// Graphic designer will be 'Homeless for One Week'
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: A learned man who doesn’t restrain his passions is like a blind man holding a torch, he guides others but not himself. -Shaykh Sa’di
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Graphic designer will be 'Homeless for One Week'  (Read 581 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Aug 15, 2010 05:14 AM »

Graphic designer will be 'Homeless for One Week' in Union Square Park to raise money, awareness

DAILY NEWS WRITER

Yusef Ramelize created "Homeless for One Week" to draw attention to, and raise money to combat homelessness.

A Queens man is hoping to turn sleeping on the streets into big bucks for the homeless.

Yusef Ramelize, a 33-year-old graphic designer, will leave his Ozone Park apartment Sunday and take up residence in Union Square Park. He won't shower and he won't have shelter during his "Homeless for One Week" project.

"My reasoning for doing this is to inspire people to make sacrifices within their own lives," Ramelize said of his project, now in its second year.

He raised $3,635 in March 2009 and donated it to the Coalition for the Homeless. This year's beneficiary will be the Food Bank of New York.

Ramelize will hand out flyers and keep a videotaped diary of his experiences in order to help elicit donations on his website, homelessforoneweek.com.

"It's really about me pushing myself to see how much of a sacrifice I'm willing to make every year to get the word out," Ramelize said.

Ramelize chose Union Square to pay homage to his biggest inspiration, Mohandas Gandhi, who is immortalized with a statue on the west side of the park.

"That's one of the reasons I did it here," Ramelize admits. "He wanted to bring peace around him, and he was willing to sacrifice his life."

As if braving the elements for seven days wasn't enough, the slender Ramelize will also be fasting from sunrise to sunset for the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.

His employer, Informa, gave him the week off without forcing him to dip into his vacation time - something Ramelize said he's grateful for. His boss, Nora Pastenkos, said it was a "no-brainer" to allow him to take the time to pursue his cause.

"Many people just walk by the homeless. He's one of those unique people who doesn't just walk by - he tries to make a difference," Pastenkos said.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/08/14/2010-08-14_hell_live_in_park_to_tout_sacrifice.html#ixzz0we1qFa21
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2010 06:35 AM »

Commendable. Zakat at its best with real sacrifice.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: