// 30% in Arab world illiterate
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “A house divided against itself cannot stand.” Abraham Lincoln quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 30% in Arab world illiterate  (Read 1280 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Feb 16, 2008 06:06 AM »

Arab education 'falling behind'
By Dale Gavlak
BBC News, Amman

The World Bank has said the quality of education in the Arab world is falling behind other regions and needs urgent reform if it is to tackle unemployment.

In a report, bank officials said Arab states had to make improving education their top priority, because it went hand-in-hand with economic development.

The region had not seen the increasing literacy and school enrollment witnessed in Asia and Latin America, they said.

Djibouti, Yemen, Iraq and Morocco were ranked the worst educational reformers.

Another study carried out in January by the Tunis-based Arab League Educational Cultural and Scientific Organisation found that 30% of the approximately 300 million people in the Arab World were illiterate.

Con't @ http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/middle_east/7227610.stm
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2008 02:17 PM »

Salam alaikum

I must say, I am surprised that that figure is not higher!  We are *so* failing as far as education is concerned.  WE, are supposed to be amongst the best educated and literate people in this world, if we followed what our beautiful Deen has taught us!

From personal experience: with the possible exception of Palestine, and Christian Arabs across the M/E...I have found that the *educated* people are the least educated I have come across in all my travels.  So imagine how *uneducated* the really uneducated are?  Sub7anAllah, I find this really sad! Sad  Why? 

Africa is trying so hard!  If you ask any African child what is most important to them, they will say getting a good education.  We all know that this is the key to the future...and yet, the Muslims are falling behind.

A lot has to do with the education system in many countries.  Talk about ancient, outdated methods, unqualified and unmotivated teachers, overcrowding...etc...

yet, I have found in Palestine, that despite ALL their problems, their teachers dont get paid, more than 50 kids in a class, bombings, closures, no schools, no books etc etc...they have a DRIVE for knowledge, and a yearning for education.  It is truly remarkable.

Compared to the youth in Syria, where education is free!!!  And who takes advantage of the system?  The Christian Arabs, who are exceptional and following what we as Muslims should be doing.

Ok, I have a pet-peeve about Muslims and attitudes to education...let me go
Salam
S.
Faizah
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
Faizah has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2008 11:03 PM »

As salaamu alaikum

From personal experience: with the possible exception of Palestine, and Christian Arabs across the M/E...I have found that the *educated* people are the least educated I have come across in all my travels.  So imagine how *uneducated* the really uneducated are?  Sub7anAllah, I find this really sad! Sad  Why? 

The part about the "educated" sometimes being the least educated, reminds me of those my mother used to call "educated fools".  As I child I had no idea what she was talking about but as an adult I understand the concept as I've met a few.

Africa is trying so hard!  If you ask any African child what is most important to them, they will say getting a good education.  We all know that this is the key to the future...and yet, the Muslims are falling behind.

A lot has to do with the education system in many countries.  Talk about ancient, outdated methods, unqualified and unmotivated teachers, overcrowding...etc...

yet, I have found in Palestine, that despite ALL their problems, their teachers dont get paid, more than 50 kids in a class, bombings, closures, no schools, no books etc etc...they have a DRIVE for knowledge, and a yearning for education.  It is truly remarkable.

Compared to the youth in Syria, where education is free!!!  And who takes advantage of the system?  The Christian Arabs, who are exceptional and following what we as Muslims should be doing.

Salam
S.

It is amazing how those that live in countries where a good education is free, often take it for granted and so reject it and those living in countries where obtaining an education period, let alone a good one and a free one, embrace it with all their being because they know that education is the key to improving their lives and the lives of their families.

I too don't know what's the problem with some of our fellow Muslims with their almost aversion to getting an education, particularly a secular one, so I share that pet-peeve and it goes further when it's Muslim brothers who absolutely, positively believe that Muslim sisters should be uneducated (this attitude even comes from those that were born/raised in western countries).

As salaamu alaikum

Fa'izah
cheese
« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2008 05:35 AM »

This is the education coalition forces invaded Afghanistan to provide:
LeylaNur
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
LeylaNur has no influence :(

Remembrance of Allah is the true source of peace..

« Reply #4 on: Sep 03, 2008 07:41 AM »

As salaamu alaikum

The part about the "educated" sometimes being the least educated, reminds me of those my mother used to call "educated fools".  As I child I had no idea what she was talking about but as an adult I understand the concept as I've met a few.

Salam
S.

It is amazing how those that live in countries where a good education is free, often take it for granted and so reject it and those living in countries where obtaining an education period, let alone a good one and a free one, embrace it with all their being because they know that education is the key to improving their lives and the lives of their families.

I too don't know what's the problem with some of our fellow Muslims with their almost aversion to getting an education, particularly a secular one, so I share that pet-peeve and it goes further when it's Muslim brothers who absolutely, positively believe that Muslim sisters should be uneducated (this attitude even comes from those that were born/raised in western countries).

As salaamu alaikum

Fa'izah

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that unfortunately, culture rules in those countries and not Islam. Westerners always have the idea that Islam oppresses women when it's really these sick-in-the-head, insecure men who happen to call themselves Muslims.

They will cut womens genitals off and sew them up to soothe their egos that they have an honorable woman.. They will easily murder the same woman if she is even accused of something unsavory.. They will kill their own sisters to preserve their stupid honor.. They want women to be uneducated so they can feel superior to them in every way.. They want the youngest, most cloistered women who have never been around men so they can't be compared to any other man in any other way at all.. Don't want women to drive because they think they might go somewhere or do something without their permission..

SERIOUSLY, don't these men know that all of this simply makes them look weak, insecure and indeed, PATHETIC? Every time I hear about some guy in some rural place that happens to be a Muslim country who says they would beat a woman because they saw her ankles and became filled with uncontrollable lust (for real), I feel like they really need to get a grip and not the woman who didn't feel like wearing socks in 100 degree weather. Any guy who gets "filled with lust" over an ankle needs to be shot and put out of his misery.

When I hear these kind of these I get physically sick. I love Islam but the cultures that Islam stuck most firmly in, are also the countries that seem to value their cultures over religion and only embrace it where they think it benefits them. (twisting Quranic text and sunnah so it benefits them or saying something is Islamic when it's not)

Truly it's not Islam that oppresses women, it's weak, pathetic, spoiled men.

DISCLAIMER: For all the brothers out there who think I'm talking about them.. I'm not talking about all men at all, merely the ones that I mentioned in my post. I don't hate all Muslim men or paint them with the same brush, but I'm sure you know of the types that I am talking about!

I try to remember to count my blessings each day because I have many:

To be thankful for my health, and that of my loved ones, the presence of my husband and the continuation of our marriage, that we can pay our bills and have food on the table..

So many blessings but often, so little thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: