Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Vigilance: The Prophet said: 'A believer is not stung from the same hole twice.' (Sahîh Bukhârî, Sahîh Muslim)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ibn Arabi  (Read 3546 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« on: Jun 19, 2010 11:50 PM »

Some say it is difficult to understand what he means. For instance:

“My heart has become capable of every form; it is a pasture for gazelles and a convent for Christian monks, and a temple for idols and the pilgrim’s Ka’ba, and the tablets of the Torah and the book of the Koran. I follow the religion of Love: whatever way Love’s camels take, that is my religion and my faith.”
- Ibn al-Arabi

While some say it is what is at the heart of his thinking and being and loving that shines forth, in relation to the above.

As Night Let its Curtains Down in Folds
by Muhyiddin Ibn 'Arabi
(1165 - 1240) Timeline

Peace, Salma, and peace
to those who halt awhile
at al-Hima. It is right
for one like me to greet you.

Would it have hurt her
to return the greeting?
Ah, but a statuette
goddess is beyond control.

They left as night
let its curtains down in folds.
I told them of a lover
strange and lost,

Surrounded by yearnings,
struck by their arrows
on target always,
wherever he goes.

She smiled, showing her side teeth.
Lightning flashed.
I couldn't tell which of the two
split the darkness.

Isn't it enough she said
I am in his heart
where each moment he sees me,
isn't it, no?

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #1 on: Jun 19, 2010 11:52 PM »

“Wheresoever ye turn, there is the face of Allah.”

“Do not praise your own faith exclusively, so that you disbelieve all the rest. If you do this, you will miss much good – nay, you will miss the whole truth of the matter. God the omniscient and omnipresent cannot be confined to any one creed, for He says, ’Wheresoever ye turn, there is the face of Allah.’”

- ibn al-Arabi

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
seekingtawbah
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2010 04:08 AM »

Just wanted to say the ibn arabi and ibn al arabi are two different people, ibn arabi is a sufi scholar who was a very contraversal figure in islam, the scholars of his era called him a heretic and disbeliever, other scholars called him a muslim, but said  his works should be avoided, because his belief that Allah is everywhere, which is  astatement of kufr, and whoever believes Allah is everywhere is a kafir straight out, because we know Allah is above the throne and is  seperate from his creation. Ibn al arabi which halima said is a prominent maliki jurist who wrote great books such as commentary on at tirmidhi and Imam Maliks Muwatta.
seekingtawbah
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2010 04:12 AM »

Some scholars say ibn arabi didnt literally mean Allah is everywhere it was just an expression, but those scholars also said his works should be avoided because there is alot of his qoutesthat go against sharia, And this is why Many scholars have openly called him a kafir.  While the other group says he doesnt mean what he says literally, so his view may be different than his poems and teachings. But their opinion is as well that he should be avoided.  So If your not a sufi halima use caution when reading his works
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2010 10:03 PM »

as salaamu alaykum,

I agree that we should be cautious about Ibn 'Arabi's works... of course we can take benefit and inspiration from many places, but it is good to know that there are some things in his writings that many scholars have objected to, even in his own time, and some have put a question mark on what was actually written by him, and what has been incorrectly attributed to him (like as-Suyuti).  According to one of my teachers some of his works are good like Futuhaat al-Makki, which still has some problems but is in general acceptable, whereas some others works of his have things blatantly out there, like al-Fusus al-Hikam, about which Imam Dhahabi said, "If this is not considered kufr then what is?" Imam adh-Dhahabi basically said that his writings have seriously problematic statements in them, but we refrain from labeling him as a kafir, and withhold judgment about him as a person, out of a sense of caution.  Allah knows best about the truth of the matter, in what he actually taught and believed.

I am not sure if i can agree with the idea that seems to be expressed in the quotes above, that all creeds are right and acceptable in a way (ie perennialism).  Unless I am missing something in my interpretation?  Please correct me if I am wrong...

BTW I am a big poetry lover just as much as the next person with Rumi being one of my favorites, but I believe Rumi has often been mistranslated, whereas Ibn 'Arabi's original works have these problematic statements in them...

Also you may find this book of interest: http://www.amazon.com/Ibn-Arabi-Later-Islamic-Tradition/dp/0791439674/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288592120&sr=8-1

You can read about Imam adh-Dhahabi's opinion on pp 114-117 from an excerpt from the book available here:  http://books.google.com.eg/books?id=4FBXvfLySQwC&lpg=PA115&ots=t7WeTdUMp_&dq=fusus%20arabi%20dhahabi&hl=en&pg=PA114#v=onepage&q=fusus%20arabi%20dhahabi&f=false  

I think his caution about labeling Ibn 'Arabi is amazing, and shows that he was a scholar who was God-fearing and very careful about these matters, unlike many people today.

Jazaki Allahu khayran Sis Halima, sorry for being the nay-sayer here Smiley

Allah knows best,

wasalaam
Abu-Fauzi
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
Abu-Fauzi has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2010 10:32 PM »

Many students, ulama and others have commented on Sayyid Ibn Arabi. All said and done, from whatever way one looks at his works, the Shaykh was undoubtedly a towering figure in human spirituality, whose works were a goldmine of insight and creativity. Sidi Ibn Arabi enjoyed a reputation as a difficult writer, but also as an incomparable teacher...with rewarding works and challenging supremacy. I hope to share some jewels of the Shaykh's work soon on the floor of Jannah, the Madinat-Muslemeen, Insha-Allahu Azza Wa Jallah.
Abu-Fauzi
Bro

« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2010 10:47 PM »

In some part of his book titled, '''Meccan Illuminations'', or simply al-Futuhat al-Makkiyya literally ''The Meccan Spiritual Openings'', Sidi Ibn Arabi, that universally acclaimed towering figure in human spirituality made an observation about the HEART. Find that observation hereby attached for your perusal...food for thought...apt analysis. Make your own evaluation on this Master's gold of a mine.
    My Regards.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2010 06:02 AM »

I agree with being cautious and referring to the scholars in these cases. Yes the internet allows us to have access to all manners of things and we can read it, but 1. will we understand it and 2. will we misinterpret it. so it's best to have teachers who go through these controversial type of books with us. jazaks, ws
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2010 10:51 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

Br. Abu Fauzi, you may be surprised to know that while Ibn 'Arabi is highly respected by people of tassawuf, many shuyukh of tariqas discourage their murids and lay people from reading his works, to protect them from confusion and misunderstanding!

In the age of the internet, as sis jannah alluded to, everything is available for everyone and I think sometimes that can be dangerous.

salaam,
Abu-Fauzi
Bro

« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2010 01:02 PM »

Sis Se7en, Assalam alaikum again,
        Had your comment above not referred to me directly, I would not have responded a second time on this topic...so, afwan please. While one is well aware that Sidi Ibn Arabi is admired by many in the Muslim world, others are not all that well disposed to him or his writings/works. 'Internet influences''regardless, we are all entitled to our understandings and/or views.
     My personal view/understanding on Sidi Ibn Arabi is that studying or reading him in the modern Western academic sense will be laughable, because his main purpose in writing was to convey inspiration, to effect an inner transformation of his readers....thus the Shaykh's sole occupation was making alchemical transmutation of mundane awareness into that which is capable of fulfilling its destiny. I mean the shaykh was a real genius with truly creative mind, whose works/writings retained that touch of abiding universality...undimmed by the passage of time. Again, as I said this remains my view even if I risk being locked as it happened to me recently when I posted something on the Forum on Sufism...though that did not prevent me from reading and learning on such issues/subject.
    Do accept My Best Regards.
                          Wallahu Ta'ala A'álam.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: