Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

This is the winter of our dawah.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: im addicted to madinat al muslimeen  (Read 2769 times)
safa
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
safa has no influence :(

« on: Mar 18, 2010 05:55 AM »

im so addicted to it i spend hours on it, and i love it:) Smiley
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2010 05:35 PM »

Salaams,

"This too, will pass"  bebzi

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2010 06:02 PM »

safa lol take it slow... some ppl come on here all enthused but then we never see them again after a month!

Hard2hit ur still on here years later, and after being banned at one time...  idunno

Hard2Hit
Bro

Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2010 02:56 AM »

The addiction would pass, yet one can always have some puffs of smoke occasionally  shadyguy

And its the first forum I ever visited, been like 10+ years now... what do you expect!

As for me getting banned, i'd hunt you down for it  pirate

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
safa
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2010 11:18 AM »

ahahahaha, i dnt think i cudd eva get sik of dis place, Cheesy Wink
lucid
Bro

lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2010 05:38 PM »

once you get bashed on the head a bunch of times from other posters, believe me, you won't be so enamoured about the madina....

trust me...just a matter of time...
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Mar 21, 2010 12:29 AM »

hey, hey! we only bash the ones we like  flowers4u
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22, 2010 08:45 PM »

salaam

agree with hard2hit

ahh dont listen too listen lucid. It won't happen to you. You are not crazy like him...or me.. or hard to hit hahhaha
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010 05:31 PM »

once you get bashed on the head a bunch of times from other posters, believe me, you won't be so enamoured about the madina....

trust me...just a matter of time...

And yet, you are still here....

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010 12:40 AM »

salam,

We get a lot of new people but they never stay. Are we really that unfriendly a bunch  fez Or do ppl just get excited and join but don't have time to participate later on? Maybe some ppl are just born lurkers?? O what philosophical questions Wink
safa
Sis

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010 08:51 AM »

ahahaahahahahahah u guys are a funny bunch Cheesy
Sarah Amena
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Sarah Amena has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: Jun 07, 2010 06:16 PM »

This site is rather addicting.... I just deleted my Facebook account and I am replacing it with this one!! This site is fascinating!!
skhansj
Bro

skhansj has no influence :(

« Reply #12 on: Jun 07, 2010 08:23 PM »

I actually wonder how madinat al muslimeen compares to Facebook, Twitter (both of which I have experiences with) and other for-Muslim sites like naseeb.com (I have no experience there, so I'll let someone else describe the experience on that site).

Twitter is weird. It's a great place to 'make noise'. I consider it almost like advertising (which is why mostly older, professionals use it). It helps you to establish a presence as a 'thought-leader'. I've made quite a few professional contact on Twitter .. although I find actual, physical networking events in the local city to be more useful. It's useful for finding people that 'you would like to know'.

Facebook is more intimate as you share more content. People can actually see pictures you upload (or pictures where you'd been tagged). It's mostly for people that 'you know from before' (although I've added a few people that I've never met, but whom I respect, and know through others).

Madinat al muslimeen is a smaller community for sure, which means that you can actually recognize people after a while. It's like living in a small town vs. a big city.

The big city usually has tons of facilities, activities and people, but it takes incredible effort to keep it functioning and clean, and there are always crazies around (anyone witnessed some of the sick groups that have recently come up on Facebook ?).

The small town usually has less stuff, less activities and people, but as a citizen in it, you can actually work to make it better and feel good being there. You actually feel 'home' in some ways.

I suppose if if actually got flamed on madinat al muslimeen, I'd feel different, but I think that I've only stuck to the incontrovertible so far. I used to take part in USENET discussion, but there were too many crazies there. As madinat al muslimeen has BBS roots, it has kept the coziness of the small, select 'long-tail' specialized interest-focused approach of its membership. Plus, I love the icons and background images (wonder who the graphic designer is.. he/she sure has a love of details).

I really like the policy of forcing new people to post an intro when they first register; it adds to the feeling of community. I am assuming that there is a policy of how to deal with abandoned account as well.

Anyways, I know (from personal experiences over 17 years online) that online relationships are fleeting (like the rest of this life.. although I do have some wonderful friends I met online -- Alhamdulillah). Unless you actually meet the person behind the alias in real life, you can't say that they are a real friend, although you could have respect for the person based on their contributions and sayings (I like to judge the tree by the fruit it produces) and never have met them.

I remind myself that we need to attempt to balance our real friendships, with the virtual ones we make here. After all, Islam is the moderate religion, and we follow the middle path (and presumably are very comfortable with tradeoffs and optimization problems, and other form of underspecified scenarios ... ).

bebzi
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #13 on: Jun 07, 2010 09:03 PM »

wsalam,

Sarah I constantly deactivate my facebook account! At times it just gets overwhelming, too much information, too many people's opinions. At the same time I think there's so much going on there that just bothers me. Little Muslim girls in provocative poses and dress?? Ugh. Lack of privacy on FB. Skhansj's metaphor is very apt. It does feel like I'm living in a big city like NY or something. Relationships become so shallow. People compete in pictures 'oh here's my pictures of my vacation in barbados'. It causes way too much drama in my life and others, yet we're still on there! Ack.

Skhansj I actually really really like twitter above facebook. It has more of a 'free environment'. You can kind of say/share whatever you want, but it might be just because the crowd on twitter is different.

We're definitely a small town compared to all that. I think we've lost a lot of posting/people to facebook, because it is such a robust platform. But I guess that's just a sign of the times...Also, when I started this website many years ago most of the posters were in college, as they've aged, they've gotten married, had kids etc and are so busy in their lives and have stopped posting. But the interesting thing is some people have stayed around and I don't think our relationship is fleeting. We haven't had the need meet each other either. I think there is a hardcore group of people here that have been here a long time and even if they leave, they come back. We don't really know everything about each other a la facebook level which is good and comfortable for all of us I think. But we do support and help each other which was and is really the purpose of this site.
Sarah Amena
Sis

« Reply #14 on: Jun 08, 2010 03:55 AM »

Jannah ~

So SO SO  SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TRUE! People do compete with their pictures to showoff their lifestyles, whenever I would surf through the other peoples' Facebook pages,  I would feel unfulfilled and even bad about myself, it was just a waste of time. Lol  how can I compete when I live a fairly "dull" life compared to vacations in Hawaii and such...  Or go out to the bars or do any of the stuff.

This site is different, you actually feel the support radiating through the various threads  Kiss
And most importantly, I am learning a great deal too.  I have a long way to go to learn about my faith and the best way is through my sisters and brothers in Islam ... I  flowersis thobebro

Also, I have no experience with Twitter, only Facebook and a short time with Myspace and both of those social networking sites made me feel bad about myself lol!!
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #15 on: Jun 08, 2010 07:34 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Fret not about the addiction, I believe we have a variety of patches available which should help in the short term Wink

But seriously, it would be interesting to do a study of users of the internet by the length of time they have been online.

I wonder if there would be any significant differences between those who have been online for over 10 years for example as opposed to those who are only just beginning to discover it for themselves now.

Anyways, I know (from personal experiences over 17 years online)

Wow, was the internet even working 17 years ago?  bro

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
skhansj
Bro

« Reply #16 on: Jun 08, 2010 03:30 PM »

Wow, was the internet even working 17 years ago?  bro

What can I say? I'm probably a bit older than most of the others on this forum... and probably a certified, 100% genuine geek :-)

For the record, the Internet officially started working in the late 70s. Till the late 80's it was mostly in academia and military circles.

I don't feel old really (I'm 33)... but the facts probably belie me. I jacked-in to the 'net at a time when there was no graphical browsers (I used to use Lynx, and later MOSIAC). I built one of the first three web-sites in Pakistan, including an award winning directory of NGOs working for poverty alleviation in the country. Boy, that was a while ago (in 1993/4).

The web sites were all done manually in those days, with every link lovingly crafted by hand, with frames, and tables, and H1 tags and horizontal rules (you don't see those much) being the norm. Drupal, Blogger or other CMS/web platforms did not exist (you got Geocities and Angelfire later but... you had to learn FTP etc)

The net-savvy community in those days was very small. You got into this stuff because you genuinely were interested.. I do miss the camaraderie of those days when there was a small group of hacker dudes and dudettes out there... and you essentially knew them all.

Madinat al muslimeen has that same cozy community feeling which I used to experience with the hacker-subculture, but towards goals that are more noble, i.e. mutual support of Muslims, and the increase in our ilm and understanding :-)

Sarah Amena
Sis

« Reply #17 on: Jun 08, 2010 07:59 PM »

Salam Bro skhansj,

So since you are super tech saavy, I got a question!!  How do I delete my cookies at work??? I have tried going into internet options and deleting my history and it won't work  Shocked
The only site I have been on that I might get in trouble about is Facebook (grrr stupid addiction to social networking sites   smack    and they have been cracking down on non related internet usage.... So now I need to cover my tracks  bolt

lol thanks Bro!

P.S.  Turkish and Pakistan?Huh? I LOVE IT!!! I love Tarkan lol
skhansj
Bro

« Reply #18 on: Jun 08, 2010 08:30 PM »

w'salaam Sr. Amena,
'super-tech-savvy' ... I've just had exposure to this stuff for a while longer than most people can handle. That doesn't make me a tech-guru!

Anyways, I do have an answer to your question:

1. For IE, try this procedure:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835

2. Alternatively, for Firefox, try:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2323049_delete-cookies-firefox.html

Even better, Firefox has a neat feature Tools->Start Private Browsing, which does not retain ANY information.

If you are really paranoid, you can keep a copy of firefox on a memory stick (USB) and run it from there. This should generate all the temporary files on the same drive on which your firefox is installed (i.e. on the memory stick ). When you are done, take the memory stick out, and voila, no trace left behind.

As a rule, I prefer firefox to IE. Less viruses, more add-ons etc.

Tarkan is very popular in Turkiye BTW. Actually, he's popular everywhere!! The lyrics to his songs are quite suggestive though, and make the heart beat a bit faster, which does not help with the rest of my efforts  Undecided.

I haven't heard one of his songs in years.... though I used to enjoy them when I was younger.

Does anyone actually have a suggestion for an online radio-station that streams Sami Yusuf, etc. I have not found a good Internet radio stream on shoutcast.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #19 on: Jun 08, 2010 09:04 PM »

Let me just add that while you could cover your tracks on your local computer, you can't at the server level. And there they can log and see what sites you visit and your history!! Don't think it's foolproof if you just clear cache/cookies! Better to visit websites and what not on your lunch break and preferably on a different computer.
skhansj
Bro

« Reply #20 on: Jun 08, 2010 09:36 PM »

@jannah is right. If they use caching servers like squid, they have a full record for everything that passes through the wires. I have not been very happy with some of the stuff that I've come across in those logs... there are things far worse than facebook that people spend their time on   Lips Sealed

Anyways, if going on social media sites is going to get you fired, you probably should avoid it (especially if there are precedents in your firm). Otherwise, get a blackberry/iPhone with a data plan, or a netbook with a USB 3G card (and no, don't use the corporate wifi!). This should not take over from your work though!

If you're completing your work fine, I don't think that it should cause any issues if you spend a reasonable amount of time on social media.

In these scenarios, by all means, do your social media interactions during your lunch break etc, and make sure that you have a plan for your work. I try and always have a 'do next' activity for all my projects so I don't end up spinning my wheels wondering what to do. It's like we are recommended that even after you finish reading the Quran, you immediately go to page 1 and start again, so that you do not 'abandon' the Quran (as you've finished it); the same analogy probably holds for work.

Best of luck Sr. Amena.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: