Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 19, 2014 11:23 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: All the world's a kabob truck.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Understanding  (Read 1261 times)
writer

Reputation Power: 0
writer has no influence :(

« on: Sep 09, 2010 11:22 PM »

I am a writer who is attempting a novel to promote understanding/acceptance of Islam in American society. If you have the time (especially if you are a Muslim woman), I would like to ask a few questions to further my own understanding.

For me, as a non-religious person and a feminist, this is a difficult topic to master. I have read books about the prophet Muhammad and books written by American Muslim women in defense of Islam, and I have found that there are incredible misconceptions about Islam in my society. I have discovered how respectable Islam truly is, how when it was created, it was very progressive for its time, particularly with the rights it endowed to Arabic women at the time. I am not planning on converting to Islam (or any religion for that matter), but I believe it is important to respect other people's values and accept facets of other cultures, as long as they are just. That is the point of my novel.

That said, I also have read about the mistreatment of Muslim women and male domination permitted by the Qur'an. I know it is argued that this is a product of culture, not religion (and I have observed similar patterns with Christianity). The overall message of Islam is beautiful; when we read into it, however, that is where debate usually starts to stir up. This leads me to my questions. Please note that these are not meant to offend or challenge; they are merely common questions that permeate the minds of many Westerners, and in order for me to write about Islam fairly, I must understand the answers to these questions.

1) Do women have a choice to wear the hijab, and if they choose against it, are they ostracized?

2) Are men allowed to beat their wives? I understand that Muhammad did not beat his wives and he encouraged fellow men not to as well, but has it become a common practice?

3) Are women allowed to leave the house without a chaparone? Are they allowed to speak without permission? Are they allowed to be in a room with another person without their husband present? Can a woman visit the doctor without her husband present? Is a man allowed to be alone in a room with another woman without his wife present? What are the reasons for your answers?

4) Are women's opinions considered valuable?

5) What, according to you personally, are a woman's duties in Islamic society? Is it respected for a wife to have a career? I have read about female leaders who have been elected in Islamic societies and Muslim women who have been educated as doctors and lawyers, so I am assuming the answer is yes, but I want to know your thoughts on this.

6) Are women considered equal to men?

7) What are the measures men must take to practice modesty?

Cool Is a man expected to be faithful to his wife, just as women must be faithful to her husband?

9) How often is a Muslim expected to go to the mosque to pray?

Thank you for your help!
sofia
Sis

Reputation Power: 8
sofia has no influence :(

Ya Muqallib Al-Quloob thabbit quloobana ala deenik

« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2010 05:41 PM »

Writer,
Sounds like an interesting venture!

However, a lot of these questions are actually best left for an Imam or Islamic scholar. If you're more interested in getting to know the experiences Muslim women have, that's a different story (and you may just want to reword some of your questions).

Both technical questions about Islamic rulings (for scholars) and experiences of Muslim women (from us) would help you out with your novel. And in the meantime, this site's main page (www.jannah.org) has a wonderful women's section that answers a lot of your technical questions, should you not get a chance to talk to your local Imam.

Good luck!
Sofia Smiley

"My Lord! Increase me in knowledge." (Qur'aan 20.114)
"Our Lord! We believe, so forgive us, and have mercy on us, for You are the Best of all who show mercy!" (23:109)
"And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves..."(3:10)
writer

Reputation Power: 0
writer has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2010 03:27 AM »

Thank you for the guidance! I will definitely speak to an Imam.

Reading the posts has been very helpful (though there are so many to view!). To me, the overall feeling I get is that women feel gratified in this religion. Perhaps the best thing that women reading this can offer is perhaps a statement or viewpoint in response to the following question:

If you were to make a powerful statement (or statements) to the American public about your religion in order to increase people's understanding, what would it be?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: