// Explain what Hamza Yusuf said
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: I live in a neighborhood so bad that you can get shot while getting shot. - Chris Rock
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Explain what Hamza Yusuf said  (Read 905 times)
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« on: Jul 26, 2010 07:28 AM »

salaam

saw this while browing the sheikh

This quote comes from "Purification of The Heart" by Sheikh Hamza Yusuf:

[When somebody spills tea on your carpet] "Don't be like 'Do you know how much that cost me? Look at what you just did', you should be like 'Oh, no-no-no don't worry about it, I love tea on my carpet'"

lol I would definately not say 'oh my gosh look what you did'  I will be like thats ok , not a problem, but 'I love tea on my carpet!' isn't that going overboard?
skhansj
Bro

Reputation Power: 1
skhansj has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2010 01:49 PM »

I did come across that quote, and it reminded me of the whole 'turn the other cheek' thing.

I suppose it has to do with being generous and patient, and 'swallowing your anger' (so it never even appears) and being forgiving. It's a very high standard that only the most disciplined people could aim for.

It is a bit unnatural though. Most people would snap in anger, some with simply glower, and a few would become sullenly sad.

You have to look into your heart, and if you heart tells you that this tea on the carpet instance has no impact on your relationship is with Almighty Allah, who cares about the tea on the carpet then!

Cheesy
sofia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2010 02:23 PM »

Salaam!

Being a bit clumsy, I actually had something like this happen to me once. Only I was the one spilling something.   Embarrassed
And when the person (who wasn't Hamza Yusuf, unfortunately) replied in such a way, not only did it remove the fear of her anger, but it actually made me feel like she loved me more than she loved the "carpet" (or whatever I happened to destroy).

hijabisis

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: