// Obama backs Muslims' right to build mosque near ground zero
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Beware! Don’t allow yourself to do what you know is wrong, relying on the thought, ‘Later I will repent and ask God’s forgiveness.'" - Rumi
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obama backs Muslims' right to build mosque near ground zero  (Read 6364 times)
Sarah Amena
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Sarah Amena has no influence :(

« Reply #50 on: Sep 09, 2010 04:55 PM »

What is a non practicing Hindu? I don't like that description of Ramesh Thakur or maybe I just don't understand it?Huh???
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #51 on: Sep 09, 2010 06:01 PM »

salam

I assume he doesn't observe the religious laws eg diet and prayers and dress.

I assume they felt it necessary to add that bit incase people thought he was a 'mozlem' or something.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
BigZ
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
BigZ has no influence :(

« Reply #52 on: Sep 09, 2010 09:40 PM »

Imam Feisal's op-ed in nytimes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/opinion/08mosque.html

Honestly, i don't agree with him. This isn't worth the trouble.
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #53 on: Sep 10, 2010 12:30 AM »

The controversy calls for leadership from the White House that has been sadly missing. Having issued what appeared to be a firm defence of the right of American Muslims to practise their faith and build houses of worship on private property in lower Manhattan according to the laws of the land and bylaws of the city, just like any other religious group in the country, President Barack Obama backtracked the very next day in what has become a distressingly familiar fence-sitting trait.

Did anybody note the above paragraph? Why say one thing today on a subject and then negate it the next day?

What is a non practicing Hindu? I don't like that description of Ramesh Thakur or maybe I just don't understand it?Huh???

Nowadays, we have non-practicing Muslims, non-practicing Christians. It is the first time I read of non-practicing Hindu, though.

Imam Feisal's op-ed in nytimes:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/opinion/08mosque.html

Honestly, i don't agree with him. This isn't worth the trouble.

I agree with him. It is worth the trouble.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Ilyas
Bro

Reputation Power: 2
Ilyas has no influence :(

« Reply #54 on: Sep 10, 2010 01:36 AM »

Asalam Alaikum.

"I was not commenting and I will not comment on the wisdom of making a decision to put a mosque there. I was commenting very specifically on the right that people have that dates back to our founding." -Obama the day after he made the original statement.

He did not backtrack his comment, he still stands firm on the fact that anyone and everyone has the right to practice their religion and build any place of worship within the means of the law. These articles people are reading about Obama backtracking or completely supporting the building of the Mosque are the ones that want to discredit him and bring his popularity down for the upcoming election. This is a political battle and a very insensible one if I may add. With the Quran burning controversy, which is now canceled, to the "Ground Zero Mosque" they're all stories picked up by the media and used by political parties to win future votes. This is my 2 cents on this whole mess.

Assalamu Alaikum
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #55 on: Sep 11, 2010 11:12 AM »

Clip from Al Jazeera - Features the brother who is a firefighter who is featured in the CAIR ads that were recently released.

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #56 on: Sep 11, 2010 11:55 AM »

I'll be in NYC today for the counter rally to support the mosque. I'll take some pictures and write more about it later! Salams everyone.
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #57 on: Sep 11, 2010 02:35 PM »

Cool Jannah, looking forward to seeing the pictures. Stay safe.

BABA
 desibro

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #58 on: Sep 19, 2010 01:22 PM »

Just to back up my point in a comment earlier in the thread about Christians not being able to build churches in Muslim-majority countries, here is what I mean, as seen in Indonesia - this is what frustrates me. I don't see anything wrong in the Muslims of the area, allowing their Christian neighbors have a place to worship, as long as they are not forcing anything upon the Muslims (conversion, disturbing their way of life, etc), there should not be any problem. Again, our Prophet (SAW) let the Jews of Madinah to live as they did, and only when they were actively plotting against him, despite their agreements, did he expel them. I don't know if anyone will agree with me or if I am in the wrong in terms of the actual practice according to our laws concerning this issue, but as far as I can tell, it wouldn't be doing anything un-Islamic to let them build a church on their own land. The anger that the brothers are showing in this video really frustrates me - would the Prophet have ever acted like that? Not that I am a good example myself or anything, but I think we should at least try to approach it with some calm and sense.

Here is what is happening in Indonesia this week:

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #59 on: Sep 19, 2010 01:49 PM »

salam

I always find it rather ridiculous when people anounce, "well we wont allow you to build a mosque in England/US, because you mozlems wont let us buld churches in Saudi"....Hi yeah love, I'm English, I pay english taxes, I live and contribute to England, I have about as much clout over Arabian domestic policy as you do.

As a tax payer and subject of a country I expect to be treated the same as my non muslim neighbour.

MY religion has no bearing whatsoever in the price of fish in Australia, so why some far flung countries politics should affect my status in my home country when it effects nobody else is well frankly stooopid!

BTW, having watched the plight of the Paletinians over the years I can understand why muslim countries resist non muslims from putting down roots in their country, and actually hardline Christian proselytising is not unkown, they try and trick the less educated and vulnerable into becoming apostate... we behave ethically doesn't mean everyone else does.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #60 on: Mar 31, 2011 07:29 AM »

A strange turn of events...

Planners of Mosque Considering New Project

NYT

Two co-founders of the plan to build a Muslim community center and mosque in downtown Manhattan have begun exploring a new, and possibly competing, project: an interfaith cultural center that they said might be located at the currently proposed site, two blocks from ground zero, or elsewhere in the neighborhood.

Daisy Khan, the executive director of the American Society for Muslim Advancement, said on Tuesday that she and her husband, Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, two co-founders whose involvement in the controversial community center plan was curtailed this year after a falling out with their real estate partner, might develop a new project that was “larger in concept” than what is now proposed at 51 Park Place.

The new project would be interfaith in character, rather than predominantly Islamic, she said, and it would include a center for inter-religious conflict resolution.

Ms. Khan’s comments, made at a luncheon held by the women’s magazine More and attended by reporters, were the first in which the couple indicated a willingness to put their names behind a different religious mission in the city.

“Once we are ready to announce our new vision, we will talk to the property owner and see if it is the right location for us,” she said, referring to Sharif el-Gamal, the real estate developer and onetime protégé of Mr. Abul Rauf’s. Mr. Gamal announced in January that Ms. Khan and the imam, who first conceived the idea of a downtown Muslim community center, would no longer speak or raise money for the planned project, known as Park51, though the imam would remain on its board of directors.

“We had the vision. We still have the dream,” Ms. Khan said. “The location is not the dream, my friend.”

A spokesman for Mr. Gamal said the developer had no comment.

Whether either alternative comes to fruition will depend on the ability of each camp to raise the estimated $100 million in public and private funds needed. Since plans for Park51 were announced last summer, and drew angry protests from some politicians and families of 9/11 victims who considered it insensitive to build a Muslim center so close to ground zero, no management staff has been hired, no members have been named to the project’s board and no money has been raised.

Park51 was registered as a charitable organization with the state attorney general’s office. But its application to the Internal Revenue Service for designation as a tax-exempt organization — crucial to its ability to solicit tax-deductible donations — has been under review for six months without a decision.

The rift between the two factions is partly personal, and partly based on differences of vision, spokesmen for the two sides have said. Mr. Abdul-Rauf and Ms. Khan initially conceived the project, which they referred to as Cordoba House, as a community center for the neighborhood grafted to a kind of world headquarters for interfaith dialogue — a place where tourists from around the globe might come to learn about other people’s religions.

Mr. Gamal, a businessman, had always favored a more down-to-earth approach, focused on providing much-needed downtown facilities like an indoor swimming pool, and prayer space for the large population of Muslims who work in the financial district.

On Tuesday, Ms. Khan said that since last summer, she and her husband had been meeting privately with family members of 9/11 victims and first responders in an effort to understand the source of some of the opposition to the original idea. She said that as a result of those meetings, the story of the 9/11 families “will be housed in our center.”
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: