// Cabby stabbing - larger trend or one-off incident
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Family: The Prophet said: 'He is not one of us who does not show mercy to our little ones and respect to our elders.' (Sunan At-TirmidhĂ®)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cabby stabbing - larger trend or one-off incident  (Read 1268 times)
BigZ
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
BigZ has no influence :(

« on: Aug 26, 2010 02:42 PM »

Rider Asks if Cabby Is Muslim, Then Stabs Him

How much should we make of this? Should we treat this as a 'drunk man flying off the handle' incident or is it part of a larger trend? Are the Tea-baggers getting traction in the main-stream?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/26/nyregion/26cabby.html?_r=1&ref=nyregion

I just wish this crazy season hadn't started during Ramadan Sad

wassalam.
Abdullah (*
Bro

Abdullah (* has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2010 06:02 PM »

I don't think it'll grow much bigger than this. I think people will bring this to attention and nip it in the bud now, because it's gone way too far as it is. On the other hand, on September 11th, on the so-called "International Burn A Qur'an Day" I think there will be violence. It's sad.

Then Which Of The Favors Of Your Lord Will You Deny?
Ilyas
Bro

Reputation Power: 2
Ilyas has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2010 12:18 AM »

...On the other hand, on September 11th, on the so-called "International Burn A Qur'an Day" I think there will be violence. It's sad.

I hope otherwise, inshAllah.

Assalamu Alaikum
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2010 01:21 AM »

i think a sizable fraction of America simply hates muslims.  

for those of you who live in the States, i would say you are too close to the action to see the big picture. you mix with too many nice people that you don't notice the few people who don't like you.  you fail to appreciate that even if only 1 out of 10 people really hates you, in a population of 300 million people -- that's 30 million people baying for your blood.

i was just looking up the comments on Yahiya Emerick's "Idiot's introduction to islam" posted on Amazon.  i am simply amazed at how many people refuse to believe that islam could be be a "nice person's religion."  theyt stubbornly insist on believing that muslims are a violent horde bent on world domination, and the quran is a manual for killing.  and they believe this no matter how persuasive your arguments against this are.  

i have to say after looking through numerous comments sections on the ny mosque and other muslim issues, that many, many, many people simply wish all of you would simply wither away or die.

there has always been a groundswell of evangelical anger towards muslim -- but because of the obama presidency and the rascist hate that it has focused -- that hate is bubbling to the surface. for example, i remember when i was in 9th grade, my history teacher told my jewish english teacher that "like all muslims i would grow up to be a terrorist and kill her one day."  she laughed in his face (i was one of her favorite students -- she wrote my college recs in 12th grade) and told him he was a christian right wing nut.  that was before 9/11. since then there are a lot more right wing christian and non-christian nuts.

man, these are scary times in the good old US of A.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2010 03:58 AM »

salam

Gosh you're on a downer today Br Lucid!!!

There are nuts everywhere. Most people who hate 'mozlems' are just using us as a convenient focus for their hate, they've prolly never met a real muslim person. If they didn't have us they'd target blacks/jews/neighbours/immigrants in general... that's my experience anyway.

I had a friend at school, who was soooo racist, I remember we were all together once, and someone did something to rile him, and he yelled  something along the lines of effing paki (paki is a derogatory term in england), I turned to look at him with bemusement, to which he replied not you, youre not one of them.....I had to point out that errmmm yes I was...

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2010 06:48 AM »

I do think it is pretty scary. There are some in the media that are understanding as we have seen in posts on the Madina - Jon Stewart and Keith Olbermann and also, for those of you who know him, Cenk of TheYoungTurks.

Indeed, maybe living here, we don't see the larger picture, as we do meet kind people/neighbors, but I do certainly feel the tension and am always thinking about the mosque issue each Jumu'ah for sure, though al hamdulillah, nothing has happened at our masjid, though in the past, at the other masjid that I attend, there were some bad apples, so who knows . . . .

I will be out of the US for E'id as you may recall from my Diary, but I do think, it will be a very tension-filled and sadly hatred-filled day. Let's see what happens, insha'allah, I hope it won't be so, but sometimes, the "nuts" that you metion S.r Fozia, can be quite loud.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2010 10:07 PM »

Funny yet not really... Shocked Islamophobia is spreading across the US Sad I pray for the Muslims...

WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2010 10:51 PM »

Yikes - cool graphics and all - but man, we do need all the Help we can get (major du'a), us and Pakistan both. Sad

BABA
 Sad

BigZ
Bro

« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2010 05:14 AM »

Maybe it is the post-taraweeh contentment, or the nice and refreshing rooh-afza i just had, but i'm not feeling so paranoid anymore. I'm going to remember all the supportive non-muslim colleagues and bosses that i have worked with all these years and forget about the nuts. We survived the Bush W.O.T and Terror Alerts days, we will get past this too, inshaAllah. And New Yorkers know better than to mess around with Muslim Cabbies, else 90% of taxis will be driverless Wink

wassalam
skhansj
Bro

Reputation Power: 1
skhansj has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Aug 28, 2010 06:59 PM »

This reminds me of the hadith I heard in yesterday's khutba. It's from memory and not word for word, but the meaning is approximately correct.

In Mecca, our Prophet (PBUH) once came across an old woman who was dragging her luggage. Our Prophet (PBUH) helped her to carry the luggage. He then inquired as to the reasons for her travels.

The old women said that she was traveling to  Medina as this place (Makkah) was no longer a place for a decent person to live in. One of the residents of Makkah has claimed prophethood, and caused divisions between fathers and sons, mothers and daughters and brothers. She wanted to emigrate to a place safe from these tribulations.

Our Prophet (SAW)  listened and then told her, I am the person who you have described.

The interesting aspect of this story is that this old lady had believed the propaganda and the narrative in the 'media', to such extent that she was going to _leave_ the city. However, when she came across the person being vilified (Rasoo'Allah), she saw the truth and immediately took the shahadah.

We have a similar situation today; it is only through the sincere of our actions and by being true to our Islam (and the values espoused in our deen) that we can dispel the narrative that Muslims are criminal violence-loving terrorists, who oppress women and are backwards.

We have to take part in forums where people can meet the Muslim, because if we don't those same people will not be isolated from the media.

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2010 12:18 AM »

Excellent point Br. skhansj. I AGREE with you - we have to lead by example, then others will see the beauty of Islam, which insha'allah, will naturally overcome, with Allah's (swt) Blessing, those that are trying their utmost to give Islam a bad name.

Rep added  Smiley

BABA
 desibro

BigZ
Bro

« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2010 10:24 AM »

True. We need more people like this brother here -

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/28/nyregion/28bigcity.html?_r=1
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2010 09:38 PM »

salam

Reminds me of my favourite nasheed;

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: