Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: It is impossible to lay hands on that which is not predestined for us, and that which is predestined for us will reach us wherever we are. -Shaykh Sa’di
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maid faces surgery after officials say employer hammers nails  (Read 847 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Aug 27, 2010 07:43 PM »

This is sick and so disgusting. When will the abuse of foreign workers In Saudi/the Gulf end!? Oppression and injustice keep on happening unchecked without any punishment or responsibility!!!

=====================================================

Colombo, Sri Lanka (CNN) -- Doctors at a Sri Lankan hospital operated for three hours Friday to remove 18 nails and metal particles allegedly hammered into the arms, legs and forehead of a maid by her Saudi employer.

Dr. Kamal Weeratunga said the surgical team in the southern town of Kamburupitiya pulled nails ranging from about one to three inches from Lahadapurage Daneris Ariyawathie's body. He said doctors have not yet removed four small metal particles embedded in her muscles.

"She is under heavy antibiotics but in a stable condition," Weeratunga said.

Sri Lankan officials, meanwhile, met with Saudi diplomats in Colombo to urge an investigation into the incident.

"It was cruel treatment which should be roundly condemned," said L.K. Ruhunuge of the Sri Lanka Bureau of Foreign Employment.

He said the Sri Lanka government has forwarded to Saudi authorities a detailed report on the incident including statements from Ariyawathie.

Ariyawathie left Sri Lanka on March 25 to work as a housemaid in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia after the bureau registered her as a person obtaining a job from an officially recognized job agency.

She was held down by her employer's wife while the employer hammered the heated nails, Ruhunuge told CNN. She apparently had complained to the couple that she was being overworked, Ruhunuge said.

The nails were hammered into her arms and legs while one was on her forehead, he said.

"Most of the wounds are superficial but five to 10 are somewhat deep," said Dr. Prabath Gajadeera of the Base Hospital. "Luckily, none of the organs is affected. Only nerves and blood vessels are affected."

Ariyawathie, 49, is a mother of two children who were opposed to their mother's journey to Saudi Arabia for work.

Several countries across the Middle East and Asia host significant numbers of migrant domestic workers, ranging from 196,000 in Singapore to about 1.5 million in Saudi Arabia, according to a report published earlier this year by Human Rights Watch.

Many of the domestic workers are poor Asian women from Sri Lanka, Indonesia, India, Bangladesh, the Philippines and Nepal. Widespread abuse has been documented by global human rights groups.

Common complaints include unpaid wages, long working hours with no time for rest, and heavy debt burdens from exorbitant recruitment fees, said the Human Rights Watch report.

Isolation and forced confinement contribute to psychological and physical abuse, sexual violence, forced labor, and trafficking, the report said. The abuse often goes unchecked because of a lack of government regulation and protective laws.

Ruhunuge said the registration of the local job agency that placed Ariyawathie has been cancelled.

"We have also asked [them] to pay compensation to the victim," he added. "We want to bring those responsible for justice. We are doing our best in this regard," he said.

He said his office was ready to accompany Ariyawathie to Saudi Arabia to testify if a case is brought against her former employers.

Ariyawathie's dream was to one day return to Sri Lanka and build a house with the money she saved.

"We are looking at the possibility of helping her to do this," Ruhunuge said.

Karu Jayasuriya, deputy leader of the main opposition United National Party, visited Ariyawathie in the hospital and said he was appalled.

"We want the government to raise this issue at the highest levels with the Saudi government. We cannot imagine that such crude and uncivilized things are happening to our workers," he said.

Saudi officials were not immediately available for comment.
Ilyas
Bro

Reputation Power: 2
Ilyas has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2010 07:51 PM »

The wife held her down?!! I was more shocked by that statement than the employer hammering nails into the poor lady's body. The wife, a woman..I always thought of women as being compassionate and reasonable. Tuba.

Assalamu Alaikum
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2010 09:58 PM »

This is sick and so disgusting. When will the abuse of foreign workers In Saudi/the Gulf end!? Oppression and injustice keep on happening unchecked without any punishment or responsibility!!!

this is an asian disease rather than a rich gulf arab disease.  us asians treat servants (and all middle class families have them) like virtual slaves.  

what these saudis did was unimaginable.  but, the sad fact is that maids and servants are routinely terrorized and physically abused by their own countrymen/women.  there are plenty of sri lankan madams (middle class women) who beat and do horrific things. where i live, they are sometimes even killed by out of control housewives.  

its not even considered a bad thing to bully your maid in our culture -- because it's "keeping them in line."  for example, my aunt routinely screams like a psychotic nutjob at her maid.  she doesn't hit her. she only verbally abuses her  Shocked.  and this is hardly criticized by anybody.

the reason i am bringing this up is for the longest time i used to really hate gulf arabs for their abuse of poor vulnerable brown-skinned asians.  but it suddenly dawned on me that us asians do the same thing.

my latest theory is that us asians and muslims really don't believe in equal human rights.  we don't give the poor their proper rights just as we don't give women their proper rights, because folks in this part of the world have very muddled ideas about equality and universal human rights.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2010 10:13 PM »

This is a case where I think an eye-for-an-eye justice would be appropriate don't you? They should hold them down and hammer in 12 hot nails each in both of them and then leave them there so everyone can see how they treated other human beings. Not very nice thoughts in Ramadan I know, but this just ain't right.
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2010 10:48 PM »

Ugyh, I saw this on Al-jazeera earlier. Yes, what is up with Saudi's and those that they employ??? Wasn't there a story that we had on the Madina not too long ago, that a Saudi though the could get away with murder a servant who wasn't doing things that only a true slave would do.

Yes, Sis J - though it is a negatiev thought - Qisas would be appropriate to really show them how cruel they are to their fellow humans - don't know what to say really though - there needs to be some serious re-thinking to how those in KSA ( I hate the fact they call it a Kingdom and if ayone's name belongs next to the word Arabia, it should be Our Prophet's not these crazy Saud's)

BABA
 desibro

Here's the video from Al-Jzeera

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
orangetree
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
orangetree has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2010 10:53 PM »

salaams,

I think this is disgusting and that the Saudi govt are not doing enough to take action who mistreat their workers.  

this is an asian disease rather than a rich gulf arab disease.  us asians treat servants (and all middle class families have them) like virtual slaves.

Personally, I think it's the other way around for asians, from what I've seen the servants have the upper hand.  I remember when staying with my grandparents in Bengladesh, the servants wanted time out to watch TV which they got.  Also, my grandfather made everyone call them helpers not servants.  You put so much trust in servants, they live with you, they know you're daily routine.  There are ppl who are reluctant to let servants go, knowing what they might do in retaliation.

Although, maybe my personal experiences are affecting my judgment.  A servant did hold me over a balcony once.  

"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth “you owe me”. Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky." Hafiz
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2010 12:31 AM »

salam

OMG really Shocked

Although, maybe my personal experiences are affecting my judgment.  A servant did hold me over a balcony once.  

How awful for you subhanallah.

I think people tend to go to one of two extrmes with servants, treat them like dirt, or tiptoe around them scared they will leave.

We treat them like employees, human beings, they do the work, get paid and go home. If they want to leave fine, we pay well, and treat them well, if they don't want that it's their perogative.
My experience is they stay and behave well, our current domestic staff have worked for us right the way from the parents to the kids as they've gotten older.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
orangetree
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
orangetree has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Aug 28, 2010 01:20 PM »

salam

OMG really Shocked

yep, although now I can look back on it and laugh.  It happened when I was 5yrs old.  I can't remember what I was doing (I didn't provoke her, I swear!) but she picked me up and held me over the balcony.  We were several floors up.  I started crying out and my nani (grandma) came and told her off. 

She didn't get the sack.  She still works for the family!

"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth “you owe me”. Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky." Hafiz
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Aug 28, 2010 03:22 PM »

salaams,

I think this is disgusting and that the Saudi govt are not doing enough to take action who mistreat their workers.  

Personally, I think it's the other way around for asians, from what I've seen the servants have the upper hand.  I remember when staying with my grandparents in Bengladesh, the servants wanted time out to watch TV which they got.  Also, my grandfather made everyone call them helpers not servants.  You put so much trust in servants, they live with you, they know you're daily routine.  There are ppl who are reluctant to let servants go, knowing what they might do in retaliation.

servants in bangaladesh are treated like trash.  trust me on that. 

in india they are treated even worse.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: