Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: “Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right” Abraham Lincoln quote
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World's Largest Clock to Begin Ticking in Saudi Arabia  (Read 718 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Aug 10, 2010 09:27 PM »

Sounds very cool, but I kinda hate clocks/watches. I like the timelessness of Makkah and losing myself there and not knowing the time!!! -- J.

===============================

Saudi to test giant clock in Mecca during Ramadan

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia — Saudi Arabia will test what it is billing as the world's largest clock in the holy city of Mecca during the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan, the official news agency reported Tuesday.

The four-faced clock tower will top a massive skyscraper that when completed will be around 1,970 feet (600 meters) tall, the second tallest in the world after Dubai's Burj Khalifa.

The clock will dwarf London's Big Ben, once the largest four-faced clock in the world, with dials more than five times greater in area.

The around 130 foot (40 meter) diameter Saudi clock dials are also bigger than the current world champion at the Cevahir Mall clock in Istanbul, which has a 36 meter face set in the transparent roof of the shopping complex.

The complex overlooks Mecca's famed Grand Mosque, which Muslims worldwide face during their five daily prayers and is part of Saudi efforts to develop the city visited by millions of pilgrims every year.

A three-month test run for the clock will start during the first week of Ramadan — the monthlong period of prayer, reflection and sunrise-to-sunset fasting, the report said. This year, Ramadan will begin Wednesday.

Only one of the clock's four faces has so far been completed and is covered with 98 million pieces of glass mosaics.

Each face will be inscribed with "God is greatest" in Arabic and fitted with thousands of colored lights. The clock will be visible from more than 16 miles (25 kilometers).

An observatory deck is planned at the base of the clock.

A huge golden crescent moon, 75 feet (23 meters) in diameter, will eventually rise above the clock on a 200 foot (61 meter) spire, from which some 15 beams will shoot up into the sky, the agency added. The entire clock, from the base up to the crescent, itself will be 820 feet (251 meters) high.

German and Swiss engineers designed the clock and according to the Ministry of Religious Endowments, the entire project will cost $800 million.

The seven tower complex is being built by developer Saudi Binladen Group, the press agency reported.
Ilyas
Bro

Reputation Power: 2
Ilyas has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2010 10:17 PM »

Asalam Alaikum,

I'm sorry but I find these kinds of spending very very inappropriate. Instead of spending $800 million dollars they should do something about the cost of going to Hajj. For you and I the $7000+ price tag(what I've heard) might not be that big of a deal but there are plenty of other folks out there who don't have that kind of money. What about the people dying of starvation, of diseases easily treatable, or because they don't have warm clothes for this upcoming winter. There are so many different ways they could have spent that money. This just increases my dislike of Saudi Arabia and UAE, sorry I do not mean to offend anyone.

Assalamu Alaikum
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2010 10:40 PM »

wsalam,

You're so right bro... What exactly is the point of the fancy clock?? Reminds me of Mosques that build fancy fountains outside. While they're pretty and everything, what about funding youth programs inside or something?? Right now there are Muslims all over the world in misery, this is almost a BILLION dollars. It's totally against the spirit of Makkah Sad
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2010 12:59 AM »

Asalam Alaikum,

This just increases my dislike of Saudi Arabia and UAE, sorry I do not mean to offend anyone.

I have to agree with you on that one Br. Ilyas.

wsalam,

. While they're pretty and everything, what about funding youth programs inside or something?? Right now there are Muslims all over the world in misery, this is almost a billion dollars. It's totally against the spirit of Makkah Sad

So true Sis J - it's as if that this clock is a requirement or some upgrade to the Haram that is needed to make things easier for pilgrims (as the other upgrades to the Jamrat, etc).

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: