// First Look Inside the Proposed Islamic Center
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: We have it. The smoking gun. The evidence. The potential weapon of mass destruction we have been looking for as our pretext of invading Iraq. There’s just one problem - it’s in North Korea. - Jon Stewart
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First Look Inside the Proposed Islamic Center  (Read 896 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Oct 04, 2010 04:35 AM »

Whoaaaaaaaaaaa very futuristic looking.......

====================

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/03/nyregion/03muslim.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss

Visitors to the upper floors of the Muslim community center planned for near ground zero would walk through lofty spaces — for art exhibitions, for contemplation and prayer, for programs on interreligious dialogue, for a 9/11 memorial — as sunlight streams through irregularly shaped windows between white crisscrossing beams.

The building would be clad in a lattice of starlike shapes that echo traditional Islamic designs in the Middle East.

According to the rough plans, the upper floors would include space for art exhibitions and interfaith programs. There would also be a 9/11 memorial and a space open to people of “all faiths and of no faith” for prayer, contemplation and meditation.

That is the image presented in the tentative architectural renderings that the planners of the center, called Park51, have been showing at community meetings in recent weeks, and which were revealed to the wider public for the first time last week.

A sketch of the façade shows a latticework of white starlike designs, echoing patterns that can be seen in Islamic architecture and decorative tiles across the Middle East.

The design was meant to show “hints of tradition,” while the use of modern materials and glass panels would give an impression of translucence and “moving toward the future,” Sharif el-Gamal, the project’s developer, said in an interview last week.

The planners have not begun to raise the $140 million needed for construction or hired an architect.

An image of the façade has been in circulation since early this year, but last week the planners revealed renderings of how some interior spaces might look and how the center’s many amenities — including a restaurant, theater, day care center, gym and pool — might be stacked in a building of up to 15 stories.

There would also be a 9/11 memorial and a space open to people of “all faiths and of no faith” for prayer, contemplation and meditation, Mr. Gamal said.

The space for Muslims would be in the basement. Technically, it would be a prayer hall known as a musalla, because its construction would not meet rules required to sanctify a mosque.

Muslims who worship in a musalla often refer to it as a mosque or masjid. Some opponents say it is inappropriate to have a mosque near ground zero.

BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2010 12:13 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Interesting design, I wonder if they will get approval because it does seem a tad out of place from the surrounding buildings.

The space for Muslims would be in the basement. Technically, it would be a prayer hall known as a musalla, because its construction would not meet rules required to sanctify a mosque

It also seems a shame that the main purpose of the building is actually below ground.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Ilyas
Bro

Reputation Power: 2
Ilyas has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2010 11:55 AM »

Asalam Alaikum,

Very futuristic looking indeed. I hope the glass floor is not going to be in the final plans.

Assalamu Alaikum
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2010 08:24 AM »

salam

Glass floors will leave them wide open to litigation wuldn't it?

Picture it if you will, a woman, any woman wearing a skirt....and expensive lawyers..... No glass floors/ceilings are best left out of it!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Ilyas
Bro

Reputation Power: 2
Ilyas has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Oct 09, 2010 06:31 PM »

Asalam Alaikum,

Looking at it closer, it looks like they're just opening in the ceiling/floor with glass perimeter, still a bad idea in my opinion. Brother Khalid you make a good point, I think they're trying too hard.

Assalamu Alaikum
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: