (since there is often too much sugar), but instant is better than nothing. Just remember to top it off with things you like (like from D above. Just don't add fruits/sweets if it's instant).

F. Hummus with whole grain bread, and some tomatoes and cucumbers, parsley and mint on the side (I know I've chosen a lot of Arab foods, but I'm married to an Arab who is particular about his breakfast, and this is actually one of his healthier options). "Healthy" and "Pakistani breakfast" seem like an anomaly. Someone please prove me wrong.

Common mistakes:
-Skipping breakfast. Take a Kashi granola bar and a water bottle with you if you must, but eat breakfast. You've just fasted all night, and need to wake up your metabolism. If your excuse is that you're not hungry, start drinking some room-temp water, and eat a piece of fruit. Then go for some options like above.
-Coffee/tea and a bagel is not a well-balanced breakfast. In fact, coffee on an empty stomach is not a good idea.
-Eating just fruit for breakfast. Also not balanced. You need more protein and fat.
-Eating too many refined carbs (which makes it more simple, less complex). You will feel fuller longer with complex carbs (whole grain bread, long-grain or brown rice, whole grain pasta) than you will with simple (white/brown bread, white/brown bagels, enriched flour in pancakes/waffles, white rice, regular pasta)
-MODIFIED: As mentioned above, going "fat-free" is a no-no. You need good fats in order for proper hormone functioning, etc. And a certain amount of fat triggers your brain to realize: hey, I'm full now. I've noticed those who go for "fat-free" eat more simple carbs in the end, which gets stored as fat if not used as energy.
-Drinking empty calories (too much juice, mocha, or soda is like *drinking candy*).
-Not exercising and sitting down for hours at a time. There was a recent study done on the negative effects of such extreme sedentary lifestyles. Get up and walk around, take the stairs, play with your kids, do some circuit training exercises during commercials, whatever, but don't just sit there. No amount of calories (or lack thereof) will help, since being sendentary too long means you want your metabolism to shut down/decrease dramatically. It doesn't take much to change it.
-Stressing out too much. Relax. Research indicates that the more a person stresses, the more hormones go out of wack, and the harder it is to lose weight, etc.

That's all for now, I think. Now eat your breakfast.  oldshaykh
sofia   purplehijabisis

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Jun 21, 2010 10:02 AM »

salam

jazaki Allahu khair Sofia! 

I too tend to skip breakfast and just have coffee and I stress so much - no wonder I am not able to lose the baby fat.

Hubby storing bags of chocolate chip cookies at home does not help either; I keep "bumping" into them .  No will power at all on my part!

Healthy discussion - i know lame  Roll Eyes

take care and keep posting
sana24
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
sana24 has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Jun 21, 2010 12:31 PM »

JazakhAllah khair!!!!

ME TOO!!!!!
I cant remember the last time I ate breakfast!!
and the last time I had cereal was about 6 years ago Sad

I really hope your advice works and I feel fuller and have more energy - I'll have breakky tomorrow for sure Cheesy
Christine_1208
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jun 21, 2010 03:46 PM »

I am diabetic, I have to eat breakfast.. low carb. If not my sugar spikes.

Normally.... 1 hard boiled egg, 1/2 6' wheat pita with some ricotta cheese. Balances out my sugar perfect Wink

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2010 06:19 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

"Healthy" and "Pakistani breakfast" seem like an anomaly

There is a pretty famous Pakistani restaurant in Dubai who has just rolled out its new set breakfast takeaway menu.

Suffice to say if I had it, I would be falling back to sleep straight after!!  faint

You've just fasted all night, and need to wake up your metabolism

I wonder how this works when Fajr is so early like now in the UK (around 3 / 4am)

If you wake up for Fajr and then go back to sleep, should you eat breakfast after Fajr and before going back to sleep or only after you wake up ‘proper’?

Or should you eat before Fajr and effectively have a kind of suhoor given the timings?

Healthy discussion - i know lame

Corny, I grant you, but it actually made me chuckle. bro

Interesting topic Sr sofia but why on earth are Coco Pops not on the breakfast list? Wink

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
sofia
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2010 07:58 AM »

Salaam!
Forgot to mention a couple of other points:

1) Should you buy organic? Not necessarily, but it's highly recommended for certain fruits that absorb a lot of chemical pesticides AND for full-fat dairy (something about the fat being better if it's from an organic source). So I usually buy organic milk, yoghurt, butter, eggs, peaches, strawberries...don't get me started on meat (I'm not a vegetarian, no worries, but I am about to watch "Food, Inc.").

2) What if I'm lactose intolerant? As I get older, I notice I'm becoming more and more lactose-intolerant, myself (many South-east Asians tend to be). I usually go for almond milk, which has calcium and Vitamin D. In fact, there's a well-kept secret in the US that dairy need not be the major source of calcium and Vitamin D in your diet. You can get it from dark green vegetables and some fish. [Side note: the dairy and meat industries in the US have a rather strong political lobby, historically speaking...as does the pharmaceutical industry now].

I keep "bumping" into them .  No will power at all on my part

um aboodi, I have the same issue...the only trick to this is not buying certain things I find I'm addicted to (anything sweet, it seems)...hard when others in the family like it, though... Smiley

I really hope your advice works and I feel fuller and have more energy

Please do try it out for a few days, and let us know if it works, sana24!

If you wake up for Fajr and then go back to sleep, should you eat breakfast after Fajr and before going back to sleep or only after you wake up ‘proper’?

...Never thought about that, but I'd assume since it's generally not a good idea to sleep on a full stomach (unless it's Ramadaan, in which case, you do need to store that energy for later), you may want breakfast after waking up "proper." I tend to keep some water with me in case I'm thirsty at Fajr...room temp seems to be highly emphasized in both Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine, but that's a slightly different story.

Not sure why Coco-Pops aren't on the list...I believe we call them Coco-Puffs in the States...and my parents actually let us get away with that for breakfast as kids in exchange for just eating breakfast. Better than nothing, I suppose!

Better cereal options: http://www.drmirkin.com/nutrition/n180.htm
In the end, most cereals are still processed to the point of being refined (at least, that's what I tell myself when my addiction to sugarly cereals resurfaces...it's a great snack, though, with some full-fat milk).

sis

"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
sana24
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
sana24 has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Jun 24, 2010 08:34 AM »

Ok I have to admit the first few days I couldnt break my 'just coffee' routine... BUT today I had a half boiled egg and not only was it yum BUT I didnt start snacking around later!! Cheesy

I hope I keep it up, Im usually turned off my cereals and pancakes etc.. but I think I can do eggs or yogurt and museli Cheesy

Hows everyone else going?
Any new ideas?

I would try fruit salad but cutting fruit seems so hard in the morning!  Shocked
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #7 on: Jun 24, 2010 09:18 PM »

salam

Could you not cut the fruit in the evening and leave it in the fridge over night?

I always have breakfast, and then a mid morning snack. I know I would be useless if I tried to begin the day on an empty stomach.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Jun 25, 2010 09:38 AM »

ws,

I have to say a healthy breakfast totally helps in weight loss. Also taking vitamins. Just seems like you get a lot less crazy cravings for chips and ice cream and every whatnot later in the day Wink Jazaks for this great article sofia I may be asking you for this as a guest blog soon Smiley

sofia
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2010 07:33 PM »

Salaam!

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
Another good one for Suhoor (may Allah let us reap all of Ramadan's benefits):

Date Bars

Dates
Nuts (almonds, walnuts, pistachios, etc)
Oatmeal (instant or not works)
Coconut flakes
Bee Pollen/Flax Seed/Protein Powder (whatever you have)
Seeds (sunflower, etc)

Warm up the dates on the stove with some water. It should get pretty sticky and thin, but not too thin, and no need to go too long.
Then add the oatmeal (add more water if it's not instant, but not too much), stir for a bit more. Then add the rest of the ingredients and turn off heat. Cool mixture on some wax paper in a pan. Refridgerate, cut and serve.

Sorry I don't have exact amounts/timings, but it's really hard to mess up. You can modify ingredients, but try not to include additional sugars, other than honey, if it's not sticky enough to stay together. You can even roll it up in the wax paper, unroll and then cut into round discs.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

sana, glad to hear you're eating breakfast and I hope you notice you have more energy, insha'Allah. Smiley
fozia - good idea. Smiley
Jannah, no problem. Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: