Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Gentleness: The Prophet said: 'Whoever is deprived of gentleness is deprived of all good.' (Sahîh Muslim)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The world's oldest new mother  (Read 1094 times)
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« on: Jul 01, 2010 08:08 PM »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/38035229#38035229?from=en-us_msnhp&GT1=42007

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Sarah Amena
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Sarah Amena has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2010 04:25 AM »

Wow... I don't even know what to say.... For some reason it just seems so wrong  sigh
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2010 07:50 AM »

ws,

It's true there is a lot of stigma in India for couples without kids. I can see why ppl would go to these extremes. Young couples would do the same but apparently for her technology only caught up when she was 70!! and triplets!!! wow

There might be some moral issues here but the women who were discussing it just sounded stupid and offensive, not everyone is a wealthy (white) old woman living in American culture.
tahirah
Sis

Reputation Power: 19
tahirah has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Jul 02, 2010 11:30 AM »

Salaam,

I saw a program about this woman and other post menapausal first-time mothers some weeks ago. I wasn't as disturbed as I thought I would be by the age. I was more intrigued by their reasons for doing for wanting to have kids at that age. One woman said she was not able to settle down until later in life because she opted to take care of her ill father until he passed away. She didn't regret that choice, but she still wanted to have a family. That type of sacrifice is different for a woman than for a man. Men at least have the option of marrying younger women.  oldshaykh  hijabisis

What struck me about the Indian couple was that they felt so overwhelmed by the pressure from their community that, when they said they "tried everything", that included black magic. Even after they had a girl, people were telling them it should have been a boy. (Just goes to show, you can't really please everybody). I was amazed when I heard the doctor say that the 70-yr-old woman was more fit for the procedure than her younger sister (whom the man also married in hopes of having a child).

t
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2010 04:18 PM »

salam

Did any of you read the follow up stories about older women having babies post menopause, the previous oldest mother is now dying, she's leaving behind a toddler. This is so wrong.

IVF as been around for 30 years, they should have had it done at an age a normal pregnancy would have been viable.

There's a reason women undergo the menopause and cannot continue to have children forever.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Sarah Amena
Sis

« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2010 05:50 PM »

salamsmiley
Ok, so I tried watching this clip again without watching the commentary and instead of feeling slightly disturbed it made me sad...  What these poor elderly women will do to their bodies  just to be accepted by their society  Sad

Fozia,
WOW so sad that she is dying and leaving behind her child, I am sure that weights heavily on her heart. Regardless of a woman's age I am sure she feels that maternal bond.. . Just so sad  Undecided
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2010 11:15 PM »

salam

Here's the story, I think it's awful to be honest.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1286412/Worlds-oldest-mother-Rajo-Devi-Lohan-reveals-dying.html

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Sarah Amena
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 2010 12:43 AM »

Thank you Sister Fozia for posting the follow up....   sigh
Kind of depressed now...
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Jul 04, 2010 05:57 AM »

ws,

It is sad for sure, but I think we're not taking into account the culture that's involved. Over there the whole extended family is a unit. If the mother dies there are still grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins etc. It's not like here where the child would revert to the state or something. I don't know I just feel bad for these women, I know what it's like over there it's really horrible being childless...and when finally the technology has arrived to help them I'm sure they feel it's a miracle and they're willing to take the high risks even to themselves...

I think the problem here is not with those women themselves, but the culture. Why are motherless women willing to risk even death for this. Why doesn't the culture accept women without children. Even that one husband divorced and married two other women to try to have a child. Aren't there other ways for people to give to have a legacy for the future besides sons. And so on... Huh?

(If we want to bring this to a more western discussion, what about those American women who are having multiple babies... ie 2-5... There's a story about sextuplets born to a British couple on the same page there but there's no controversy about that even though one has died already? Will they be able to provide for those children physically and emotionally? What about single women going to sperm banks and choosing to have a baby alone? Why are they also forcing their bodies into these peculiar situations to have children in this way...  Huh?)
tahirah
Sis

Reputation Power: 19
tahirah has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Jul 06, 2010 06:46 AM »

I agree Jannah. I have seen only pieces of this in Desi-American culture and I have to say the stigmas and the family/community pressure can be really tough. If you are not married by a certain age, if you don't have a certain job/status, if you don't have kids immediately ... (sounds very Jane Austen  reader). To be fair, every culture comes with its own strengths and weaknesses. The purest way for us to overcome our cultural baggage is to become better Muslims and to make sure the next generation inherits the treasure and not the trash.

t
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: