Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neighbourhood Iftaar Sharing ... and other cool things...  (Read 1719 times)
UBAB
Bro

Reps: 37

2 [agree] or not 2 [disagree]-that is the question

« on: Aug 26, 2010 06:09 PM »

As-salam-mu-alaikum,

An interesting thing happened in the community where I moved in to recently... the homebuilder was offering a promotion that if you buy their new homes, they will offer a 3 year mortgage for zero percent interest....(meaning you get ano interest mortgage)

So what happened? Over a period of a year, over 60 Muslim families have moved in the neighbourhood of around 400 or so houses - so about than 1 in 7 households are Muslim...(~15%)

What was the sisters of the neighbourhood did is they got together, collected money from almost all the muslim households and made well over 200 family iftaar packages - which was then distributed to the non-muslim households...

The reaction has been good... were are trying to create a positive relationship with the neighbourhood ... its been fun because we get to meet the neighbours and see the reaction when they get free food.

Another brother on the next street makes a big big pot of biryani every friday which he then shares with his neighbours - Muslims or not...

Also... another cool thing is that everyone is sharing iftari with other households - being born in North America, I have never seen before - so people are driving around in minivans (aka microbus) with their kids dropping off iftar packages in multiple take out containers to lots of households like its a newspaper delivery route...

thobebro
   UBAB

Your heart will not truly open until you understand Surah 21 : Verse 92  (Al-Anbiya: The Prophets)

Help Build the Community! Visit:
Madinat al-Muslimeen > The City > Naseeha Corner > Community Toolbox

tq
Sis

Reps: 189

« Reply #1 on: Aug 26, 2010 06:16 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
Mashallalh , showing the true spirit of Islam - May Allah swt bless this neighbourhood with His Rahma, Ameen.

so people are driving around in minivans (aka microbus) with their kids dropping off iftar packages in multiple take out containers to lots of households like its a newspaper delivery route...

Reminds me of my childhood memories of taking iftar to our neighbours in Pakistan Smiley I guess being driven around for this purpose is much better ,since me and my sibling had to make sure that we dont drop any thing on the way.

Wasalam
tq

Marcie
Sis

Reps: 30

« Reply #2 on: Aug 26, 2010 10:46 PM »

As salamu alaykum,

Masha'Allah, you picked the right neighborhood to move into! 

That is really nice for the kids too. 

Was salam,
Marcie

WCoastbaba
Bro

Reps: 519

« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2010 03:52 PM »

Awesome - this is so great to hear about Br. UBAB. Insha'allah, may it continue for many years.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]

Nafs
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2010 09:14 AM »

Walaikum Asalaaaam!

Wow! That's soooo awesome. First that they offered 0 interest for three years... and then that so many muslims migrated to that area MashaAllah.

It's really nice to have muslim neighbors. We recently had a family move in down the street, and my mom loves sending stuff over, especially in Ramadan.

BigZ
Bro

Reps: 2

« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2010 10:10 AM »

Wow, i so miss this food-sharing tradition from back home. We lived in a big apartment bldg where many of our neighbors were non-muslims. And on Eid my sisters and me used to take Biryani & Sheerkorma to many of these families. So they always remembered Eid and even waited for it in anticipation of my mom's sumptuous biryani Smiley And not only that, they would usually return the utensils (there were no take out containers then) after a few days filled with their own special goodies.

I tell you, Biryani is the best way to build bridges  Cheesy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: