// Healthy (Non fried) Samosa recipe please :)
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Moderation: The Prophet said: 'The religion (of Islam) is easy. No one ever made it difficult without it becoming too much for him. So avoid extremes and strike a balance, do the best you can and be cheerful, and seek Allah's help (through prayer) in the morning, and evening, and part of the night.' (Sahîh Bukhârî)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Healthy (Non fried) Samosa recipe please :)  (Read 3285 times)
Baji
Sis

Reputation Power: 33
Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)Baji is working their way up :)

« on: Aug 12, 2010 04:52 PM »

Salaams help need a recipe for low fat samosas - if there is such a thing!!!

Hubby and I are currently on a health drive well more me than him he’s coming along for the ride to make my job easier.... I am currently following weight watchers so trying to avoid fried foods (samosas, spring rolls, crispy chicken, chicken poppers.......ok ok I’ll stop now)....

For those who know me I loooovee cooking and trying new recipes etc I can’t resist tuning into cooking shows....and around Ramadan just before Iftar they have the most wonderful cooking segments on the Islamic/Pakistani/Indian channels....so today after preparing everything healthy for our own iftari I decided to watch one of these shows... the recipe – Samosas... v delicious looking but fried. By this time Hubby home from work too and the conversation goes as follows

Me: Do you mind if I watch this recipe
Him: Sure no problem think I have had these before their tasty but have a lot of fat in them
Me: I know but one day for a treat I’ll try the recipe
Him: ok – at this point he disappears ... when he comes back he’s like u know one samosa is only 2.5 points ( Shocked shock – how does he know that) so u can make me some and have one too...
Me: mmm but I thought we weren’t going to be doing fried foods during the week
Him: yes but u know its the first fast and samosas are a part of that!!!!
Me: (with no will power whatsoever) OK i'll fry some from the freezer....  :'(

Please anyone out there with a recipe for baked samosas or even spring rolls that isn't soggy help me out i'm desperate!!

thanks
Baji
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2010 08:35 PM »

Ok so we have the same dilemma this year... My hubby is playing The Biggest Loser with his friends and their last weigh in is supposed to be Eid day. He's worked so hard, he doesn't want to ruin it with the regular desi array of fried (and yummy) foods.

So I made my samosas regular... I usually make 3 different types: qeema, potato and peas, and spinach and feta cheese - and I usually keep the oil levels low anyway. I found samosa wraps made from whole wheat flour instead of white.  And I tried baking them for the first time today (yesterday was our 'first fast' exception day)... I just brushed them with a little oil and baked em at 375. Except for the potato ones, they turned out pretty great. I think what helps is that wraps were paper thin... So they didn't get soggy. If you freeze urs, try wiping off any icy bits with a paper towel. Even though I ziplocked mine... They still tend to get slightly freezer burned.

Would you like filling recipes?
UBAB
Bro

Reputation Power: 3
UBAB has no influence :(

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2010 08:38 PM »

OVEN BAKED SAMOSA'S

My mother has been making oven baked samosa's for very long time - we just didn't know the name. There are pros and cons to this.

Pro - about 70% less calories than a regular samosa.
Con - you end up eating about 70% more samosas Smiley

I will try to find her recipe, but here is a similar recipe to get you started

thobebro
   UBAB

Ingredients:-
----------
All purpose flour - 2 cups
Margarine - 2 tbsp
salt - 1 tsp
Water

For the stuffing:-
--------------
Potatoes - 2 large
Carrots - 2
Peas - 1 cup
Onion - 1 large
Beans - 1/2 cup
Green chillies - 1 large [Optional]
Turmeric powder -1/4 tsp
garam masala - 1/2 tsp
Kitchen king masala-1/2 tsp
Cumin - 1 tsp
Oil - 1tsp

Method:-
-------
1.Take flour,salt and 1/2 tbsp of margarine and add water and make a dough out of it just like chapathi and keep aside.Melt the remaing margarine and keep ready.

2.Then roll out into square chapathi's.Then grease it with melted margarine on the inner surface ,then fold it into half then again grease the inner side touching the margarine with your fingers.Then again fold it and roll ou into a sheet just like how you do for ghee parata's.These are the base for your samosa's.

3.Now for the stuffing cook all the vegetables in microwave.

4.Take a pan , add cumin and 1 tsp oil.Allow cumins to splutter then add onions and saute till they turn golden brown.

5.Then add all the veggies,season with salt,and the masala powder sprinkle with little water and mix all of them together.

6.Now cut the rolled out dough into small squares of about 3 inch lenght.

7.Roll out a cone fill the stuffing and seal the edges like a pie using the fork tooth.

8.Bake in a pre-heated oven of 350deg F for 20-30 mins until done.

9.Keep checking and rotating the sides of the samosa.

10.Enjoy with coriander chutney or tomato sauce. You Healthy and tasty samosa's are ready.

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2010 08:45 PM »

This thread is making me hungry.... mmmmmmmmmmmm hungry

Also check out the old posting of Rachel Ray Samosas http://jannah.org/madina/index.php?topic=3601.msg17018#msg17018 , that one is AWESOME, but impossible to find the halal pie dough. But if you guys are in muslim areas/towns you might be able to.

ws
Ilyas
Bro

Reputation Power: 2
Ilyas has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2010 09:30 PM »

Oh I am gonna have to try out these recipes after Ramadan inshAllah, not sure if I can handle preparing this stuff right now. I was out working in the yard for about 2 hours and I am now thirsty like no other Sad Still have 4 and 1/2 hours to go. Hope everyone is doing well.

Assalamu Alaikum
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #5 on: Aug 12, 2010 09:59 PM »

salam

Ooooh I want the feta cheese & spinach samosa recipe please.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #6 on: Aug 13, 2010 12:53 AM »

My Amma made samosas (keema & aloo versions) as well. One of cousin-sisters here, who is 3 years junior to me, loves them, so that's one of the reasons Amma busted out a bunch of those yesterday. Doesn't hurt to have those avalible at Iftar too!  Wink

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #7 on: Aug 13, 2010 09:30 AM »

salam

I can make the traditional kheema samosas and vegetable ones, but I want the feta cheese and spinach recipe...pleeeease.

I make make those all year round (in a spring roll or something), and have them for lunch at work.....

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
JustOne
Sis

Reputation Power: 17
JustOne has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Aug 13, 2010 02:17 PM »

Okay so I don't have quantities, because I just play it by ear...

Frozen spinach OR fresh spinach that has been wilted before hand (as in, boiled - because it's going to reduce to less than half the size - and you really need to squeeze the excess water out, then let it sit on paper towels for a while)
Feta cheese
Spring onions - diced very finely
Coriander - chopped
A clove or two of garlic
Green chillies - diced very finely
Teensy bit of red chili pepper (if you like em hot)

I don't use salt, because the feta is quite salty, but usually end up adding some black pepper to it.

Yum..

You guys actually make your own samosa wraps??? I'm so impressed!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: