Madinat al-Muslimeen Community -  Article:  The Beard is Back Because Men Want to Be Men Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Apr 24, 2014 05:46 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Friends, Rumi, countrymen, lend me your poetry.

+  Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
|-+  Sis/Bros
| |-+  The Brother's Club Hangout
| | |-+  Article: The Beard is Back Because Men Want to Be Men
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Article: The Beard is Back Because Men Want to Be Men  (Read 10132 times)
Faizah
Sis

Reps: 31

« on: Feb 16, 2008 12:00 AM »

As salaamu alaikum

Thought I'd share this article.  Seems if more men in general grow beards then there will be fewer weird looks given to Muslim men with beards.

http://www.diversityinc.com

The Beard Is Back Because Men Want to Be Men
By Yoji Cole

I read a story in TIME magazine about the resurgence of the male beard. The story said that we're seeing more males in entertainment as well as corporate America dropping their razors and allowing their follicles to grow free and long. TIME said the beard trend is an act of rebellion and that men are "trying to prove they are no corporate slave," said Allan Peterkin, a pogonologist, or beard scholar, and author of One Thousand Beards.

Now, I'm no pogonologist and, truthfully, I harbor a slight jealousy of my male comrades who can grow a full beard in eight hours (it takes me at least a month to grow enough facial hair for it to be called a beard or goatee). But I respectfully disagree with TIME's pogonologist.

I say men are growing their beards because physically, we can. If men are rebelling from anything by growing their beards, they are rebelling from a society that is less testosterone-driven and more accepting of effeminate expressions of masculinity and women's equal rights. In truth, it has become somewhat confusing. Our beards are saying, "Stop the emasculation!"

Let me digress and explain what I mean by emasculation. For the record, I am a feminist. I believe women should have all the rights enjoyed by men. I come from a family where women have the stronger voice and throughout my career I have had female mentors and most of my supervisors have been women. I also love my mother enormously and am in awe of my sister's drive and focus.

In colleges throughout the nation, women are earning more degrees than men. There are more women working in the finance and insurance sectors, in the legal and accounting sectors, and in the management of companies and enterprises, according the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Often, women earn nearly as much as men and have access to 401(k) plans, stocks and other financial-earning programs just as men do.

Women also have reproductive rights. They can have sex with only a 1 percent worry of pregnancy. And let's be honest, they also usually choose the guy. Accordingly, now more than ever before, women can leave relationships without fear of poverty. Again, I acknowledge that this is a generalization, but generally speaking, they can because they and society demanded their deserved human rights.   

Beyond that, I and other males of Generation X are probably the group most affected by the divorce rate. A great many of us were reared in single-parent households led by our mothers. After more than 30 years achieving all that they have, after more than 30 years of being taught why women are equal and are not sexual objects laying at the behest of men--of course, the success of which is debatable--men and women of Generation X and younger are confused about what it means in today's world to be a man or a woman.

Who opens the door? Who pays for dinner? Who carves the turkey? Who leads the household? And in those sad times of divorce, who gets alimony?

So after all is said and done, while women have attained many rights and are closer now than ever before to achieving equality, they are the only human beings that can birth children. And, for the most part, beards are for men, and I believe that if more men are choosing to grow one, they're doing so to say, "I am the man." It's like peeing standing up and watching the stream flow out. It's one of the unique things that remain manly.

Beards are a method men use to show solidarity. David Letterman and Conan O'Brien grew their beards to show their support for striking writers. The Penn State men's swim team grew beards to show their unity. What do the manliest of professional athletes--National Football League players--do when they want to bond? They grow beards.

Men recently grew their facial hair to support prostate-cancer awareness. TIME noted that last fall, 2,000 men in the United States participated in "Movember," a month-long mustache-growing competition that raised money for the Prostate Cancer Foundation.

In the National Basketball Association, Cleveland Cavaliers player Drew Gooden is in the throes of a hirsute contest against the Washington Wizards' DeShawn Stevenson. The first to shave loses. Gooden, whose beard is taking on epic proportions and may soon challenge the guys from ZZ Top, is winning.

And let's not forget the New York Yankees. The Major League Baseball club doesn't allow facial hair below the upper lip. Well, in 2004, the Yankees lost the American League championship series to the often-bearded Boston Red Sox, becoming the first team in professional baseball history to lose a best-of-seven series after taking a 3-0 series lead.

So why is growing a beard seemingly popular now? It's because men want to be men. We supported the feminists and now we don't know where we stand with women. We went metrosexual and it was effeminized to the point where tweezing eyebrows and stenciling beards were en vogue. So now we're standing strong, tall and defiant in support of growing our beards, or at least what facial hair we can grow to its fullest! We are men--we're hairy, so deal with it!

Hard2Hit
Bro

Reps: 159

Taubah

« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2008 09:29 AM »

Salaams,

Yeah, and we now have a Bearded FaceBook too :-p

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
blackrose
Sis

Reps: 31

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2008 11:37 PM »

haha I saw the group...first i thought it was gonna get us into ur profile..

neway.. i noticed that same men who shave their beards look compltely diff ..like my husband he looks like a diff person.. I have to be honest when my husband is clean shaven he looks alot more handsome then w the beard (but that could be bc he end up loooking liek someone i know and who i did not like)(his cheekbones stand out when he clean shaven, but they are hidden w the beard) and I have seen another who looks like a completely diff person w/o the beard.. it really changes the way the person looks

Im sure im completely out of subject bc i have not read the article so i will go now:)
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2008 01:19 PM »

Salaams,

Beards rock... Group updated!

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008 08:25 AM »

Salaams,

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=9779893422

We are 43 now and growing  bro

jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2785

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2012 07:00 AM »

So which one of you brothers started this site??

http://betterwithabeard.tumblr.com/

LOL it's really cute and funny, good job!!  shaykh
orangetree
Sis

Reps: 66

« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2012 01:59 PM »

LOL, Jannah, that site is hilarious!  So many Hollywood men look so boyish and feminine, a beard definitely helps to 'butch' them up and make 'em manly!

"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth “you owe me”. Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky." Hafiz
Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1248

« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2012 03:14 PM »

salam

Paul Rudd has a face.  Ergo, Paul Rudd looks better with a beard.

bahahahahahahaha

That site is very funny, I have a face wonder if I'd look good with a beard!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2012 05:20 AM »

{Bad joke1}

*resists*

{Bad joke2}

*resists*

{Bad joke3}

*resists*

*Explodes*

moderatesufi
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2012 10:24 PM »

Quit Cutting Beard! Sheik Yusuf Estes

austmuslimah
Sis

Reps: 101

« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2012 11:33 PM »

hahahaha that site betterwithabeard is soooo funny!! omg ive never seen prince william with a beard before. the only actor who looks good is zachary levi and jake gyllenhal

I have to say tho, im not too much of a beard fan. I dont mind stubble but its really really hard for me to like beards. Im pretty sure I know why, but im not gonna say too much here. Just gonna say that for some reason I associate beards with personality of harshness/machoism.
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2012 06:56 PM »

A.A.

Sis austmuslimah, you do realize that its a sweaping generalization, right?

And just because some of us rock doesn't mean that we are made of stone! =) o_O

You see, I grew my beard when I was like 21, and before that I had been leading a very 'liberal' life to say the least. And when people like me grow our chin hair the sunnah way, we all of a sudden have to carry this burden of being stereotyped.

Not fair : (

jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2785

I heart the Madina

« Reply #12 on: Apr 23, 2012 06:10 AM »

Thought the bros might appreciate this little graphic. Especially the one's with the longer beards ala  oldshaykh

lol

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Madinat al-Muslimeen Community - Article: The Beard is Back Because Men Want to Be Men

Nostalgia racing theme by © Mustang forum. Powered by SMF 1.1.18 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines