Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

All the world's a dars.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Accidents can happen to you... when you least expect it  (Read 1392 times)
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« on: Jul 26, 2010 09:00 PM »

Salams,

Just wanted to share an accident I was involved in last month.

The thing is... it wasn't a car accident, rather an accident that happened at a party way back in June...

I was at my sisters new condo celebrating the arrival of her second son who was born a few days earlier... since it was a new place, she had no furniture, so we we all sitting on the floor enjoying the company of the ones we loved.

After maghrib, a relative of mine was serving tea. However, she did something thats not done anymore, which is get a large tray and fill it up with cups of tea...

I was playing with my 2 year old nephew at the time, so I didn't know all the details till later...

When as she left the kitchen, she gave a cup of tea from one side of the tray to my father who was sitting beside me, after which time, the tray became mis-balanced, and fell.

Unfortunately, all the very hot tea fell on both my legs, ankles and feet... I didn't not see it, as I was looking to one side playing with my nephew, and could not move my feet as I was almost lying down at that time, with my nephew in my arms.

I threw him off of me and then jumped up in pain... what made matters worse as that I was wearing socks, so the hot tea was stuck on my ankles.

The pain was the worst pain you will ever feel... because although the water was gone, the area got worse and worse. We made a few mistakes that probably made things worse... such as not dialing the emergency number (911) or going to the hospital right away or not calling the ambulance  but instead driving to the hospital (although 2 miles/ 3 km away...we had all the red lights of the world)

Ultimately, I went to the hospital and was told that I had 1st and 2nd degree burns on both legs and ankles, and the left leg had a potential to be a 3rd degree burn... the ER doctor booked an appointment with the plastic surgeon to determine if I need plastic surgery and who has been managing at my case every since, with weekly visits to the hospital and daily home visits from the nurses to redress the wounds... and has including me missing a week of work in a morphine induced rest period, and another two weeks in a wheelchair at work so that I wouldn't loose my job (another story, I just started a new job in a new place 2 weeks before the accident).

Even now, I am wearing flip flops and no socks with dress shirt and dress pants at work to allow the area to heal...

After all this, we are thankful that the accident didn't happen three feet away, as that is were my nephew was... or happen to my hands or face... I can cover the now ugly scars with a sock...

To best describe what happened, imagine someone pouring a kettle full of hot water on your ankle.... and then afterwards... it keeps on boiling and burning - even though there is no more hot water on it. It's a reminder of hellfire... except that hellfire is 70 times hotter...

The skin was so hot that the ice that we had placed on the accident site completely melted by the time we got to the hospital...!

Finally, in the ER room itself, while waiting for the doctor, the pain was so bad that it really felt like my brain was boiling ...another reminder.

I'm not out of the woods yet, but allahumdulillah... most of the wounds has healed...and thank Allah, our health care is free, otherwise the 2 dozen nurse visits, the 1/2 dozen plastic surgeon visits and the 6 visits to the ER due to complications would have probably bankrupted me by now...

Lessons Learned:
Tea should not be served on trays anymore - its no longer done.
The person serving the tea had rushed back from a very long and hard camping trip - so she was very exhausted and tired.
Even small quantities of hot water can be dangerous (this was like a quart / litre range)

Clearly this is a reminder for the hereafter... thanks for reading

thobebro
   UBAB

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
Christine_1208
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2010 09:19 PM »

Alhamdulillah brother, Even though a horrible accident I am happy to hear you are recovering. Burns are one of the most painful things to heal from. May Allah ease your sufferings.

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2010 09:48 PM »

salam

Oh no... that sounds very painful. I hope you are better now br. UBAB.  May Allah give you a full recovery.

I agree about being careful while serving tea or coffee.  Best to pour it on the counter in the kitchen or on the dining table and ask everyone to come fetch their cup! 
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2010 03:38 AM »

wsalam,

that's so horrible bro!! i'm so sad to hear of it. a much smaller similar thing happened to me awhile back (dropped tea on myself and it kept hurting A LOT! i used ice and creams and things for a few days or so and finally it got better). we desis drink tons of hot tea, have to be more careful. may Allah give you shifaa and erase your sins for the pain you went thru.
blackrose
Sis

blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2010 04:09 AM »

Thanks for the reminder that you just never know what might happen. We need to remember Allah swt constantly.
May Allah swt give you full shifa
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2010 08:16 AM »

That sounds really terrible... may Allah grant you complete shifaa...

Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2010 01:09 PM »

Asak
Ya Allah- May Allah swt ease your pain.
Once I heard a lecture by Hamza Yusuf. He was talking about being burned and how everyone he knows has been scaleded if not burned. It is a good reminder for us to reflect of the hellfire.
Every time I get burned- cooking usually- I take a moment to ask Allah swt to protect me and to forgive me.

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2010 04:06 PM »

salam

I cringe just reading your post!!! May allah grant you shifaa.

You know I always use trays to bring in tea, but I tend to set the tea tray down before serving the tea... I'm now going to ensure I always do that. Hope you're recovery is swift inshallah.

Sr Kathy I always have lavender oil and Aloe vera gel handy in my kitchen for cooking burns...

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
UBAB
Bro

UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #8 on: Jul 29, 2010 04:57 PM »

As-salam-mu-alaikum,

Thank you for your kind words everyone ...

Wa-alaikum-as-salam,

thobebro
   UBAB

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
maryamarub
Sis

Reputation Power: 5
maryamarub has no influence :(

VERILY ALLAH IS WITH THOSE WHO ARE PATIENT

« Reply #9 on: Aug 15, 2010 11:55 AM »

SALAM
MAY ALLAH MAKE YOU MORE PATIENT AND REWARD YOU FOR THAT. WISHING YOU QUICK RECOVERY
Jaihoon
Jaihoon
Bro

Reputation Power: 21
Jaihoon barely matters :(Jaihoon barely matters :(

« Reply #10 on: Aug 15, 2010 12:17 PM »

May Allah give you shifa soon

Ilyas
Bro

Reputation Power: 2
Ilyas has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: Aug 15, 2010 05:36 PM »

May Allah give you shifaa.

This reminds me of what happened to my two brothers, I still cringe when thinking about one of them. My younger sister was just born and so my mom was tending to her while my dad did the house chores. He had boiled some water to wash the dishes with and was carrying it out of the kitchen area which was right next to the bedroom. We had put a curtain in the doorway to block the sun but let fresh air come in from outside. My mom and little brother who was no more than 3 at the time were playing hide and seek. He was walking out of the room while looking at my mom to make sure she's not peeking or anything while at the same time my dad was walking past the room from behind the curtain. My brother bumped into my dad making him splash water on his hand and lose control of the pot. All of the water from the large pot was dumped onto the curtain. My brother ran out from under the curtain crying and my dad scolded him, even slapped him lightly. Then when my dad went back to make sure he was ok he saw my brother's neck and immediately went to get a doctor. He couldn't get a hold of one near our neighborhood so one of our neighbors, may Allah give him Jannat-ul Firdous ameen, came to drive my dad and my brother to the hospital. He had 3rd degree burns on part of his torso including part of the back of his neck and 2 degree burn on his back. Alhumdulillah they didn't cause any long lasting complications except for some very noticeable scars on his neck. You know what really got me, even though his torso was covered with bandages he still had a smile on his chubby face. Alhumdulillah Alhumdulillah Alhumdulillah, shukur hazar bar, for everything Allah has blessed us with and for protecting us from even worse situations.

Assalamu Alaikum
Nafs
« Reply #12 on: Aug 16, 2010 12:38 AM »

Walaikum Asalaam Ubab,

Alhamdulillah you are okay, and that your nephew wasn't harmed shukar.

How are you doing now?

I hope I don't get nervous with a tea tray, but I am sure I'll be more cautious as Fozia sis said.

Ilyas, Alhamdulillah ... I could just imagine a cute little boy smiling =)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: