// Name and Marriage
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Come work for Islam. The work is hard, the hours are long and the pay is low.But the retirement benefits are out of this world." -Anonymous
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Name and Marriage  (Read 1595 times)
Sarah Amena
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Sarah Amena has no influence :(

« on: Sep 12, 2010 05:14 PM »

Salam Alaikum,

Can a Muslim woman hyphenate her name after marriage? I am going back to my maiden name next week InshAllah and I was wondering if I could hyphenate the name or would it be better to just remove his name in entirety?

Jazak Allah Khair,

Amena
seekingtawbah
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2010 05:52 AM »

sis women are not suppose to change there last anmes to begin with when they get married in islam. This is not a common thing and it is so people can trace there ancestory back. esp for arabs who have deep historic ancestory changing ur last name is not something u do, so next time just keep ur name
Sarah Amena
Sis

Sarah Amena has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2010 06:02 AM »

Salam Alaikum Brother seekingtawbah,

Thanks for the response  Wink  Alhamdullah, I am still married to the same man, I am only wanting to correct  a mistake that I made when we got married, hence taking his name. Since I have been using his name for the last 3 years,  I was only questioning whether it would be ok for me to hyphenate it or just get rid of it.... I am leaning towards getting rid of it all together but just seeing if I even have an option...

Jazak Allah Khair,

Amena
Ilyas
Bro

Reputation Power: 2
Ilyas has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Sep 13, 2010 08:02 PM »

sis women are not suppose to change there last anmes to begin with when they get married in islam. This is not a common thing and it is so people can trace there ancestory back. esp for arabs who have deep historic ancestory changing ur last name is not something u do, so next time just keep ur name

Asalam Alaikum,

Do you have any proof for this? Does anyone have any proof to support this? This is a genuine question because as far as my knowledge goes, this is a cultural act rather than religious.

Assalamu Alaikum
Nafs
« Reply #4 on: Sep 13, 2010 08:18 PM »

If I am not mistaken, someone had made a thread on this board, it might be in the archives ... and it might have been me who made the thread, in regards to name change....

and the reply was something similar to what seeking tawbah has stated. I am having a little trouble searching, but if I come across it I'll share InshaAllah (if anyone cares :| ).
syid
Bro

Reputation Power: 0
syid has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2010 04:37 PM »

Do Not Change the Last Name

It's important to note that you must not change your family name (your last name).

The Qur'an says,

"Call them by (the names of) their father's, that is more just in the sight of Allah..." (Al-Ahzab 33:5)

And the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) emphasized this by saying,

"He who knowingly attributed his fatherhood to someone other than his real father will be excluded from paradise." (Bukhari, Muslim, Abu Dawood)

This applies equally to converts and to women who are marrying, since assuming the husband's name upon marriage is not an Islamic custom.

See this article on Zawaj.com for more information about the Islamic naming system in general:

LIVE YOUR LIFE FOR THE SAKE OF ALLAH:
IF IT'S NOT FOR THE SAKE OF ALLAH IS IT EVEN WORTH DOING?
Christine_1208
Sis

Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2010 07:16 PM »

Very interesting.

I did change my name to my husbands. In America it is common. Being my last name was Dell (ex-husband) I was very happy to change it to my current husband. Before that my last name was that of my step father who legally adopted me at age 9; it was even changed on my birth certificate Shocked I am not sure how I feel about not having my husbands name. I actually love it. I guess because normally, if a mother has a different name than the child, some just automatically think you are not married or the child is out of wedlock (In this society). Allah is all knowing, he knows who my father is, I know who my father is. Maybe I just don't understand the big deal.

Tidbit: In ancient times some used to follow Matrilineality (mothers lineage). The reason for this was you always knew who the mother was but could not guarantee who the father was. Can you imagine that! OMG.

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
Ilyas
Bro

Reputation Power: 2
Ilyas has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2010 05:30 PM »

If I am not mistaken, someone had made a thread on this board, it might be in the archives ... and it might have been me who made the thread, in regards to name change....

and the reply was something similar to what seeking tawbah has stated. I am having a little trouble searching, but if I come across it I'll share InshaAllah (if anyone cares :| ).

Thank you sis for the reply and thank you brother Syid for the references.

Assalamu Alaikum
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: