Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What NOT to Iftar with....  (Read 2646 times)
Sarah Amena
Sis

Reps: 16

« on: Aug 13, 2010 03:43 AM »

Ugh....... I started out OK, breaking my fast with three dates and then I drank a Canada Dry and then ate two Reese's Peanut Butter cups and then a Snickers and then I ate a piece of chocolate cake that was left over from a baby shower that we had at work today and needless to say I feel horrible  sigh  No one should ever eat so much sugar in less than ten minutes!  This is what happens when I have to break fast at work smack

jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2777

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2010 05:36 AM »

wsalam,

lol... let me add to that 

what not to iftar with.... a whole box of cheetos ( yeah ugh...) also 4 pieces of tandoori chicken... i did both last year.. ugh...

WCoastbaba
Bro

Reps: 519

« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2010 05:45 AM »

Awwww, Sr. Sarah, sorry to hear that, yeah that doesn't sound too good. Hope tomorrow holds better options for you.

Sis Jannah - cheetos? Wow, that's a new one, but the tandoori chicken sounds good, but maybe only 2 pieces next time 'round.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]

Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1245

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2010 10:16 AM »

salam

I'm sorry, but that is one of the funniest posts I have read in a while.... Cheesy

Sweetie, make sure you have a sandwich and a bottle of ice cold water ready for iftar if you have to break fast at work. You are both crazy!

When I was expecting my first, I used to crave pizza and coke.....I'd break fast with the traditional date and water, and then eat pizza!!! I must have eaten a pizza a day for the entire month!!! My manager used to find it highly amusing, especially when I would occasionally finish my meal off with a double chocolate fudge cake slice!!! They were all waiting for me to get fat.....they continue to wait Cheesy

But no, avoid sugary foods when breaking fast, it only ends in nausea!!!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

skhansj
Bro

Reps: 14

« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2010 02:39 PM »

Salaam Alaykum Sister Sarah,
I hope that the rest of your Ramadan fasts go well and are accepted insha'Allah.

I usually try and separate the 'iftar' and the 'dinner'.... knowing that you only have a date or two, and some water to break the fast makes it a much more spiritual experience. I eat the main meal after Maghreb then.

Also as Sister Fouzia pointed out, it does not hurt to have a meal ready; though with the disruption in the sleep etc, I can understand if there is not enough time in the morning to prepare it. It may be worth it to prepare it the night before in that case.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Some of the 6000 other people reading this today should benefit, and not take a head-long dive into the sugar bowl insha'Allah  Wink

Abdullah (*
Bro

Reps: 1

« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2010 01:37 AM »

LOL. This was funny to read. I hope you do a little better next time. I didn't eat much sugar yesterday, but I did eat more than I wanted to. I broke fast with water....and steak and potatoes. Not exactly the most frugal of meals huh  Tongue. But today I just broke fast with three grapes and water. There aren't a lot of places that sell dates here in Columbus, so I figured grapes and dates are like cousins or something. Maybe I get SOME credit.

Then Which Of The Favors Of Your Lord Will You Deny?

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2010 03:04 AM »

I didn't mention this in my diary, but I followed our Iftar with a lamb shank that my mother had prepared. It was light and the way my mom made it, the soup/gravy was quite healthy too. Yes, as Br. Khan said, this was eaten after Maghrib Salah.

BABA
 desibro

skhansj
Bro

Reps: 14

« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2010 04:40 AM »

There you go. Eating after Maghrib is now doctor certified by WCoastBaba. Y'all do this, ya hear ya young whuppersnappers !

this was eaten after Maghrib Salah.

jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2777

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Aug 14, 2010 09:25 AM »

An aunty forced a pakora on me to break my fast Sad I just don't like them... t0o greasy and strange spices...there were like whole chilies in there ack   puke Felt horrible after, still do now. i can feel the oil... why do desis love them for iftar???

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #9 on: Aug 14, 2010 07:39 PM »

An aunty forced a pakora on me to break my fast Sad I just don't like them... t0o greasy and strange spices...there were like whole chilies in there ack   puke Felt horrible after, still do now. i can feel the oil... why do desis love them for iftar???

Sorry to hear that Sis J - if we do have pakoras (I think they are liked by desis because they are small little treats that are tasty, you can have several without being full or at least a few if they are chicken ones), they are usually those onion ones, and yes sometimes they do have a full or good-sized chili in them, but my Amma or khala's point those out so I avoid that sudden "fire-in-the-mouth" sensation, as I am sure you know now.

Wow, Sis J, I guess you are Amreekan afterall Wink Cheesy Grin I mean, yeah if they were too greasy, that is a turn-off, but usually they should be battered and light - the chicken ones should be like chicken-fingers, but I think ideally, for a light iftar, the onion ones are great - we even get them at the Indian restaurants/stores here, they are dry and maybe a little crunchy too. Big thumbs down for that aunty  Wink

There you go. Eating after Maghrib is now doctor certified by WCoastBaba. Y'all do this, ya hear ya young whuppersnappers !

this was eaten after Maghrib Salah.

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA, bhaya, that is hilarious! In all seriousness though, it is hard to balance the iftar and dinner, as they are even closer together time-wise. I think the Iftar should be light, just dates and a drink (milk, water) and then have a nice meal - then we can still follow the Hadith that states one=third food, one=third fluid, one-third air.

BABA
 desibro

Halima
Sis

Reps: 397

« Reply #10 on: Aug 14, 2010 08:02 PM »

What not eat for iftar... ice cream.  My nieces can't do without it.  Chocolate, vanilla, etc.  I shudder!  They try to tempt me, but I can't be moved. Not that I don't like ice cream - once in a while and its only vanilla. But ice cream for iftar? No, no, no...

But then again, they are Canadian teenagers. Perhaps, I shouldn't be surprised!

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira

Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reps: 185

« Reply #11 on: Aug 15, 2010 03:12 PM »

Me American and old...me like ice cream for iftar!!!!!!

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon

Halima
Sis

Reps: 397

« Reply #12 on: Aug 15, 2010 07:12 PM »

Ah, Sr.Kathy!  You got me there.  I made an assumption and you know what they say about making assumptions...

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira

Eleanor
Sis

Reps: 81

« Reply #13 on: Aug 15, 2010 10:12 PM »

Salaams,

Is there a way of making pakora in an oven? Or do they have to be deep fried? Myself and Y  (husband) are on a health kick and don't eat any fried stuff at present. However, I can tell he is yearning for a "taste of home" at iftar time.. I'm sure I read somewhere of how to make low-fat onion bhajis in the oven, but can't remember now..

Sorry for the thread hijack!!

I don't care what I eat at Iftar but I hate it when I overeat.. which happens quite often unfortunately.

wasalaam
Eleanor.

Nafs
« Reply #14 on: Aug 16, 2010 12:35 AM »

Walaikum Asalaam Sr Eleanor =)

I am not sure if you are speaking about something like this or not >

http://jannah.org/madina/index.php?topic=4581.0

Hope it helps InshaAllah.

khadija13
Sis

Reps: 15

« Reply #15 on: Aug 17, 2010 10:56 AM »

Walaikum Asalaam Smiley
hehehhehe well as i break fast in masjid so its same wid biscuit three dates water and tea very simple way n thn after isha namaaz we take full dinner with chicken meat rice bread sweet sharbhat n etc ....

sound interesting Smiley Wink

When you feel all alone in this world
And there's nobody to count your tears
Just remember, no matter where you are
Allah knows
Allah knows.....
Alhamdaollilah

Ilyas
Bro

Reps: 24

« Reply #16 on: Aug 17, 2010 07:16 PM »

You eat after Isha?

Assalamu Alaikum

Marcie
Sis

Reps: 30

« Reply #17 on: Aug 17, 2010 07:25 PM »

As salamu alaykum,

When I first became Muslim, I used to break my fast with Doritos.  Now it is 3 dates and a Gatorade, although I might eat a handful of chips when my husband isn't looking. Grin

Was salam,
Marcie

Christine_1208
Sis

Reps: 13

« Reply #18 on: Aug 17, 2010 08:45 PM »

salam

I'm sorry, but that is one of the funniest posts I have read in a while.... Cheesy

Sweetie, make sure you have a sandwich and a bottle of ice cold water ready for iftar if you have to break fast at work. You are both crazy!

When I was expecting my first, I used to crave pizza and coke.....I'd break fast with the traditional date and water, and then eat pizza!!! I must have eaten a pizza a day for the entire month!!! My manager used to find it highly amusing, especially when I would occasionally finish my meal off with a double chocolate fudge cake slice!!! They were all waiting for me to get fat.....they continue to wait Cheesy

But no, avoid sugary foods when breaking fast, it only ends in nausea!!!

Wassalaam

LOL! When I was prego with Lily she liked pizza Tongue not everyday though!

Sarah Sad Wish you lived closer I would make you some iftar. Although the cake does taste better then rice. hope your tummy if feeling better! NOTHING worse than a sick tummy Wink

Hugs to all those fasting, May Allah (swt) bless you and accept.

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.

Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1245

« Reply #19 on: Aug 17, 2010 10:11 PM »

salam

You know reading this thread is like reading a kids dream come true!

When I was little I promised myself I would buy every single chocolate bar available in the sweet shop...and when I grew up that is just what I did, and apparently I'm not the only one!!!!  Cheesy

Lets face it if this is how we eat how are we possibly going to convince our children to eat healthy!!!!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

khadija13
Sis

« Reply #20 on: Aug 18, 2010 09:49 AM »

You eat after Isha?
After isha namaaz i eat what ever der is i dinner almost meat chicken rice daal salaad sharbat n any sweet dish:)
n on specail day of Ramadan like 15 Ramadan is Very specl day so food will be too spcl such as kabaab biryani n many more Tongue
 Grin i m feeling hungry talkin all this hehehhehehhee
Well May ALLAH Bless us all with his Rehmat AlhamdaoLLILAH We R Bestowed with all the Rehmat of ALLAH

Allah knows
Allah knows.....
Alhamdaollilah

Ilyas
Bro

Reps: 24

« Reply #21 on: Aug 21, 2010 03:35 PM »

You eat after Isha?
After isha namaaz i eat what ever der is i dinner almost meat chicken rice daal salaad sharbat n any sweet dish:)
n on specail day of Ramadan like 15 Ramadan is Very specl day so food will be too spcl such as kabaab biryani n many more Tongue
Well May ALLAH Bless us all with his Rehmat AlhamdaoLLILAH We R Bestowed with all the Rehmat of ALLAH

I asked that because usually we eat a full dinner after Maghrib, even at the masjid. So you're pretty much going on an empty stomach for an extra hour and half or so, MashAllah. I was having a hard time the other day waiting the last 20mins. I had kabob the other day after a very very long time, sooooo delicious. Ameen.

Assalamu Alaikum

khadija13
Sis

« Reply #22 on: Aug 21, 2010 05:14 PM »

You eat after Isha?

I asked that because usually we eat a full dinner after Maghrib, even at the masjid. So you're pretty much going on an empty stomach for an extra hour and half or so, MashAllah. I was having a hard time the other day waiting the last 20mins. I had kabob the other day after a very very long time, sooooo delicious. Ameen.
salaam

yeah dinner is der in masjid Hall so we all combine in one plc n have dinner after isha namaaz n Imam msg Smiley
Its like after breaking fast more 2 hour we wait 4 dinner but its very  easy 4 me i m use to it Smiley

Allah knows
Allah knows.....
Alhamdaollilah

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: