Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E'id-ul-Fitr in Prague 1431/2010  (Read 3364 times)
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reps: 519

« on: Sep 10, 2010 12:00 PM »

As salaamu alaikum and E'id Mubarak to all of you on the board. Since I'm away from home, I feel honored to be able to share this day with all of you, as well as the past month of course. This was my last Ramadan/E'id in Prague, as insha'allah, I'll be graduating next spring/summer. One thing I've always loved about being here is that I get to see/meet Muslims from nations that I know I would otherwise never meet living in the good old NW United States. Yes, there are the many Paksitani's that I have known these last 5 years, the Malaysians who are my fellow medical students, but there are Uzbek's Kazakh's and those of the other former Soviet Republics here as well, plus many Africans (we walked to salah today with a brother from Benin, who you will see in the videos I will be posting soon insha'allah) I think that is jsut awesome, to be able to see the diversity of Muslims on such a wonderful day.

Anyways, here are some pictures and later on, I will post the videos for your enjoyment - some of which I have narrated  Smiley I hope you'll be able to understand me, I really dislike my voice when played back, argh! hehe.

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2010 02:07 PM »

As you can see, I left in a car, though I had come via train (underground) and then of course some walking. Myself and two other medical students were taken by a kind Pakistani brother to the Halal Fast Food, which I used to frequent much more oftne in my early years in Prague, where we enjoyed some paratha, channa and mango lassi! Yum!

Photos!
BABA
 desibro

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2010 02:48 PM »

Sis J - Can you re-size that first photo please?! Thanks!

Here are the videos - yup, my voice sounds so silly, argh! *sigh*

jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2775

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2010 03:48 PM »

Wow weird to hear Wcoastbaba's real voice and think of him as a real person! Now I know what kind of shock you guys must have gone thru watching my ramadan video Smiley Anyways nice to see your Eid...I just came back from our Eid prayers, so amazing thinking of the Eid takbir being chanted all over the world in every far away place wherever there are Muslims. Ahhh now that it's all over I have to go back and read all the Ramadan diaries. It's been so crazy I didn't get a chance to read more than half of them Sad Will be commenting soon. Jazaks for contributing everyone, here's an Eid bebzi on me!!  bebzi

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2010 04:57 PM »

Wow weird to hear Wcoastbaba's real voice and think of him as a real person!

Haha, I hope I didn't lose any coolness points with you Sis J, given my voice so doesn't match with my awesomeness,  Wink

BABA
 desibro

Halima
Sis

Reps: 397

« Reply #5 on: Sep 10, 2010 09:37 PM »

Wow! Maasha-Allah! Gives you a nice feeling to see how fellow Muslims fast and celebrate Eid around the world. You feel the connection immediately. Both the pics and the videos did that. And your voice is really good!!! You should hear mine - it will freak you out. A brother from a Benin, huh! There are many Muslims in West Africa. The mixture is amazing - Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe and North America. One Umma indeed.

What percentage of Czech's are Muslims? Curious to know!

Thank you, brother WCoastbaba. It was really fun watching the videos!

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #6 on: Sep 10, 2010 10:14 PM »

Aww, I'm so glad you liked the videos Sr. Halima!

haha that's kind of you Aww, there is no way a sister's voice could sound freaky!  Smiley You would have to do a lot to convince me of that!

I just looked it up on Wikipedia - its says there are about 10,000 Muslims in the CR. I know for a fact it is one of the most irreligious countries inteh world, but there are many beautiful churches from before the Communists arrived, and though they are now gone, there is only a small percentage of practicing people of Faith.

Most of the Muslims are from the former Soviet Republics, as I mentioned and also, from Bosnia (Wikipedia). There are also many converts among the local people. Once, when I needed to translate documents for my visa application, I went to one place not far from my flat, just off the main square and the main guy there, told me his daughter had converted (this, of course, after telling him about myself).

You are most welcome my dear - makes me feel so happy that you had fun watching the videos.

BABA
 desibro

Halima
Sis

Reps: 397

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2010 12:05 AM »

haha that's kind of you Aww, there is no way a sister's voice could sound freaky!  Smiley You would have to do a lot to convince me of that!

Believe me, you wouldn't want to hear it.

I just looked it up on Wikipedia - its says there are about 10,000 Muslims in the CR. I know for a fact it is one of the most irreligious countries inteh world, but there are many beautiful churches from before the Communists arrived, and though they are now gone, there is only a small percentage of practicing people of Faith.

It is sad to hear that most people are irreligious. But at least there are Muslims and Masjids.

Most of the Muslims are from the former Soviet Republics, as I mentioned and also, from Bosnia (Wikipedia). There are also many converts among the local people. Once, when I needed to translate documents for my visa application, I went to one place not far from my flat, just off the main square and the main guy there, told me his daughter had converted (this, of course, after telling him about myself).

Yes, I got that the brothers you mentioned are from former Soviet Republics - Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan - that is why I mentioned Eastern Europe. Glad to know that people are reverting/converting.

How are Muslims and Islam viewed there?

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira

Sarah Amena
Sis

Reps: 16

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2010 04:56 AM »

Eid Mubarak Brother WCoastbaba,

Loved the pictures and the videos! For some reason it's hard for me to imagine Eid and Muslims in Prague, SubanAllah now I know better  happy

Which one are you?Huh???

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2010 06:38 AM »

Sr. Halima - There was a Czech Cardinal did speak out against Islam and how it is spreading in Europe/the apathy of Christians/lack of members - just part of the growing Islamophobia in Europe. As far as the public, I haven't noticed anything and they never give us any trouble at JUmu'ah, which takes place in a small mall-type area, where they walk by us brothers as we chat afterwards in the hallway.

Sr. Sarah - Sorry dear - I took the pictures, so um - not in them! I am a bit shy/wary to put my picture on the 'net, not the most photogenic person and I just enjoy taking pictures, rather than being in them, unless it's really necessary (weddings, etc). Glad you enjoyed the pictures and videos though.

BABA
 desibro

Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reps: 185

« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2010 05:24 PM »

As salaamu alaykum
All I could think of was "my people, my people!"
Yes- my grandparents are from Czechoslovakia. I often wondered if there were Muslims back then because their name is 'Hudak.' Huda with a k.
What language was the khutba in? Where were the women?
Loved the videos.. great voice.
Looks like the little kid had no idea why you were stuffing money in his pants... I remember when I first saw people doing it to Ali- when he was born. It was quiet startling.
Was there food served? What kind of food? At the masjid- what was the ration of nationals and foreigners?

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon

Sarah Amena
Sis

Reps: 16

« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2010 06:13 PM »

Salam Alaikum WCoastbaba,

Hey, I understand, honestly! Apparently, I am just shameless and will plaster my pics all over  Grin, it definitely wouldn't hurt me to be more like you  Wink

Again, thanks for the pics and video, I loved them!

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #12 on: Sep 11, 2010 09:34 PM »

Sr Kathy - Wow, that is SO cool, that your grandparents are from this region of the world!

Khutbah was in Arabic - one clip has the khutbah in it, if you didn't get a chance to click on that one.

Women were in the part of the masjid behind us, that I did pan to for a few moments, but otherwise, mu camera was trying to steer clear of that area and lower his gaze - though you will see his some sisters as they were entering as they stopped by the door - I think one was in frame for a quick moment. I remember one year, we were just in this large gym and ma'sha'allah, I could see many sisters and little ones running around, as well as some fellow sisters who are also studying medicine. Sadly though, this year, the Malaysians - brothers and sisters both - who I am buddies with (I know 4-5 closely, from the previous Iftar's we would have during the school year a few years back), were invited to do the salah with their ambassador at some private sight, so they didn't join us this year, but I won't tempt myself into saying something too negative. Though you may not have seen it in the videos, there were sisters streaming in with every small group as they arrived and I am guessing many were already inside, as we only arrived about 30 min before salah started.

As for the kid, he came back and my friend (Pakistani Norwegian) passed the money to me and I handed it to the boy. He came back after some of the elder brothers to my left told him to take the money, which was 100 Czech crowns, equal to about $5.

Food, I only managed to take a picture after the snacks had been eaten, but there were some crackers with seeds on top, sweetened with honey and those wafer things with small layers of chocolate in between that you can get at convenience stores here. I am not sure if there was more - they may have been finished my the time I took the pictures - one year we had small pastries with dates inside, those were pretty good. I was too busy hugging my bros before I got those food shots - sorry about that!  Smiley

Sis Kathy - don't think I can answer that one - it's just a big mix - students, the Pakistani businessmen that work in the halal shops, restaurants (like the one we went to, as you see in the pictures) or the convenience stores I mentioned (I live right by one, so I practice my Urdu with them - it's gotten much better here, even my family is impressed, my grandmother included, after the first few years) and the others that I've mentioned above - those from the former Soviet republics, Bosnia-Herzigovina, etc.

Sis Sarah - Aww, it's all good. No no, not shameless - I'm just feeling insecure these days, that's all, about the ol face - but I did get my late father's face, alhamdulillah, it's just that I lost my hair 20 years too early and generally, I try so hard to keep my eyes open with the flash for example, then I forget to smile! argh! So, you're fine sis and you are way more photogenic than I am, that's for sure!

BABA
 desibro

Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1244

« Reply #13 on: Sep 11, 2010 10:14 PM »

salam

The funny thing about voices is that one never sounds how one hears one self. I too dislike my recorded voice, it sounds nothing like the 'me' I hear when I speak!

Your voice bro, is fine. I bet your's is too Sr Halima.

I've not seen all the vidoes, I'll prolly post more when I watch them all.

I think I heard that hair loss is hereditary (on the male side thank goodness!), nothing wrong with with that either, alhumdulillah that you aren't a balding sister, my friends fiance shaves his head because his hair fell out when he was something like 16!

I'm glad there are Muslims from Bosnia there and the rest of Eastern Europe, they've not had an easy time of it subhanallah.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

akhan
Bro

Reps: 1076

« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2010 01:55 PM »

wow..I never thought there would be muslims in the Czech Republic of all places  Shocked
SubhanAllah!

skhansj
Bro

Reps: 14

« Reply #15 on: Sep 12, 2010 03:09 PM »

The whole world is a musalla (a place of prayer), and the signs of Allah are everywhere.

I saw the food in the restaurant, and I'm like, I want that classic, road-side plate of channah (chickpeas) and parathas so badly! It's been forever since I've had decent street-food.

.. and your voice sounds quite decent. Very calm and collected. Always a plus point in my books :-)

khadija13
Sis

Reps: 15

« Reply #16 on: Sep 12, 2010 06:34 PM »

As salaamu alaykum bro.....
Lovely i wish u happy eid too Smiley
Mashallah good work

When you feel all alone in this world
And there's nobody to count your tears
Just remember, no matter where you are
Allah knows
Allah knows.....
Alhamdaollilah

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #17 on: Sep 12, 2010 07:51 PM »

Wa alaikum as salaam Sr. Fozia - Yes, true, one's voice as one hears never sounds like it when heard back.

Thanks and yeah Sr. Halima needs to stop thinking that. I didn't mention that at one point I was talking with my best friend (a girl) here on MSN via voice clips and she would say "Your voice . . .!" so for some reason or another, it sounded "nice" to her. Don't know how to reproduce that though, hehe; i think it was because I was speaking softly, at rest, etc.

Do post more insha'allah after you watch them all.

Thanks for the hair comment (sorry if I've turned this thread into a discussion on self-image issues!). My Abba (dad) also had thinning hair towards the end of his life, but he was in his early 50s, so I wish it could have hung around a bit longer.  Wink

Salaam Brl akhan - yeah, it was a bit surprising, but pretty awesome when I first stepped into the rooms that we use as a masjid (a 7-min walk from my flat (=apartment, which I normally say, but I've turned partly Euro!). Here is a link to pictures of that mosque: http://americanbrother.blogspot.com/2009/10/prague-mosque.html

Br. skansj - Indeed, so true.

Awww, I hope you get your hands on some similar food soon!

Aww, that's kind of you. I knew that all of you and others would be hearing it, so I made the extra effort to make things audible, understandable. I actually tend to speak too fast and that doesn't help here overseas, as you can imagine - or even with my khala's back home at times!

Wa alaikum as salaam Sis Khadija -
thanks so much dear, glad you enjoyed it. I hope you had a happy E'id as well.

BABA
 desibro

Fozia
Sis

Reps: 1244

« Reply #18 on: Sep 12, 2010 11:02 PM »

salam

Awww I think you scared that little boy, did he take the eidi from you in the end??

The imam could have done with a speaker or something, I bet people inside the building couldn't hear the khutbah.

Dunno why, but I always find it deeply touching to come across Muslims from different cultures & countries...

Thank you for sharing a little bit of your Eid with us br.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #19 on: Sep 16, 2010 11:47 AM »

salam

Awww I think you scared that little boy, did he take the eidi from you in the end??

The imam could have done with a speaker or something, I bet people inside the building couldn't hear the khutbah.

Dunno why, but I always find it deeply touching to come across Muslims from different cultures & countries...

Thank you for sharing a little bit of your Eid with us br.

Wassalaam

Salaam Sr. Fozia - thanks for coming back to comment after watched everything.

Yes, he came back, after the elder brothers that you see him run back towards told him to come back, I took the money from the brother who was giving it to hin in the video, and the little guy took it happily.

Later, the Imam was given a mic to attach to his clothes, so I hoped that helped those that were inside.

Aww, me too sis, it is always moving to see that so many throughout the world are doing the same things you are doing, even though they seem distant, both physically and in terms of language and other cultural differences. It should really remind us we are One Ummah.

You're welcome, I wanted to share a bit of life with all of you and I think, what better way to share a bit of my E'id with you guys and gals. Smiley

BABA
 desibro

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: