Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Staying Safe and Healthy During Ramadan  (Read 1206 times)
CoyoteMemories
Madina Seeker

Reps: 1

« on: Jul 18, 2010 03:29 PM »

Hello everyone,

With the encouragement of my friends I have decided to celebrate Ramadan this year as I learn. My friends have explained to me the basics of Ramadan and I'm in the process of researching it as well. This time of year in Korea is very hot and very humid. What can I do to prepare my body for this fast as well as keeping myself safe and healthy during the actual fast? I don't want to dehydrate or break the fast by drinking, and it has occurred to me that I'm not first (nor the last) to celebrate Ramadan in such weather, so I figure I'd be better off asking about this.

Thank you,
Coyotememories

jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2778

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Jul 18, 2010 04:58 PM »

Hi,

This year is going to be a real challenge for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere. Fasts will begin around 4am and go to almost 8pm in the evening. I think the best tips we can give you are:

- Make sure you are in good health going in. If you have diabetes or other medical conditions ask your doctor if you are *able* to fast. If not, you aren't required to fast and can make it up other ways.

- To eat a good suhoor (this is the pre-dawn meal before fasting). Wake up before sunrise and make sure to eat a good hearty breakfast.

- Get adequate rest during Ramadan.

- Eat a nutritious Iftar (fast breaking meal). Try to lay off the sweets and stick with the good hearty stuff.

- Make sure to drink a lot of water during the times you're not fasting.

BrKhalid
Bro

Reps: 273

« Reply #2 on: Jul 19, 2010 06:57 AM »

What can I do to prepare my body for this fast as well as keeping myself safe and healthy during the actual fast?

In addition to the above advice, obviously be a bit more aware of what kind of physical activity you will be doing during the fasting day and plan accordingly.

Also if you have certain fixed times where you usually have lunch/tea etc, have a think about what you will do during these times instead of eating/drinking.

Once your body starts to adjust to the new routine, it should start to get a bit easier.

We are, after all, creatures of habit!!

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]

Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1245

« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2010 09:44 AM »

salam

My plan is to take holida for the last week of Ramadan.

Also I can (so I will), slightly adjust my hours, so I get ot work early and leave early, thereby hopefully missing the rush hour.

Also I tend to find that Allah makes fasting so much easier for us during Ramadan, I've done a few trial fasts to prepare and yes it was difficult, and as Sr. Jannah says we'll be fasting from 4am till 8:30 I think (if not slightly longer).

But Inshallah Allah suffices us, and we can also make loads of dua that the fasts are easier on us inshallah.

When it gets very tough for me, I make dua thanking Allah for the food we have waiting for us to break fast, for the shelter we have to retreat in when we get too hot... I've seen so much poverty where the poor have absolutely no end in sight for their fasts and no shelter from the scorching sun till it sets.

Having been bought up in the west, I can't watch the poor on the streets of India without emptying out my purse and even then its utterly heart rending.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: