Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Accountability: The Prophet said: 'The burden of proof is upon the plaintiff and the taking of oath is upon the defendant.' (Sunan Al-Bayhaqî)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The heart is like a bird...  (Read 1929 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Feb 17, 2008 07:02 AM »

Ibn Al-Qay-yim Al-Jawzi (in Madarij As-salikeen) said:

The heart in its journey towards Allah Glorified and Exalted be Him is like a bird; its head is love, and its two wings are hope and fear. When the head and the two wings are sound and healthy, then the bird will fly well. If the head of the bird is cut off, it immediately dies, and when either or both wings are deficient, the bird cannot fly properly and it may become the victim of a hunter that passes by.

From this analogy we learn that without love of Allah we cannot successfully “journey towards Him,” and without hope in Allah’s mercy or fear from His punishment we may be easy victims for shaytaan

So the Muslim then, with resolute love for Allah Glorified and Exalted be Him , lives between hope and fear. He “call(s) upon Allah out of fear and hope” and he “forsake(s) [his] bed, to invoke [his] Lord in fear and hope, and [he] spend(s) (charity in Allah’s Cause) out of what We have bestowed on them.”

FEAR:
Imam Ahmad recorded from `A’ishah may God be pleased with her : I said: “O Messenger of Allah, ‘And those who give that which they give with their hearts full of fear, because they are sure to return to their Lord,’ are these the ones who steal and commit Zina and drink alcohol while fearing Allah?” Ibn Abi Hatim recorded that the Prophet Peace be upon him said: “No, O daughter of As-Siddiq, they are the ones who pray and fast and give in charity while fearing that it will not be accepted from them, (It is these who hasten in the good deeds.)) At-Tirmidhi recorded something similar.

Umar ibn Al-Khattab may God be pleased with him said: If an angel had come down and announced that everyone would enter paradise except one person, I would fear that I would be that person.

And how do we increase our fear of Allah’s punishment?

Ibn Mas’ood may God be pleased with him said: If a person has knowledge he will fear Allah. So we should increase our knowledge. And The Prophet Peace be upon him said as narrated by Anas may God be pleased with him “I swear by The One in Whose Hand my soul is, if you saw what I saw you would laugh little, and cry excessively”, people said, ‘O Prophet of Allah! What did you see?’ He Peace be upon him replied, “I saw Paradise and Hell” (Muslim). So we should reflect on the punishment of “him who “Tagha” (transgressed all bounds, in disbelief, oppression and evil deeds of disobedience to Allah) and preferred the life of this world. Verily his abode will be Hell-Fire,” The “Fire whose fuel is men and stones”

HOPE:
Anas reported that the Prophet, Peace be upon him entered upon a young boy who was dying. The Prophet Peace be upon him asked: “How are you?” The boy replied: “O Messenger of Allah, I am in-between hoping in Allah and fearing for my sins.” The Prophet Peace be upon him said: “The like of these two qualities do not unite in the heart of a servant except that Allah gives him what he hopes for and protects him from what he feared.” [Hasan - Collected by at-Tirmidhee & Ibn Maajah. Authenticated by al-Albaanee in Ahkaamul-Janaa’iz (no. 2).]

Umar ibn Al-Khattab may God be pleased with him  also said: and if the angel had come down and announced that everyone will enter Hellfire except for one person, I would hope to be that person.

And Allah Glorified and Exalted be Him says:
and never give up hope of Allah’s Mercy. Certainly no one despairs of Allah’s Mercy, except the people who disbelieve.” [Surat Yusuf, verse 87]

And so “to your Lord (Alone) turn (all your intentions and hopes and) your invocations.” And ask yourself “What is the matter with you, [that you fear not Allah (His punishment), and] you hope not for reward (from Allah or you believe not in His Oneness).”
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: