Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fasting and Root Canals!  (Read 2076 times)
Sarah Amena
Sis

Reps: 16

« on: Sep 02, 2010 08:13 AM »

Salam Alaikum Everyone,

Quick question, I am going in for two root canals tomorrow morning, not one, but two !!  I  was going to try and fast because I already had to miss Monday because of severe dental pain but I am not sure if I will be able to maintain my fast with the procedures. I am currently on painkillers and I would prefer to get myself all drugged up before going in for such an invasive procedure but I am not sure if I should still try to fast and just use them in the evenings...... Does a root canal procedure break my fast and how much pain should I be in before I give up and break my fast? Any advice will be appreciated!

Also, please everyone do a dua for me tomorrow! I  AM SCARED!  Huh?  Undecided  Lips Sealed  Shocked  Sad

Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1245

« Reply #1 on: Sep 02, 2010 04:21 PM »

salam

First of all, may Allah grant you shifaa, and dont be scared root canals are pretty common procedures...says the accountant Roll Eyes

Secondly, you're gonna fast??? Are you NUTS?Huh?

Personally I would not attempt to fast when undergoing a medical procedure, you might make yourself more ill. Make it up later inshallah.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

skhansj
Bro

Reps: 14

« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2010 06:24 PM »

I went through a root-canal a few days ago. It's pretty painless nowadays (if you have a good dentist with the right tools). You may get a bit of a swelling later as the infection has been stirred up.

If you are worried about the pain, and need pain-killers etc, don't fast that day. You have the option of making it up later.

I decided to keep my fast, as I've had a root canal before (on the same tooth) and didn't find it so bad.

Just remember to do plenty of zikr when you're on the dentist's chair, it makes the time pass really quickly, and I found that it pretty much negated most of the pain.

- skhansj

Sarah Amena
Sis

Reps: 16

« Reply #3 on: Sep 03, 2010 07:48 AM »

Thanks for your advice guys  Grin  My niya was to fast and I woke up for suhoor and everything, however once the procedure started, the dentist put that numbing stuff in my mouth, like that super strong orajel and I could feel some of it going down my throat, so nevertheless I will InshAllah being making up today's fast, I think I am at like 9 days that I have to make up  Sad Such a bummer  sigh

rahma
Sis

Reps: 739

« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2010 11:01 AM »

If so,then the shot would invalidate the fast.

For real?  Huh?

A shot doesn't ease your thirst or hunger in any way...  Why would it break your fast?  Are there any hadith to back this up? 

Just wondering...

Marcie
Sis

Reps: 30

« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2010 04:05 AM »

As salamu alaykum Rahma,

JAK for posing the question and please forgive me for my mistake.  I was wrong, which is why I should never give Islamic advice!!!!  I looked it up in Fiqh us-Sunnah.  It says that injections do not break the fast.

Was salam,
Marcie

rahma
Sis

Reps: 739

« Reply #6 on: Sep 06, 2010 11:01 AM »

Assalaamu Alaykum, Sister Marcie! 

Thanks for looking that up! 

I had received an injection a few weeks ago, and when I read your post, I was like, oh no, I've got another day to make up....

Al hamdulillah, I didn't lose that day.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: