Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 20, 2014 09:22 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: O rishta, rishta, wherefore art thou my rishta.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hijab  (Read 2813 times)
Sarah Amena
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Sarah Amena has no influence :(

« on: Sep 12, 2010 05:08 PM »

Salam Alaikum and Eid Mubarak everyone,

Quick question,

Is it mandatory for a woman past childbearing age to wear hijab?
Also, are there any specific ayahs related to that topic?

Jazak Allah Khair,

Amena
seekingtawbah
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2010 05:59 AM »

sis it is mandatory for every woman past the age of puberty to observe hijab and jilbab, because the quran is translated into english women think they can wear hijab with pants and stuff, that is wrong, the Scholars say that even niqab is fard, that is the opinion of the 4 imams and others. but hijab and jilbab are fard, as described in the "ayah of jalabib" which is jilbab. i will put an article i made here for u

According to the scholars the correct opinion of how Muslimah should dress is very clear for those who follow true Guidence. We live in a time were tight pants and shirts on a female is not only plagueing the landof Kuffar, but it has creeped into the land which is a Muslim majority. The Muslims are having an identity crisis which affects the deen more than one can imagine.

The prophet salla alayi wa salaam said" Do not dress and look like the kuffar, first you will look like them, then you will act like them, then you will become one of them"

So here you can use as evidence for Muslims who think dress is not important and it is what is in the breasts that is important. This logic is wrong as we see, first you will look like them, then you will act like them. Looking like a Muslim is absolutly paramount and the very foothold of the deen. Islam is a structure that is raised high. It needs a base to put it together, and that base is the very fundemental principles of looking like a Muslim. One when you go outside and you walk by a Muslim wether male or female you need to say salaam. But how do you say salaam when you cant even tell who is a Muslim, Men dont grow their beard and look like Kuffar, Women dont cover and look like Kuffar. So how are you going to act like a Muslim if you cant even follow the most basic fitrah of yourself. The hadith shows that eventually by looking and dressing like the kuffar, one day you are going to leave your religion. And if you think otherwise you are going against the sayign of Rasullah salla alayi wa salaam.

Once again, To understand ones deen one must abtain the knowledge of the Ulema and their opinions. As the prophet salla alayi wa salaam said" follow the majority". Allah has commanded women to cover in Quran in a few different clear ayat. The first was the verse of Hijab, which told women to cover everything except for there hands and face.

Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks close round them (when they go abroad). That will be better, so that they may be recognised and not annoyed. Allah is ever Forgiving, Merciful.” (Quran 33:59)

Now if you are a women who says Hijab is not fard, which I have heard to many times one can question you Islam as you are mking halal haram and haram halal. This is such a clear issue to think otherwise will make you look bad. The evevidence that the women use to say only hijab is fard is when Ibn abbas said" the face and hands re not awrah" which means that you do not have to cover there face. Now what the say is true. However, you need to understand the order the revelations were revealed. This used to be the opinion of Ibn abbas until the verse of jalabib came down in Surah al Azhab.

Surah Al-Ahzaab, Verse #59
‘O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks ("Jalabib") veils all over their bodies (screen themselves completely except the eyes or one eye to see the way Tafseer Al-Qurtabi) that is most convenient that they should be known (as such) and not molested: and Allah is Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful."

This verse was revealed after the first verse of hijab. We know that some verses are nulled out by better verses,

This is because allah said in Quran 2:106 :
"Whatever a verse (revelation) do We abrogate or cause to be forgotten, We bring a better one or similar to it".

After this verse was revealed Ibn Abbas changed his opinion that covering the face became fard. Without know the correct order of revelation one cannot understand how niqab is fard. So you can no longer use the statement of ibn abbas that the hands and face are awrah.

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 6, Book 60, Hadith # 282
Narrated Safiya bint Shaiba (Radhiallaahu Ánha) "Aisha (Radhiallaahu Ánha) used to say: "When (the Verse): "They should draw their veils over their necks and bosoms," was revealed, (the ladies) cut their waist sheets at the edges and covered their faces with the cut pieces.

It is known that every wife of the prophet salla alayi wa salaam covered her face, Yes they covered there face in total. this should be a evidence in itself that they understood quran better than you because they saw quran from the mouth of rasullah salla alayi wa salaam when it was fresh.

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 1, Book 8, Hadith # 368
Narrated 'Aisha (Radhiallaahu Ánha) Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) used to offer the Fajr prayer and some believing women covered with their veiling sheets used to attend the Fajr prayer with him and then they would return to their homes unrecognized . Shaikh Ibn Uthaimin in tafseer of this hadith explains "This hadith makes it clear that the Islamic dress is concealing of the entire body as explained in this hadith. Only with the complete cover including the face and hands can a woman not be recognized. This was the understanding and practice of the Sahaba and they were the best of group, the noblest in the sight of Allah (swt) with the most complete Imaan and noblest of characters. so if the practice of the women of the sahaba was to wear the complete veil then how can we deviate from their path? (Ibn Uthaimin in the book "Hijaab" page # 12 and 13)

Contemarary scholars such as Ibn Uthaiymeen and Ibn Baz agree that Covering the face is wajib/fard. Because this was the way the Sahaba taught quran and understood it. Now keep in Mind all of the scholars names and opinions and add them up at the end and without a doubt you will know the consensus of the scholars. One of the biggest things with sisters is they are afraid to study niqab so dont bother reading it, because wearign it would just be a hassle. Do not think that not knowing will be an excuse for you on the day of judgement. Where as Allah might say to you did you not have enough time to read and learn. so staying ignorant will not exactly protect you as one will have you believe.

Tirmidhi with a SAHIH chain reports...
"Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said “All of a woman is ‘awrah.” (Shaikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid quotes this hadith narrated by Tirmidhi with a sahih isnaad and says this is a direct hadith from Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam ) and has made it clear that a woman must cover everything including the face and hands!)

What some scholars have said about the book of Jami at Tirmidhi,-Imam Abu Ismail `Abdullah bin Muhammad Al-Ansari in Harrah said about this book: `To me, his book is better than the book of Al-Bukhari and that of Muslim. Because only one who is an expert in knowledge can arrive at the benefit of the books of Al-Bukhari and Muslim, whereas in the case of the book of Abu `Eisa, every one of the people can reach its benefit."In Jami`Al-Usul, Ibn Al-Athir said: "(It) is the best of the books, having the most benefit, the best organization, with the least repetition. It contains what others do not contain; like mention of the different Madhhabs (views), angles of argument, and clarifying the circumstances of the Hadith being authentic, weak, Gharib (odd), as well as disparaging and endorsing remarks (regarding narrators)."

Other hadith from the Sunan collection

Abu Dawood Book 14, Hadith # 2482
Narrated Thabit ibn Qays (Radhiallaahu Ánhu): A woman called Umm Khallad came to the Prophet (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) while she was veiled. She was searching for her son who had been killed (in the battle) Some of the Companions of the Prophet (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said to her: You have come here asking for your son while veiling your face? She said: If I am afflicted with the loss of my son, I shall not suffer the loss of my modesty. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said: You will get the reward of two martyrs for your son. She asked: Why is that so, oh Prophet of Allah? He replied: Because the people of the Book have killed him.

Abu Dawood Book 32, Hadith # 4090
Narrated Umm Salamah, Ummul Mu'minin (Radhiallaahu Ánha): When the verse "That they should cast their outer garments over their persons" was revealed, the women of Ansar came out as if they had crows over their heads by wearing outer garments.

Abu Dawood Book 32, Hadith # 4091
Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin (Radhiallaahu Ánha) "May Allah have mercy on the early immigrant women. When the verse "That they should draw their veils over their bosoms" was revealed, they tore their thick outer garments and made veils from them. Ibn Hajar Al-Asqalanee, who is known as Ameer Al-Mu'mineen in the field of Hadith, said that the phrase, "covered themselves", in the above Hadith means that they "covered their faces". [Fath Al-Bari].

Fath al bari is a book which contains hadiths and commentary and is used alot by Ibn kathir in his Tafseer

Imaam Malik's MUWATTA Book 20 Hadith # 20.5.16
Yahya related to me from Malik from Hisham ibn Urwa that Fatima bint al-Mundhir (Radhiallaahu Ánha) said, "We used to veil our faces when we were in Ihram in the company of Asma bint Abi Bakr As-Siddiq (Radhiallaahu Ánha). "This again proves that not only the wives of Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) wore the Niqaab and that even though in Ihram women are not supposed to wear Niqaab but if men are there they still have to cover the face

There is another hadith which strengthens this one as Aisha was reported to rip her cloth and cover her face, becasue we know a fixed niqab is not allowed on hajj

Abu Dawood Book 10, Hadith # 1829
Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin: (Radhiallaahu Ánha) who said, "The riders would pass us while we were with the Messenger of Allah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam). When they got close to us, we would draw our outer cloak from our heads over our faces. When they passed by, we would uncover our faces.
Recorded by Ahmad, Abu Dawood and Ibn Majah, Narrated 'Aisha. [In his work Jilbab al-Marah al-Muslimah, al-Albani states (p. 108) that it is hasan due to corroborating evidence. Also, in a narration from Asma {who was not the wife of Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam)}, Asma also covered her face at all times in front of men.] Shaikh Ibn Uthaimin in his tafseer of this hadith explains "This hadith indicates the compulsion of the concealing of the faces as an order of Shariah, because during the Ihram it is "wajib" (compulsory) NOT to wear the Niqaab. So if it was only mustahab (recommended) to cover the face then Aisha and Asma (Radhiallaahu Ánha) would have taken the wajib over the mustahab. It is well known by the Ullima that a wajib can only be left because of something that is also wajib or fardh. So Aisha and Asma (Radhiallaahu Ánha) covering the face even in Ihram in the presence of strange (ghairMahraam) men shows that they understood this to be an act that was wajib or fardh or they would not have covered the face in Ihraam.

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 7, Book 72, Hadith # 715
Narrated 'Ikrima (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) narrates "Rifa'a divorced his wife whereupon 'AbdurRahman bin Az-Zubair Al-Qurazi married her. 'Aisha said that the lady (came), wearing a green veil." It is a very long hadith but the point is the women of Sahaba wore the full veil.

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 1, Book 8, Hadith # 347
Narrated Um 'Atiya (Radhiallaahu Ánha) We were ordered (by Rasulullah '(Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) to bring out our menstruating women and veiled women in the religious gatherings and invocation of Muslims on the two 'Eid festivals. These menstruating women were to keep away from their Musalla. A woman asked, "O Allah's Apostle ' What about one who does not have a veil (the veil is the complete cover with only one eye or two eyes showing)?" He said, "Let her share the veil of her companion." Shaikh Ibn Uthaimin in tafseer of this hadith explained "This hadith proves that the general norm amongst the women of the Sahaba (Radhiallaahu Ánhuma) was that no woman would go out of her home without a cloak, fully concealed and if she did not posses a veil, then it was not possible for her to go out. it was for this reason that when Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) ordered them to go to the Place for Eid Salah, they mentioned this hindrance. As a result Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said that someone should lend her a veil, but did not say they could go out without it. If Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) did not allow women to go to a place like the Eid Salah, which has been ordered by Shariah for women and men alike, then how can people let women to out to market places and shopping centers without where there is open intermingling of the sexes, without a veil. (by Shaikh Ibn Uthaimin in the book "Hijaab" page # 11)

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 8, Book 76, Hadith # 572
In the end of this very long hadith it quotes Anas (Radhiallaahu Ánho) rates from Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) "and if one of the women of Paradise looked at the earth, she would fill the whole space between them (the earth and the heaven) with light, and would fill whatever is in between them, with perfume, and the veil of her face is better than the whole world and whatever is in it." This show that even the women of Junnah have veils and the word veil is what covers the face (niqaab).

Abu Dawood Book 2, Hadith # 0641
Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin (Radhiallaahu Ánha) "Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said "Allah does not accept the prayer of a woman who has reached puberty unless she wears a veil.

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 9, Book 89, Hadith # 293
Narrated 'Aisha (Radhiallaahu Ánha) Utba bin Abi Waqqas said to his brother Sa'd bin Abi Waqqas, "The son of the slave girl of Zam'a is from me, so take him into your custody." So in the year of Conquest of Mecca, Sa'd took him and said. (This is) my brother's son whom my brother has asked me to take into my custody." 'Abd bin Zam'a got up before him and said, (He is) my brother and the son of the slave girl of my father, and was born on my father's bed." So they both submitted their case before Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam). Sa'd said, "O Allah's Apostle! This boy is the son of my brother and he entrusted him to me." 'Abd bin Zam'a said, "This boy is my brother and the son of the slave girl of my father, and was born on the bed of my father." Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said, "The boy is for you, O 'Abd bin Zam'a!" Then Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) further said, "The child is for the owner of the bed, and the stone is for the adulterer," Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) then said to Sauda bint Zam'a, "Veil (screen) yourself before him," when he saw the child's resemblance to 'Utba. The boy did not see her again till he met Allah. note: This hadith proves Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) did infact order the veil to be observed.

Abu Dawood Book 32, hadith # 4100
Narrated Umm Salamah, Ummul Mu'minin (Radhiallaahu Ánha): I was with Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) while Maymunah was with him. Then Ibn Umm Maktum came. This happened when we were ordered to observe veil. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said: Observe veil from him. We asked: oh Rasulullah! is he not blind? He can neither see us nor recognize us. Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said: Are both of you blind? Do you not see him?

The problem with Muslims today is they think the only hadith is Bukhari and Muslim. meanwhile there are thousands of other sahih hadiths collected in other books. there are even more than 6 collections. You also im imam Ahmads Musnad which is used as evidence in tafseer and contains many sahih hadiths. You have Imam maliks book, Daraqutni, fath al bari, ibn abi Hatim, al Tabari and more. This is why you cannot just limit your resources when you search upon an issue, so now lets see what the scholars have said abotu niqab!

Ibn Jarir (Rahimahullah) with an authentic chain of narrators has quoted Ibn Abbaas' (Radhiallaahu Án) opinion was "that the Muslim women are ordered to cover their head and faces with outer garments except for one eye." (This is quoted in the Ma'riful Qur'an in the tafseer of Surah Ahzaab ayah # 33, with reference of Ibn Jarir with a sahih chain of narrators). The Tabiee Ali Bin Abu Talha explained that this was the last opinion of Ibn Abbas and the other opinions quoted from him were from before Surah Al-Ahzaab, Verse #59 and the order of the "Jalabib". Shaikh Ibn Uthaimin commented on this saying of Ibn Abbaas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) by saying "This statement is "Marfoo" and in shariah that is the same category as a hadith which is narrated directly from Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam). The quote of Ibn Abbas is quoted by many tabi'een like Ali Ibn Abu Talha and Ibn Jarir in Ma'riful Quran by Mufti Muhammad Shafi vol.7 pg.217 and also in Tafseer Ibn Jarir, Vol. 22, pg.29 and also by Imaam Qurtabi all with SAHIH Chains and explained in the book "Hijaab" by Ibn Uthaimin, Page # 9 and authenticated in the book "Hijaab wa Safur"by Shaikh-ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullah) on page #11 and by Shaikh AbdulAziz bin Bazz (Rahimahullah) on page # 55 and 60 )

Abdullah Ibn Mas'ud (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) Who was known as the most knowledgeable Sahabi in matters of Shariah. He became Muslim when he was a young kid and ever since that he stayed with Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) and gained the understanding of Quran from him. Umar Ibn Khattab (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) said about him "By Allah, I don't know of any person who is more qualified in the matters dealing with the Quran than Abdullah Ibn Mas'ud"
Explained, the word Jilbaab (as mentioned in the Quran Surah Ahzaab ayah # 59 ) means a cloak which covering the entire body including the head, face and hands. (Quoted from Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullah) in his book on fatwaas Page# 110 Vol # 2 and By Shaikh Ibn Uthamin in the book Hijaab Page # 15)

Its the opinion of Abdullab Bin Masud and Ibn Abbas to of the scholars of the sahaba radhialahu anhum that cover the face was wajib/fard

Aisha (Radhiallaahu Ánha)

Stated that in verse 30 and 31 of Surah An Nur "What has been allowed to be shown is the hands, bangles and rings but the face must be covered.
(Quoted by Shaikh Abdul A'la Maududi in the book Purdah P# 195 and in his Tafseer of Quran under the tafseer of Surah An Nur)

bu Ubaidah Salmani (Radhiallaahu Ánhu), an other well known Sahabi is quoted saying "Jilbaab should fully cover the women's body, so that nothing appears but one eye with which she can see." (Tafseer Al-Qurtubi) And In the time of Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) "The women used to don their cloaks (Jilbaabs) over their heads in such a manner that only the eyes were revealed in order to see the road." (The Book "Hijaab" page # 9)

Ubaida bin Abu Sufyan bin al-Harith('Radhiallaahu Ánhu' An' Other well known and knowledgeable Companion of Rasulullah ) Imam Muhammad bin Sirin (Rahimahullah) One of the most knowledgeable tabi'een) said "When I asked Ubaida bin Sufyan bin al-Harith ('Radhiallaahu An') how the jalbaab was to be worn, he demonstrated it to me by pulling a sheet of cloth over his head to cover his entire body, leaving the left eye uncovered. This was also the explanation of the word 'Alaihinna in this verse" (Commentary by Ibn Jarir and Ahkam-ul-Quran, Vol.3, p.457 also in "hijaab wa Safur" quoted by Shaikh AbdulAziz Bin Bazz under the chapter of his fatwaa on hijab on page #54)

Ibn Jarir (Rahimahullah) Quotes the opinion of Ibn Ábbaas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu)
"Allah has enjoined upon all Muslim Women that when they go out of their homes under necessity, they should cover their faces by drawing a part of their outer garments over their heads." (Tafseer Ibn Jarir, VOL 22, pg.29)

The Tabi'ee, Qatadah (Rahimahullah)
Stated that the Jilbab should be wrapped and fixed from above the forehead and made to cover the nose, (although the eyes are to show) and the chest and most of the face are to be covered.

The Tabi'ee Ali bin Abu Talha (Rahimahullah)
Quotes from Ibn Abbaas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) that he used to say it was allowed to show the hands and face when Surah Nur ayah #31 was revealed but after Surah Al-Ahzaab, Verse #59 with the word "Jalabib" was revealed then after this Ibn Abbaas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) said that That the Muslim women are ordered to cover their head and faces with outer garments except for one eye." And this was also the opinion of Ibn Mas'ud (Radhiallaahu Ánhu). (This is quoted by Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullah) in his book of fatwaa and by Shaikh AbdulAziz Bin Bazz (Rahimahullah) in the book "Hijaab wa Safur" Page # 60)

Imam Muhammad bin Sirin (Rahimahullah) One of the most knowledgeable tabi'een)
"When I asked Ubaida bin Sufyan bin al-Harith ('Radhiallaahu Ánhu' Other well known and knowledgeable Companion of Rasulullah) the meaning of this verse about "Alaihinna" and how the jalbaab was to be worn, he demonstrated it to me by pulling a sheet of cloth over his head to cover his entire body, leaving the left eye uncovered. This was also the explanation of the word 'Alaihinna in this verse"(Commentary by Ibn Jarir and Ahkam-ul-Quran, Vol # 3, p.457 also in "hijaab wa Sufor" quoted by Shaikh AbdulAziz Bin Bazz under the chapter of his fatwaa on hijab on page #54)

These are the opinion of Sahaba and Tabieen, Now lets see what the Mufasireen say

The Mufassir, Imaam Al-Qurtubi (Rahimahullah),
Cites in his Tafseer of the Ayah on Jilbaab (Al-Ahzab 33:59), that the Jilbaab is: "a cloth which covers the entire body... Ibn 'Abbaas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) and 'Ubaidah As-Salmaani (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) said that it is to be fully wrapped around the women's body, so that nothing appears but one eye with which she can see." (Tafseer Al-Qurtubi Surah Al-Ahzab ayah # 59. This was also agreed upon by Imam WahidiImam Neishapuri in the book of tafseer of Quran "Gharaib -ul-Quran" and "Ahkam-ul-Quran", Imam Razi, in his tafseer of Surah Azhab in the book "Tafsir-i-Kabir" Imam Baidavi in his tafseer of Quran "Tafsir-i-Baidavi" and by Abu Hayyan in "Al-Bahr-ul-Muhit" and by Ibn Sa'd Muhammad bin Ka'b Kuradhi and they have all descirbed the use of jalbaab more or less in the SAME way as the two described by Ibn Abbas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu).)

Also from Imaam Qurtubi (Rahimahullah)
in his Al-Jamia li Ahkaamul Qurãn states: "All women are in effect covered by the terms of the verse which embraces the Sharée principle that the whole of a woman is ‘Áwrah’ (to be concealed) – her face, body and voice, as mentioned previously. It is not permissible to expose those parts except in the case of need, such as the giving of evidence…" ("Al-Jamia li Ahkaamul Qurãn")

At-Tabari and Ibn Al-Mundhir
described the method of wearing the jalbaab according to Ibn Abbas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) and Qatadah (Radhiallaahu Ánhu). The sheet should be wrapped around from the top, covering the forehead, then bringing one side of the sheet to cover the face below the eyes so that most of the face and the upper body is covered. This will leave both eyes uncovered (which is allowed in necessity).(Rul-ul-Ma'ani, Vol 22, p.89)

Ibn Kathir (Rahimahullah) said...
"Women must not display any part of their beauty and charms to strangers except what cannot possibly be concealed." (Quoted by Mufti Ibrahim Desi in his article on hijaab)

Maoulana Abul A'la Maududi (Rahimahullah) In his tafseer of Surah Azhab ayah #59
"In verse 59 the third step for social reform was taken. All the Muslim women were commanded that they should come out well covered with the outer garments and covering their faces whenever they came out of their houses for a genuine need." (From Tasfeer of Quran by Maoulana Abul A'la Maududi in tafseer of ayah # 59 of Surah Al-Ahzaab)

Opinions of the 4 Imams

Mufti Anwar Ali Adam Al Mazahiri (Mufti A'azam (Head Mufti) of Madrasa Madinatil Uloom Trinidad & Tobago.)
"Imam Shafi, Malik and Hanbal hold the view that niqaab (covering the face and the hands completely with only a small area for the eyes to see) as
being compulsory (fard). Imam Abu Hanifa says that niqaab is Wajib and the face and hands can be exposed provided that there is not fear of desire if one looks at the female face, otherwise if there is the slightest chance of desire developing in the looker (the meaning of desire is that the looker would see the female face and think that she is beautiful, sexual thaught is not what is meant) then exposing the face and hands is Haraam.
(This is from the fatwaa issued by Mufti Anwar Ali Adam Al Mazahiri on 13/9/99. He derived the opnions of the 4 Imaams from these sources Tafseer Ibn Katheer, Tafseer Ma'rifatul Qur'aan, Durre Muhtaar, Fatawa Shami, Al Mabsoot, Fathul Qadeer. And the opinion of Imaam Abu hanifah is a directly derived from his statements in the Famous book of hanafi Fiqh Fatwaa Shami)

Shaikh-ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullah)
Relates that the correct opinion for the Hanbali and Malki madhaib is that is is wajib to cover everything except one or two eyes to see the way.
(from the Arabic book "Hijaab wa Safur" under the fatwaa of Ibn Taymiyyah on hijaab, page # 10)

Shaikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
Quotes All of the woman is awrah based on the hadith of "Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said “All of a woman is ‘awrah.” (Narrated by Tirmidhi with a sahih isnaad).This is the correct view according to the madhhab of the Hanbalis, one of the two views of the Maalikis and one of the two views of the Shaafa’is. (Quoted in his book of fatwaa and on his web site)

Jamiatul Ulama Junbi Africa sated that the proper opinion for the Hanafi madhab is that "A woman must be properly and thoroughly covered in a loose outer cloak which totally conceals her entire body including her face!"
(This from the book Islamic Hijab by Jamiatul Ulama P.12)

Ibn Hajar Al-Asqalanee (Rahimahullah)
A tradition reported on the authority of Aisha (Radhiallaahu Ánha) says: "A woman in a state of Ihram (during Hajj and Umrah) should stretch her head cloth over to her face to hide it." (In Fathul Bari, chapter on Hajj)

Shaikh-ul-Islam Ibn Taymiyyah (Rahimahullah) relates:
"Women used to room about without Cloaks (Jilbaabs) and men used to see their faces and hands, but when the verse stating 'O Prophet! Tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to draw their cloaks over themselves.' (Surah Al-Ahzaab,Verse #59)was reveled, then this was prohibited and women were ordered to wear the Jilbaab. Then Ibn Tayimiyyah goes on to say "The word Jilbaab means a sheet which Ibn Mas'ud (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) explained as a cloak covering the entire body including the head, face and hands. Therefore, it is not permissible for the women to reveal the face and hands in public. (Ibn Taymiyyah's book on fatwaas Page# 110 Vol # 2 also in the book Hijaab Page # 15)
seekingtawbah
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2010 06:19 AM »

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And as for women past childbearing who do not expect wedlock, it is no sin on them if they discard their (outer) clothing in such a way as not to show their adornment. But to refrain (i.e. not to discard their outer clothing) is better for them. And Allaah is All‑Hearer, All‑Knower”

[al-Noor 24:60].

Abu Bakr al-Jassaas (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: With regard to the words of Allaah, “women past childbearing who do not expect wedlock” [al-Noor 24:60], Ibn Mas’ood and Mujaahid said: Women past childbearing who do not expect wedlock are those who do not want it, and their outer garments are their jilbabs.

Then he said: There is no dispute that the hair of an elderly woman is ‘awrah and it is not permissible for a non-mahram to look at it, as is the case with the hair of a young woman. If she prays with her head uncovered, then like a young woman (in the same situation), her prayer is invalid. So it cannot be that the meaning is that she may take off her head covering in the presence of a non-mahram man. Rather it is permitted for an elderly woman to take off her outer garment in the presence of men, after she has covered her head, and it is permitted for her to uncover her face and hands, because she is not desirable. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “But to refrain (i.e. not to discard their outer clothing) is better for them” [al-Noor 24:60]. So He has permitted her to take off her jilbab, but He says that refraining by not taking off her garment before men is better for her. End quote.

Ahkaam al-Qur’aan (3/485).

Al-Sa’di (may Allaah have mercy on him) said (p. 670): 

Women who are past childbearing are those who no longer have any interest in intimacy and desire, “women past childbearing who do not expect wedlock” [al-Noor 24:60], i.e., they do not hope to get married and they are not wanted in marriage, because they have grown old and are not desirable. “it is no sin on them” i.e., there is no blame on them, “if they discard their (outer) clothing” i.e., outer garments such as the khimaar and so on, concerning which Allaah says “and to draw their veils all over Juyoobihinna (i.e. their bodies, faces, necks and bosoms)” [al-Noor 24:31]. It is permissible for these women to uncover their faces, because there is no fear of temptation. And because allowing them to take off their outer garment may be taken as meaning that they are allowed to adorn themselves, the matter is clarified by the words: “in such a way as not to show their adornment” i.e., without showing their adornment to people, by beautifying the outer garment or striking their ground with their feet so as to let people know about their hidden adornments, because the mere fact that a female is wearing adornments, even if she covers them, and even if she is not desirable, is a cause of fitnah which causes the one who looks at it to fall into sin. “But to refrain (i.e. not to discard their outer clothing) is better for them” [al-Noor 24:60]. End quote.
seekingtawbah
« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2010 06:22 AM »

i hope this helped u sis, as the ayah says u r not allowed to tae ur hiijab off, but the jilbab can be taken off according to the tafseer of the ayah. hope this answered your question
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2010 06:24 AM »

Sarah Amena, it's better if you ask your Imam these questions as we do not have any scholars on the board to answer your Fiqh questions. Sometimes the answers are very complex and depend on people's situation, condition and other factors. If we're trying to follow Islam, we should avoid online fatwas because they are very black/white and usually not written by someone who has studied the Deen extensively, not to mention will not include any other opinion variations or consideration of a person's personal condition and issues.

Seekingtawbah, as far as we know you are not a scholar. Cutting and pasting various quotes to support a certain viewpoint is not right. There is quite a difference of opinion on what constitutes correct Islamic dress for Muslim women. Not all scholars agree that Niqab is Fard, not all agree that pants are Haram, not all agree that Jilbab is Fard and so on, and to say so is very irresponsible. Whenever you write an internet Fatwa, you are declaring yourself an authority in Islam, but no scholar in the world would cut and paste and write an answer like you have below to the above questions. In point of fact, you didn't even answer her question.

I suggest you read the constitution of this forum again and make sure it is one you can abide by. This isn't a Fatwa Q&A forum. Also, you say you live in Albany, I suggest you attend some Islamic classes locally with scholars. This will help you understand the difference opinions, viewpoints and wisdoms in Islam.

jazaks, ws
seekingtawbah
« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2010 06:28 AM »

this i8s textual eveidence from classical books of the tafseer of qurtubi who was a Tabi and Ibn Kathir and the opinions of the prophets companions. who are u to sound so harsh against another muslim. I just gave u the opinion of every well known scholar of this deen. u can take that evidence or leave it. Allah guides who he wills, and please treat ur brothers and sister with mroe respect and have better adab jazkhallah khair
seekingtawbah
« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2010 06:32 AM »

a women wearing pants is haram jilbab is fard, i dont expect someone who said music is allowed to understand the tafseer of quran, im just not going to come on this forum again. esp with muslims like you who say there is a difference of opinion on every topic, u sound like a modern muslim who changes his religioon with time, and this is a muslim forum and she is not allowed to  ask a islamic question? are u insane, then what is the point of this, to free mix and talk to the opposite sex, astagfirullah im done with this. you are the one who needs to go learn from the scholars of ur area. ur site is a joke, salaam alaikum
Sarah Amena
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Sarah Amena has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2010 04:09 AM »

Salam Alaikum,

I sincerely apologize that my question caused this type of disconnect.

I appreciate your effort seekingtawbah, in guiding me to the best of your ability. 

Sister Jannah,
Thank you for the advice, I will be try and seek out an Imam to ask this question.  We don't have a local Imam in our area and therefore I tend to ask questions on this forum but I can also understand how these questions could cause misunderstandings, I apologize.
I am only asking because of my Tata, she was a hijabi for many years and ended up taking it off in her early fifties... I was just curious and wanting to see how to try and guide her because I want the best for her in the dunya and the hereafter.
Jazak Allah Khair,

Amena
Ilyas
Bro

Reputation Power: 2
Ilyas has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2010 02:11 PM »

Walaikum Asalam,

Here is a link to a similar question and its answers at sunnipath.com.

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=7&ID=7123&CATE=24

hope this helps. You can read more answers by searching niqab on that site.

Assalamu Alaikum
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: