Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some lovely 'Ramadan Reminders' IV - 2010/1431  (Read 3879 times)
nameeman
Bro

Reps: 11

« on: Aug 12, 2010 02:28 AM »

assalamu 'alaykum wa rahmaahtullahi,

Looking forward to this years  lovely "Ramadan Reminders" series.

Will it be continued in this thread or a new one?

RRI (2006):
http://jannah.org/ramadan/lovelyramadanreminders.html

RRII (2007):
http://www.jannah.org/madina/archives/year2006and2007/index.php?topic=2722.0

May Allah make this month a month of permanent nearness without end.
Let us remember each other in our du'aa.

was'salam

jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2777

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2010 06:48 AM »

Wsalam,

I'll try to type a few notes for the days I go. It might be every other day as its really far from my house (30 mins each way) (there's another mosque like 5 mins from me! but don't do reminders Sad) and my car has some issues (122,000 miles) also it's also really late!! Got home at 12:30am today. InshaAllah khair.

Here is the first one from a few notes I wrote...

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2010 07:44 AM »

Ramadan 2010 Day 1 Ramadan Reminder:

(not exact words of the shaykh)

Alhamdulillah we have reached the Month of Peace, the Month of Faith. May Allah give us more desire and love for Him and love for following the Sunnah of our beloved Rasulullah saw. Allah begins with " This is the Book; in it is guidance sure, without doubt, to those who fear God" 002.002 dhalikal kitaba la raiba fih...'That book, there is no doubt in it', or 'There is no doubt, that book is for those with Taqwa'. Those with Taqwa are the one's who seek Allah with true reverence. Since we are here away from our original homes in Jannah, Allah has shown us how to go back. The path how to go back is "His Guidance". These are his directions. If you don't take these directions seriously you can get lost even if you have them.

"Who believe in the Unseen" 002.003
The first characteristic of these Mu'minoon are that they have faith in the Unseen. They believe in the Akhirah, the life after death, the Barzakh, the Day of Resurrection, Qada wal Qadr, etc. If we don't have belief in the Ghayb how can we have belief in Allah? This faith is how we should begin our pursuit of Allah.

"Nay, seek (God's) help with patient perseverance and prayer: It is indeed hard, except to those who bring a lowly spirit,-Who bear in mind the certainty that they are to meet their Lord, and that they are to return to Him." 002.045-46 Allah reminded Bani Israel to uphold the covenant and a few ayahs later to seek help and support with Sabr and Salah. Sometimes when Sawm is mentioned, it means Sabr and vice versa. Help yourself with Sawm and Salah, it says, and this is the month of Sawm and Salah. This is something big and overwhelming except for those who have Khushoo'. They are those whose hearts are reverent to Allah and filled with awe. They know they will come back to Allah and return to Him. They live daily in conscious of that. They love Salah and Sabr.

Allah is telling us to be of those, in the quest of Allah. May Allah help us be among them. ameen

nameeman
Bro

Reps: 11

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2010 05:43 AM »

jazakillahu khayraa for attending the farther masjid -

may the reward for your struggles be with Him, azza wa jall.

We look forward to any and all notes you can gather from the Imam's ramadan reminders/khatirahs, inshaAllah.

---
"O you who believe! answer (the call of) Allah and His Messenger when he calls you to that which gives you life;
and know that Allah intervenes between man and his heart, and that to Him you shall be gathered."
- Surah al-Anfal : 24

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Aug 17, 2010 09:14 PM »

Ramadan 2010 Day 3 Ramadan Reminder:

salaam

May Allah bless all of you during these nights in which you prefer to be here in the Masjid than elsewhere and stay this late. But keep in mind that as the years progress, in 2-3 years, Isha, Taraweeh will be later than this, but it is not that bad already. By the time Ramadan finishes this year Isha will start at 9 o clock. It’s not that bad. Sometimes you’ll finish Taraweeh at 1 o clock in the morning and Fajr is at 3 30! I remember I lived that even in this country 33-36 years ago when I first came, when Ramadan was like that. Subhanallah. What a joy, what a beautiful thing, isn’t it.

We finished Surah Baqara alhamdulillah, we started Surah Ali Imran. Surah Baqara is so rich and powerful and there is great virtue in memorizing it. It is the longest Surah - 5 ahzab. There are plenty of laws; spiritual, moral, behavioral, individual and collective, religious and mundane, business and trade in which Allah teaches us. Within the Tawheed, Akhlaq and spirituality he teaches us the laws of behavior in different levels.

It’s beautiful to know Surah Baqara ends with a Dua, it’s like help us ya Allah to live by these laws, by Surah Baqara. Rasulullah saw and the believers believe in what was revealed to the believers… amana billah wa rasulullahi… wa qala samana wa aatana. “We heard and we obey” Not “why is this why is that”, “if”, “however”, “the meaning”, “the objective”, “the illa”, “the cause”. They say samana and ataana. We hear and we obey.

La yakallufallahu nafsa...Rabbana la tu akhidhana... In all of this please ya Allah (this is a special gift of this Ummah) do not hold us for account, if we forget or do things by mistake Allah. If we disobey Him deliberately or not He could punish us, but Allah revealed this Ayah it is said beneath the Arsh as a gift to mankind, to the Muslims. So we implore Allah to help us fulfill these commandments and if we forget or make mistakes do not hold us to account. And do not hold us to bear responsibilities as hard as those you made others to bear. Please do not also hold us responsible to what we cannot bear. These beautiful laws of this Deen, of concessions, Masalih, the beautiful axioms in response to this prayer show Allah accepted this prayer. Surah baqara contains this and all of it is about that. This gift through this Dua at the end.

These laws of different aspects of salah, zakat, sawm, hajj, umrah, trade, business, selling, borrowing, crediting, I shall mention a few of them. Allah tells us about spending money of what we own. And there are many ppl who spend for different reasons. Those who spend for the sake of the countenance of Allah az only. And they do not do things or say things after that will nullify and render useless that good action. They only spend fi sabilillah and sometimes ppl don’t even know they spend fi sabillillah. And they don’t even entertain anything or feelings that will render that action null and avoid. Such as to say ‘I have spent’ or to hurt others with words, physically or with injustice. Those will nullify Sadaqah. They might give Sadaqah on one side yet do things like that.

There are those who spend as riya , for Muslims and projects to be seen, to be famous, to be recognized. They put conditions etc on that, Riya by ostentation. There are also those who spend in order to discipline their own Nafs. Min anfusahim. Allah at the end tells us those who spend in Ribawiy ways trade and own in usurious ways. Those, Allah says are in contradiction to those who spend fi sabilillah. There are those who spend and lend with Riba. The person who transacts in Riba is the selfish one. The one who gives for the sake of Allah is selfless.. Allah says their lives are like the lives possessed by devils.

They argue “Whats the difference with buying and selling more and lending someone with more?” Allah even records their arguments. Allah made sale Halal and Riba are Haram. Forget about why and all the arguments that testify to the harm of Riba. It is Haram because Allah said it is Haram and trade is Halal because God says its Halal. Allah continues to speak a lot about this. About how horrible it is. To the extent that those who do not desist from riba, those have like declared war with God and His messenger says Allah. Then Allah tells us about borrowing and lending and how it should be recorded, if you’re traveling etc and at the end, Allah reminds us He owns and knows everything on the heavens and earth and then the beautiful Dua mentioned.

May Allah help us live with the commandments of Allah in all aspects of our lives. But we should be resolute in wanting to obey Allah and pray Allah to help us. Some indication is that when we are reminded we are doing something wrong at any level, mundane or at the Mosque, if we are told in the right way, what should our response be. “Jazakallah khairan” Versus those who respond in other ways… those who are told to fear Allah, inside feel offended. Some of us repent and come back but some of us continue with that attitude, until the person who gave the Naseeha comes and says ‘please forgive me’! Subhanallah!

Some say this is a Hadith: “There is no virtue in ppl who do not admonish one another and there is no virtue in the ppl who do not accept the advice.”

May Allah make us of those who follow the words of advice and follow the best of them. Ws.

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Aug 17, 2010 09:37 PM »

Ramadan 2010 Day 6 Ramadan Reminder:

salaam

Just a little reminder from the pearls of the Quran. From Surah Nisa: Under all circumstances, in prosperity or adversity, be of those who uphold and establish justice and are therefore witnesses for Allah az.  Even if this be against your own selves, or parents, kids, or relatives. Be just and be fair. I pray that Allah help me and you to internalize this. Because we don’t, we are not fair and just under normal circumstances oftentimes! let alone being fair and just in adversity against our own selves, parents or relatives. And that’s a command from Allah. Whether they are poor or rich. Allah says in Surah Ma’ida: O you who have attained faith, be witnesses to what Allah commands and love, be witnesses for justice and let not the injustices or hatred towards others to you cause you to do injustice to them. Under all circumstances.

I pray we learn to practice that at home with our family members, neighbors, beloved friends, with our foes and enemies and those that hate us. Because this is mandatory, it is to be a Mumin, Muslim, a Mut’aqi to be that way in all circumstances. Allah will hold us to account to what we harbor inside.

One story in Surah Ma’idah is about a plague in the heart (like envy - violent desire for what others have). It can be even in religious matters and spiritual matters, not just Dunya. The story of the two children of Adam is a story of Hasad. Both of them offered a Sadaqah to Allah. To compete for the love of Allah so to speak. From one of them Allah accepted that offering, and He did not accept from the other. The two brothers both did a religious act. One was accepted the other was not. Something was generated in the heart of the one not accepted. “How come? You’re better than me? How come it was accepted from you and not from me? I will kill you!” The response of this person already tells what’s in his heart, and why Allah did not accept from him. He said “I will kill you” because inside of him was hatred, injustice, arrogance, delusion. This violent envy causes hatred in the heart. The other brother said “Why do you want to kill me? Allah accepts from those who have Taqwa”.

Is my salah accepted? We must ask the question. Some of us here maybe our Salah is accepted and some not. Why. Because Allah accepts from those have Taqwa, consciousness, purity inside. Therefore the brother told him, “If you extend your hand to kill me, I will not extend my hand because I fear Allah.”

So is the story of Taqwa and Quloob, the story that Allah tells us about the origin of the human species and some of the ailments and challenges that come with being a human being. May Allah help us be of those who listen to the best of admonition and make us live the best of them. May He not cause us to die until He cleanses our Quloob and we meet him with pure hearts. Allahumma salli… ws…

skhansj
Bro

Reps: 14

« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2010 12:36 AM »

When I read a series of beautiful reflections like this, I feel so fortunate to be a Muslim. Alhamdulillah.

Sister Jannah. Thank you for sharing these with us; for taking the effort to learn them, and distill them, and write them up. You spend an hour, and give us the cream for us to absorb in 30 second. May your generosity be well rewarded.

The story of habil and qabil is one that most of us find difficult to relate to today. However, we fight over trivial, fleeting matters. People insult, hurt and even kill for the silliest of reasons.

May we all have the purity of the qulub, and be surrounded by the nur of Allah. May our sacrifices, prayers and acts of charity and our witnessing to the verity of the tauheed be accepted (amen).

Sarah Amena
Sis

Reps: 16

« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2010 05:01 AM »

Wow Sister Jannah thanks for posting these, the one about riba really hit close to home  Sad Waging a war against Allah almighty? If I only knew then what I know now   Sad

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2010 11:00 AM »

Ramadan 2010 Day 10 Ramadan Reminder:

salaam

We finished Surah Tawbah and Yunus. A few reminders for you and me... All of the Quran is full of mercy and bounty. May Allah bring us understanding of His words and help us to actualize His commandments. In Surah Yunus, Allah reminds us of something very special and personal: 'We are witnessing whatever form of concern you are in or busy with, whatever you recite of the Quran, whatever you do, any deed or any act.' As you indulge in it, as you are there, We see it. Not even a weight of an atom escapes the knowledge of your Lord. All is in a clear record. Things that seem changing to us or new, they have already been in the knowledge of Allah. Even atoms or smaller, galaxies or beyond.

Then after that He gives us this Bushra: 'Truly the awliya shall not fear nor grieve'. The more a person becomes a waliy, the more there is less to fear or grieve about. There are oceans of serenity, serenity and peace. Ya Allah make us of them, to live our lives as though we see Him.

At the end of Surah Yunus Allah tells us the fate of Firawn. He lived as a corrupt excessive ruler, arrogant and deluded. He went to the extent of saying to them "I am your exalted Lord". Allah heard Musa and Haroon and the believers duas. Allah drowns them all. They are taken into the depths of the ocean. Commentators say none resurfaces except Firawn. They were swallowed into the depths of the sea.

When he was drowning, Firawn said 'I have believed in no deity except the deity of the children of Israel'. Allah tells us - Now? And before that you sinned and were corrupt? Today We shall save you with your body so you will be a sign. So at the time people could see he was drowned and also people would see the punishment of Allah and see the truth. Also in accordance to experts of mummification and scientists of Egyptology, one of the mummies is one that drowned and that body is saved. 'We shall save.' For those who have Iman it is a sign. To others it is one of the treasures of Egypt and is shown to tourists.

May Allah make us not of those who only when we are drowning in problems etc turn to Him. Let us be thankful in prosperity and difficulty and adversity and ease. In the beginning of the surah Allah says 'Don't be like Firawn'. When some human being is touched by hardship they turn to Allah with dua, dua, dua, but after Allah relieves them, they pass their lives like they never made supplication. SubhanAllah. Insaan are treacherous. We forget very quickly what Allah has done for us. May Allah make us of those who love to meet him.
Ws...

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2010 11:24 AM »

Ramadan 2010 Day 15 Ramadan Reminder:

salaam

We finished Surah Isra and Kahf among others... In the beginning of Surah Nahl, Allah says 'The decree of Allah has come, do not be hasty'. Allah uses the past tense for a future event - the last days of creation. This is very powerful. For it has already happened. There is no notion of past or future. For Allah it wasn't a point of time because He is the Creator of time.

Some argue 'When will it come? Where is it?' Allah says It has already come don't be hasty. Now we know in modern science, time is relative. A minute could mean a million years. We are subject to time, to decay. This should stop us from being arrogant and accusing. When Allah resurrects the dead believers they will think a day or part of a day has passed even if it was a thousand years.

Another spiritual meaning that can be sought is whatever Allah has decreed, it has happened. If I am waiting for wealth or knowledge of taqwa or spiritual experience with Allah, as long as I keep seeking and don't accuse, don't worry. For those, Allah illuminates their hearts. They see akhirah as already here. SubhanAllah. In their internal realization they are nearer than traveling to it. They see dunya with mental extinction already. They don't have to leave dunya, they have already left it. They see it as effervescent, perishing. They simply await for the Qadr of Allah and receive it with Rida' and Sabr. This is the proper adab - spiritual etiquette with Allah.

If something is challenging jalaly, physically, emotionally, they accept it with humility and lower their heads to Allah. If something jamaly, of health, wealth, spiritual knowledge is given to them there is only gratefulness, thankfulness.

May Allah help us be of those who live in the akhirah already. May we have proper adab at every instance, for there is no instance of our lives except that Allah is majestically (jalaly)or beautifully (jamaly) expressing Himself to us.

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: Aug 28, 2010 11:43 AM »

Ramadan 2010 Day 17 Ramadan Reminder:

salaam

SubhanAllah 2 weeks have passed of this blessed month. May Allah forgive us and fill our hearts with devotion and make our hearts stronger. We draw nearer to him by using His own words and are rewarded when we do that... We recited Ta Ha last night and throughout the Quran, Allah keeps reminding us of our spiritual lineage to Ibrahim as and all the prophets.

When Musa saw the fire up in the mountain, he addressed his family and said 'aanastu naara'. He didn't say 'ra'aytu naara'. He says 'sought solace in'. There are subtleties of language here. Sometimes Allah instills in a devout seekers heart something. Musa sees fire lit in his heart and knows his family is not with him yet. He says I am going somewhere.... there is solace inside of me and I see that fire. Let me go to Allah. Let me change my style of life (some families don't understand that). Either I come back with light or I find guidance.

When he arrived there, he was addressed by Allah. 'I am your Lord, remove your shoes. You are in the sacred valley of Tuwa'. That's why we remove our shoes because we come to stand before Allah - meaning everything dunya and beyond, except Allah. Once you're with Allah nothing else counts. Everything is gone, no dunya. I want to be in jannah, mostly to be with Allah. Shoes are to walk and protect, let Allah protect you. Remove the asbaab (means), remove the reliance and attachment on anything (shoes) except Allah.

Musa as was carrying a staff (a sunnah). Doesn't Allah know? but Allah says 'What is that in your right hand O Moses?' There is something to learn here, it is subtle. 'It is my staff, I lean on it. And I use it to orient my flock and in it I have many other uses...' Doesn't Allah know? Why does Allah tell us this? 'Alqeeha ya Musa'. 'Throw it' Throw your reliance on all of that. (Yet we have so much attachment.) What you and I rely on, throw it, throw all of it. 'Fa-alqaha' Musa does it spontaneously and immediately. It becomes a living serpent. Allah put much more power into it than before. Pick it up now. Come back to the means after being free from it in your heart and more from Allah. Musa was not expecting that, he was only obeying Allah and Allah gave what He gave...

For Musa the sea was made to part, to open the way. Allah shows him another sign and another sign, because Musa will face an immense power with resources. 'Go to Firawn. He is a tyrant' It is like saying 'Go to the mouth of the lion!' Musa says "Rabbi shahri sadri....Expand for me my chest and ease....' 'You are given what you asked.' (Allah gives until the mountains bow down.)

Allah told the mother of Musa 'If you fear for him, throw him in the sea!' This is solace to the mother!? The story of Musa is all about 'la asbab' Teaching us that nothing happens without His knowledge. What we do to escape Qadr is Qadr. Firawn did everything to destroy everyone and then brought the one who was to destroy him and raised him in his own household! This teaches us to learn to rely on Allah. Struggle to learn to put the means aside and never rely on them. This should reflect in our actions towards our family, neighbors and society. The tongue can say something but it is about what is in the hearts....

Ws.

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #11 on: Sep 03, 2010 06:09 AM »

Ramadan 2010 Day 23 Ramadan Reminder:

salaam

O Allah accept our fasts, our worship and prayers. O Allah make us of your righteous servants… Alhamdulillah, Allah t’ala allowed us to be in the Masjid to make this Qiyam. Allah has blessed all us brothers and sisters who come to jama’h, even though it is late and the nights are relatively short. May Allah bless you and make us realize the value of what we’re doing. May Allah grant you and all of us the joy of ibadah. Ameen.

Sometimes by seeing what others don’t have, you realize what you have. Sometimes you might be in a state in Salah that’s pleasurable, until Allah takes it away from you, and you WISH you had been thankful for it. Sometimes you look at what others don’t have, then you realize. (If there is no object to reflect light you don’t know there is light.) So look at the moments when you don’t have, and look at those who don’t have. Then you know how much you have of Grace and bounty from Allah.

We have completed until Surah Zumar. A few reflections… In Surah Sa’ad, when He talks about Sayyidna Dawud He describes him as ‘mention our servant Dawud, one with a lot of power’. But look what He says after that: ‘Verily he is awwab, one always in dhikr and always in awareness of Allah, in humbleness, returning to Allah (az). Allah describes Ibrahim, Ishaq, and Yaqub as those with power AND wisdom. They were not only powerful, but wise. They looked far ahead and were far-sighted. Far-sightedness is about Akhirah and their devotion.

In Surah Saffat Allah mentions Sayyidna Yunus ‘the whale swallowed him and were it not that he used to be of those in tasbeeh, in dhikr constantly, he would have remained in the belly until the day of resurrection!’ SubhanAllah! Look what the dhikr of Allah does. Dhikr of Allah constantly indicates a very powerful means of drawing power, love, help, forgiveness and pardon from Allah az. A means from which to help change our condition and move from darkness to light. From the darkness of the whale of the belly to the light outside. When we are in the midst of the darkness of hardships and challenges and we don’t see clear and we say explicitly in our language ‘I am in the dark’, we should continue our dhikr of Allah.

Dhikr of Allah instead of watching television, instead of wasting time, instead of ‘killing time’. Be in dhikr of Allah whatever time you have. Be in istighfar, ask Allah for forgiveness before we fall into conditions of the dark. If we were in dhikr before, Allah will help us transition from darkness to light easier and quicker. For those who don’t have that presence with Allah, when darkness befalls them it becomes very difficult, painful, they are agitated, they solve their problems in the wrong ways. But those who are aware of Allah before, during that time, Allah helps them come through it in the right way and it’s easier for them.

Those who have problems also feel pain and have problems like you, but if you have hope in Allah and if you have remembrance of Allah before and during, it makes the moments of darkness easier.

Allah mentions the story of Ibrahim in Surah Saffat, what he went through, the difficulties and challenges to his iman and tawakkul that increased his iman and tawakkul. The person who is a mumin, who under trials strives to be patient and have tawakkul, comes out of that experience stronger in faith, spirituality and commitment to Allah. stronger in his/her perception of life. Sayyidna Ibrahim says ‘I am leaving you. I am going to my Lord’ what does this mean? Is he walking to Allah some place? No… I am in hijrah to Allah with my qalb, like when Musa sees the light I’m going to that light. I’m going to my Lord, to change my life, orientation, direction and the momentum towards that aim. SubhanAllah. This is what he said and hoped for. This is what he dedicated himself to. This is what he very firmly decided to do. Look what’s next. Because some of us think if I come to Allah then I should have dunya, lot of ease in everything. Look what Allah says…

Then Ibrahim as implores Allah, makes a dua, ‘o dear Lord grant me a child that is of the righteous’. He asked for not just any child, a right child of the righteous ones. This is what he said. And Allah answers his dua. ‘and we gave him the glad tidings of a young boy who is forebearing’. Forbearance comes from challenges, even after being treated unjustly.

That’s the only son and he reaches the age he can walk and work. ‘Offer your son in sacrifice’. The boy must have been very mature spiritually, that makes him so dear, qurutul ayn. And you can see why Ibrahim loved him. When he tells him about his visions about offering him in sacrifice, this young son little boy who is a waliyy answers ‘O dear father do as thou art ordered, you will find me inshaAllah one who is perseverant and patient’. Allahu akbar this is…what a wonderful answer. Together they surrendered themselves to Allah.

This is yaqeen, super yaqeen in Allah az. And you know the rest of the story. When they both surrendered, I don’t want to be lengthy but this is a beautiful story. When they both surrendered, he’s sacrificed his son already in his heart. The slaughtering of the nafs is done. The nafs is dead. The iradah (will volition) of Ibrahim for anything legitimate is gone. What remains only is Allah, and then Allah gave him what he didn’t give anyone else before him. Al khullah that’s why he became the khaleel the one who Allah loves the most. Allah gave him. SubhanAllah.

Some ulema have said Allah ordered Ibrahim to sacrifice because sayyidna Ibrahim developed a legitimate loving attachment to his son which for the condition and status of Ibrahim, Allah wanted to give him more. There was a place in his qalb with other than Allah so Allah wanted to remove even that. So that Allah gave him, Him. Only Allah remains. Allah gave Ibrahim Himself, and He gave him his son back. Al kareem, Allah swt.

My dear sisters and brothers Allah does not take from me and you because He needs it. Allah takes only to give me and you. He does not take because He wants it, He takes to give you. If you only knew, if you only are patient, if only you were far-sighted, not just of those with power. But… as you know Allah does not subject anyone through any trial which he/she cannot bear. That He did to Ibrahim. What He does to you and me is much much much much much much … less. Because we are much much much much… less in our iman and yaqeen, in our attachment and our certitude in akhirah. Rasulullah saw says Allah tries His Abd, man or woman, in accordance to the degree of faith they have. If their faith is stronger He will subject them to more trials. If their faith is less He will subject them to less. But He gives to whom?...

ws...

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #12 on: Sep 05, 2010 12:06 PM »

Ramadan 2010 Day 25 Ramadan Reminder:

[after completing hour long 2 rakats!!!]

salaam

Let us implore Allah to make us of those who are spiritually lofty and have Himma.

Ibn al-Qayyim… of some of his characteristics the Ulema talk about… is about his Amaal and the way he worshiped. One special thing about him… do you know what it is? He used to have very special Salah, very meticulous like the early Salaf. His Salah was very long. Many of his colleagues spoke about it and he wouldn’t change it. Tonight we are reading like Ibn al-Qayyim and our Quloob are feeling it. But remember sisters and brothers, we should do something like this and more some times, at least sometimes. Remember love of Rasulullah saw means we emulate him, many of us say we love him, but we deliberately don’t obey him, we even disobey him! We keep justifying, finding excuses for ourselves. Something that is not obligatory even, if we love him, we should do it… sometimes at least. Some things that are highly Musthabb like staying long in Salah... In one Rakah he recited what? Surah Al-Baqara, Nisa and Ali imran, just reading those for me like I read that would take me 2 hours. Just reading. He was saying that in Salah they said his Ruku was close to his Qiyam. That’s what we don’t do. His Sujood was also close to his Ruku and his Ruku was close to his Qiyam. Let’s say he stood up an hour, his Ruku was like 4o mins /50 mins in 1 rakat, Subhanallah don’t you wish, wouldn’t you like to emulate Rasulullah (s)? Sometimes I can’t wait, one day before I die, to finish the Quran in 1 rakat, because it’s related in many texts Uthman (ra) in 1 rakat, and others, in 1 rakat1! Reported by many Ulema. Don’t you wish to do it with the same love and momentum and Himma and ease they did. Subhanallah! Don’t u wish so. I wish that, and I continue wishing that and I hope you do too. Ya rabbi ameen.

Ibn al-Qayyim said:
Indulging freely your sight,
Will sculpt the image of the seen in your heart.
And the heart is a Kaba,
And the Worshiped One does not accept other idols.

See what it means? Your Qalb should have inside of it whom? Allah. Your Qalb should be all for Allah and when I look at something the image is sculpted, a sculpture of an idol is inside of my Qalb and that will squeeze the space that is intended for Allah. Allah be exalted from analogies. Allah does not like and is not pleased with other statues and idols inside of your heart with him. What did Rasulullah (s) do when he entered Makkah? Entered the Kabah and removed all the Asbaab. The Kaba of Allah should be for Allah alone. It’s meant for Allah (az). Not attached to other things. Using our gaze, our ears, our senses in ways that are unlawful or reprehensible will lead to taking a space in the Qalb.

Ibn al-Qayyim:
(SubhanAllah.)
Jannah (paradise) embellished herself for those who seek her in marriage. (metaphor)
So they strove arduously to find Mahr (dowry gift of marriage to give)

Allah beautified Jannah because ppl want to have Jannah, men and women both. And then he requested a Mahr for that. So they strove to attain that dowry and what is the Mahr of Jannah? Ta’at Allah, obeying Allah. And also give your Nafs. This leads to the easiest way of obeying Allah (az). Your Nafs is completely annihilated. That is the Mahr for Jannah. Innalllaha ishtara min al mumineena anfasuhum….you send your Nafs to Allah. Are we doing that? O Allah… I want to remind myself and then you my brothers and sisters how many commands of Allah do we know, that He and Rasulullah (s) commanded us and we don’t do that? Is that giving our Nafs or keeping our Nafs. SubhanAllah

Then he continued to say,
Then the Lord of Nobility made himself known to the loving ones
through the manifestation of His Names and Attributes.
Thus they strove for the Encounter.

They stand dedicated for that ultimate encounter with their Beloved. They spend their lives, what they do, don’t do, externally, internally, is all about that ultimate aim and goal.

And you however are concerned with a dead corpse.

Anyone who seeks other than this is like seeking a dead corpse. Those who are seeking Dunya for Dunya and love Dunya and are obsessed and compete and hate and love for Dunya. Dunya is that dead corpse. Abdul Qadir al-Jilani said once to his audience ‘the person who seeks Dunya is like someone who seeks a very beautiful woman far ahead and sees her face and she smiles at him and tells him to come and when he approaches, she runs. Like a man in a dream (or nightmare) he runs behind her and now he’s in a desert and she stops and he arrives and she turns around. He sees an ugly face and she smiles and then she slaughters him, cuts his throat in the middle of the desert and leaves him.' What is slaughtering, what does it mean? Dunya slaughters him and leaves him in the desert... So there are those who seek Dunya and there are others…

Ibn al Qayyim:
Hubb (better than “love” that doesn’t convey the word) (of Allah) is a stream of water
in the middle of the desert.
To which there is no trodden road,
that’s why there are those who seek it.

They are the strangers, the Ghuraba, because love has no way to it, meaning it has a lot of challenges, difficulties, a lot of things from you to give. You have to give everything to be a true Muhibb. That ppl usually do not do. Usually they do not give up themselves, their things, their desires. There is no sort of experience, that’s why there’s no way there. Rare are those that took that un-trodden road. Those of us who claim Muhabba for Allah with the first challenge… they say no no … and return.

I remember my father’s smiling face right now as he told me this story. Pls make dua for him. It was funny. Should I say it? He said to me about mahabbatal akhirah as a young man and he said ‘there was once a man with a family, wife and children and his young son was talking about jihad fi sabilillah and so they finally went and when there was a first skirmish the father said , “Son, your mother is enough for me!!”' [everyone lols]  

So the first challenge and he went back. It’s a claim you see, the first difficulty comes and you see what happens. May Allah give us the strength to trod the path to the stream of water in the middle of the desert even though no one walks it.  Even those of us that claim it may not reach it. The true Mahabba of Allah is that rare.

May Allah make us of them.

Ws…

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #13 on: Sep 07, 2010 06:08 AM »

Ramadan 2010 Day 27 Ramadan Reminder:

salaam

Allah says in the Quran: ‘Whatever happens of calamity that occurs (in any sense, emotionally, physically, family-wise) all of that has been in the record before We even created it.’ In other words before Allah created the earth, the Nafs, the events that occurred in time, all of that is in a record before it happens! Before Allah created the events to happen in time, they were already in His knowledge and transferred to His Creation and beyond.

Rasulullah (s) said the first thing that Allah created was al-Qalam, translated as 'a pen', but don’t imagine a pen like we use. This is beyond the description and in another sense. Allah (swt) commanded it to write and al-Qalam said, ‘What do I write?’ Allah said ‘Write that which will be until the day of Resurrection.’ La ilaha illaAllah. Many of us think of only physical things like angels, humans, stars, trees, etc. But what of the details of everything, thoughts, feelings, sounds, colors, relations and effects, the subtle, the hidden, the manifest and apparent, your thoughts in details. All is written. When and where and how ilal yawmal qiyamah (until the day of J.) Every second, nay ever nanosecond, every Heisenberg time, every beyond which we don’t know how to write it in equations! SubhanAllah! At every time, whatever happens of this creation is in this record. Take time to think about this. Even if you try to imagine this, even if you are intelligent, a scientist, a scholar, it will NUMB your mind, you cannot think it. ‘This for Allah is very easy’!!

If you know that and feel it, then how will this help you in your life? You would feel peaceful, kind, gentle, comfortable. Some of us are at 1 or 2 out of 10 in internalization of this. So, whatever happens to a person who has internalized this, easy or dangerous, prosperous or adverse, the more they are in that state, the more it's as if nothing happened, because "it’s already happened". May Allah make us of them.

Allah teaches us this, in order that we do not despair, feel agitated or feel like that about things that we missed. Things that are good that you wanted in this Dunya, once it has happened, it was already in the record. Also, know that which you have, you should not be overjoyed with either! SubhanAllah. What does this teach me and you? That we all are subject to tribulation in our lives. See how we change inside when things happen. Sometimes the least of things make us agitated and angry, because we have not internalized that. That’s lack of Iman, not necessarily no Iman, but lack of it. May Allah help me and you understand this, ponder and internalize this, and let it be fully satiated in our hearts.

Many Salihoon internalized this so profoundly. That’s what their attitude was. Can you imagine what peace they had? When they fall sick their medication was submitting to Allah (az). They take this Ayah literally and powerfully. And the Ulema have said if a person chooses not to take medication while sick, and has tawakkul ala Allah. Tawakul of this type, that’s jaiz'. That’s why Abu Bakr as-Siddique (ra) when he fell sick was asked ‘Should we call a doctor for you?’ You know what he said? He said the famous saying "The Doctor has already seen me (ra’ana tabeeb) and the doctor told me, ‘I do as I please’" That’s why he was a Siddique. Oh Allah give us the yaqeen of the siddiqeeen.

Allah, in another Surah describes some ppl who looked like they were united externally. But inside they were so divided, ugly, and foolish. Allah says, ‘When u look at them u think they are one and united, while their hearts are divided.’ We come to the Masjid together, we line up together, and we do Sujood together. When those who don’t know us look at us, what will they say? ‘What unity’, but our hearts?

May Allah return us to Him. Change us. Please change us, change us, change our hearts, our characteristics, our attitudes, our emotions, thoughts, drives, desires. Let that all be for You and by You. Let us be ya Rabb a real khalaf to our real salaf. When we look at ourselves, do we see the likes of Abu Bakr, Aisha, Hafsa, Fatima, Ali? (ra) Will they pleased with us? Let’s strive to change, to make myself change, even change by force. And that cannot happen unless I learn to look inside of me, and see what I am inside of me, and treat it before things happen to me and then my response is ugly. I should strive. I say this to me first. Please look inside of you. Be with those who help you to look inside of you. Make sure your everyday life is about changing your Qalb. Because it is the state of the Qalb with which you come to Allah, therefore in an either ugly or beautiful state, and therefore in jannah or naar. SubhanAllah.

Your external appearance,
you beautify with a garment of taqwa
But your internal reality is a stinking jar of wine.
Every time you put a smell on your clothes,
the stinking smell of the Intoxicant comes out.

To expose and underlie reality, the smell comes out and expose you to those that know you well, those that see deeper. We think that’s what Taqwa is, but then our actions come out. The salihoon smell that and they run away from you, but others like that smell and draw nearer to you.

My dear sisters and brothers, look what it says after that…. ‘Whatever Museebah comes to, you comes from Allah’. So it could be a punishment, keep that in mind. Number 2 a person who lives in Iman, sees with only the eyes of Noor.  Now when we have problems, Masa’ib, and things are dark, which eye needs to see? The baseerah (internal eye) and it needs light to see ‘iman’. If we don’t have that noor inside of us, we act in ways that are un-befitting, with kufr, injustice and arrogance, etc. How do we get that noor? Tawbah lillah, and learn to be aware of what’s inside of you. And live your lives so that in every step no feeling occurs until it’s a feeling allowed by Allah az. To help that, do khalwah, be alone, sawm, dhikr, salah, listen to ilm, be in the company of those in that same way. Be in the company of those that remind us and teach us, and ask them to show us our mistakes. Otherwise…. we are like everyone else.

My dear sisters and brothers, Allah in another ayah, describes ppl of different levels (ansar, muhajaroon and those that came after them) ‘Forgive us and our brothers who preceded us in Iman.’ Where do you belong? Are you in this category? Those who came after them and don’t pray for them, and instead curse them are not of the ppl Allah praises. Do you know someone who was a Mu’min before you? Why don’t you pray for him? Why don’t I behave with them in a gentle, forgiving, kind way? If something happens that’s not a Kaba’ir etc why don’t I be nice and kind and gentle with them. This is the characteristic of the Mumineen. Do not allow in our hearts, rancor for those who have belief. Isn’t it beautiful? Isn’t it simple? But how much do we internalize and apply? May Allah cleanse our hearts, and be of those who speak the words of truth and strive to actualize those words of truth.

My dear brothers and sisters, I do not absolve myself, please communicate this to those that are not here. We come to salah and ibadah to join our hearts to Allah, but how come then anything that happens to us with someone next to me in salah, and I still hold harsh feelings about him/her. And if they do something so minimal I react with hate or disrespect, or despise them. Salah, dhikr, allah, mahabbah that is not consistent with this. The mission of Rasulullah (s) was to complete beautiful Akhlaq. So we can be as beautiful as we can in our characteristics.

We can’t disconnect our actions from the spirit of the Deen. Almost everybody is deficient in this in some level. I pray and I hope, and pray for me, that the Masajid where we learn and perform salah, is done with the intent to change. ME. To begin with ME. Not to change others first. But to change ME. I should arrive to be a student of change and every day I should live to change. Every day I live to change and therefore I seek the means by which I change. Change to the beautiful or ugly with which I meet Allah. it is either jahannam forever or for a time or jannah forever.

May Allah make us of the people of jannah. Ameen. Let us be of those who listen to the best of admonition and follow them. Ya Allah help us.

ws.

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #14 on: Sep 09, 2010 07:52 AM »

Ramadan 2010 Day 29 Ramadan Reminder:

[after finishing the Quran and long and beautiful dua…]

salaam

The month is over… this was the last night… may Allah never deprive us. May Allah not have recorded us as the deprived ones during this month, during these nights, and during the last nights of Ramadan. May Allah have us in His Eternal Knowledge and Record as those who have learned and been given, and those who have been rewarded and accepted. May Allah (swt) grant us the Sakeenah (spiritual quiescence, quietude) after this month. May we continue with His Grace to have the Sakeenah of Ramadan, ya Allah ya Mawlai. May Allah not deprive us from more Ramadan and more Sakeenah. And may He not deprive us if we don’t live until next Ramadan from having Sakeenah in our graves and as we’re raised up.

As you know my dear brothers and sisters nothing lasts forever, no Haal, no condition, not even Ramadan. No joy endures, and no pain endures. This is for us to always learn to attach ourselves to the one who endures: Allah (swt). Allah Lasts and is the Ever-Lasting, the Enduring, the Eternal. Not even His angels endure. Nothing of His creation endures. It teaches us before we go to Him to attach ourselves to Him. For he is the only One who lasts

My dear sisters and brothers, from what we recited tonight, these are the last moments we spend together with the Quran in this way. (I hope we don’t forsake the Quran, learn not to forsake it, continue to embrace it, associate and walk with the Quran, and continue to read the Quran.) If we are not of those, we must learn to be like that. Allah swt says ‘Alhaaku mutakkathur….’.

102.001 The mutual rivalry for piling up (the good things of this world) diverts you (from the more serious things),

Piling up (of the belongings, attractions of this world, material, intellectual, anything of this world) has distracted you and kept you away from something much more important – a trial, a test. It has distracted you from obeying Allah az, from remembering Allah az, from resolutely traveling to Allah. It has distracted you from being with your heart with Allah az. From being just and fair, from being in dhikr, from Allah az.

‘Iqtaraba naasa hisaabuhum. Wa hum fee ghafilun…’

102.002 Until ye visit the graves.

Those of us who are distracted and busy with other things of this Dunya have forgetten the words of Allah az. They’ve forgetten the meanings of Allah az. They have listened to the words in jest and distraction, not in focus and concentration. You lived so distracted until you come to the graves. ‘hatta zurtum muqabar’. And everyone will die. And He sent his message through His Messengers so we don’t live our lives in forgetfulness but live this life as a means to Akhirah. “Until you visited the graves”. We come to the grave not to stay but to move to Akhirah:  Jannah and Naar. The grave is just a Barzakh, a transition. This is why Allah says zurtum ‘you visited the graves’ that it won’t be our final place. Yet we forget that and are distracted by piling, and worshiping the goddess Dunya. I remind myself and you that the Salihoon used to visit the graves to help us remember the Akhirah. Not to waste time, picnic or sing, or smoke or laugh, without the  proper attire, etc, but with certain attitude, etiquette, Adab in order that we remember Akhirah. So it helps us struggle against this Dunya. ‘Do visit the graves for they remind you of Akhirah’.

Ziyarah without that becomes another act of sin instead of an act that helps us cleanse from sin. ‘Zuru’ go visit the graves. And if visiting the graves is not enough, go visit the sick, the dying, a person at the moment of death to remind ourselves that no one remains in this Dunya.

102.003 But nay, ye soon shall know (the reality).
102.004 Again, ye soon shall know!

And Allah emphasizes this:  ‘for sure, you will know’ ‘then you will again know’ ‘thumma kalla sawfa talamun’. When death comes to the throat you will know for sure. All of this time we spent in Dunya was.. worthless. It was not worth it, even our worries, pain, emotions for problems of this Dunya, it was not worth worrying that way. Not worth living that way.

102.005 Nay, were ye to know with certainty of mind, (ye would beware!)
102.006 Ye shall certainly see Hell-Fire!
102.007 Again, ye shall see it with certainty of sight!
102.008 Then, shall ye be questioned that Day about the joy (ye indulged in!).

And then when we are in the grave and when we are asked by the Angels and see our deeds personified we will know even more and on the Day of Resurrection we will know ‘ayn al yaqeen’ certitude of seeing is there. Allah warns us before we see, before it is too late, Allah reminds us sisters and brothers.

Alhamdulillah we came to the Masjid of Allah for Salah, to change our Quloob, our attitude, our relationship with Allah. Not to just come with our bodies mechanically while our hearts and Arwah are still in Dunya and we don’t want to learn to change. Remember there are ppl who will pray yet they will have no share with Allah. I pray no one of us will be like that, but we must remind ourselves. Allah knows what’s in our heart, whether we want to change for Allah or we simply come for an external attitude.

There will be ppl who pray and will have no share with Allah az. I pray we come to salah so it helps us change in our Quloob and we don’t harbor munkar evil, evil traits or characteristics, shirk, kibr, ujum, riya, hasad, nifaq.. we remember death. We remember death. We remember our ultimate abode. I pray Salah be to us for a means that keeps us away from the evil inside of us and through our hands, eyes ears, sexual drives, drives of food, emotions, etc. Ya rabb. “You will see with your own eyes’ in this Dunya, ilm of yaqeen, through knowing, feeling and ibadah.

May Allah az give us ayn al yaqeen of this Dunya through the ayn of our hearts. My dear sisters and brothers ask Allah to make us of those that are not distracted by this Dunya and to constantly disengage you and me from the futile and dangerous attachment to this Dunya. Quran is recited so we attach ourselves to Allah and therefore to Akhirah. It’s not just recited to be heard. It’s so we listen to them, actualize, implore Allah to act upon them. The Quran is a call to come back home safely to Jannah. Not to be forgotten. May Allah help us actualize and establish the hudood of the Quran in ourselves, in our hearts and the jawarih. The rules of the hearts and the rules of the external. May Allah make us of the people of Quran, of those who love Quran, and make the Quran, the spring of our hearts, the light of our sight and the remover of our pain and sorrows. Ameen.

Ws………..

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: