Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ramadan Road Trip: Muslim Men Try To Break Their Fast In 30 States In 30 Days  (Read 2262 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2785

I heart the Madina

« on: Aug 15, 2010 05:33 AM »

Ramadan Road Trip: Muslim Men Try To Break Their Fast In 30 States In 30 Days
Religion News Service

NEW YORK (RNS) Two young Muslims are hitting the road for Ramadan, determined to acquire a broad--and speedy--picture of American Islam by breaking the holy month's daily fast in a different state each evening.

Aman Ali, 25, and Bassam Tariq, 23, are extending their Ramadan experience from last year, when they visited a different New York City mosque each night for the traditional iftar dinner to break the daily fast and blogged about it at http://www.30mosques.com.

Ali and Tariq started the trip on Aug. 12 at Harlem's Mosque of Islamic Brotherhood, then headed the next day for Augusta, Maine, planning to swing down the East Coast, across the southern U.S. to Los Angeles, then north and east, ending on Sept. 10 in Dearborn, Mich.

The pair plans to spend from two to eight hours driving each day, Ali said.

Last year's blog attracted international interest from people fascinated with the variety of New York's Muslim life. This year, the two men considered visiting "30 mosques in 30 countries," but realized such a trip would be "a logistical nightmare," Ali said. "So we said, 'Let's do 30 states,"' he said. They raised $6,000 for expenses, booked time off from work and made dozens of phone calls.

They plan to visit a mosque in Philadelphia where the imam was born and raised in Scotland; a Los Angeles mosque that welcomes refugees from China; and one of the nation's largest Muslim communities in Dearborn.

Even as a proposed Islamic community center in lower Manhattan near ground zero generates controversy, Ali said the trip is "an adventure," not a political exercise.

"We build a sense of solidarity," he said, adding that they won't be spending a dime on motels, since they've been offered accommodation at each stop. The Ramadan pilgrimages, Ali said, have caused him to realize "how much I love the (Muslim) community."

Halima
Sis

Reps: 397

« Reply #1 on: Aug 15, 2010 07:01 AM »

Wow! Must be very exciting.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira

Nafs
« Reply #2 on: Aug 15, 2010 11:07 AM »

Wow this is amazing! I wonder how their trips going, I didn't see a link to anything. (found it  Embarrassed)

May Allah tala protect them on this journey InshaAllah ( I had read 50 states at first lol).

Marcie
Sis

Reps: 30

« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2010 07:03 PM »

As salamu alaykum,

This is the blog of two Muslim brothers, who are traveling around the US during Ramadan.

http://30mosques.com/

Was salam,
Marcie

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2010 06:05 AM »

They have a 3 part photo essay on time.com. It's really fantastic mashaAllah  shaykh shaykh

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,2015518,00.html

rahma
Sis

Reps: 739

« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2010 02:53 PM »

Assalaamu Alaykum, all.

I just tried to click on http://30mosques.com and got "Reported Attack Page".  What gives?  I really wanted to see it. Did they actually make it to all 30 states?

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2010 03:28 PM »

ws, It gave this error Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '<' in /home/zaynabtv/public_html/30_mosques/wp-includes/default-widgets.php on line 1162  Sad

Hopefully they can fix it. In the meantime, read the Time photoessay, it's really well done and has beautiful pictures accompanying.

Ikramuddin
Bro

Reps: 20

« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2010 01:50 AM »

Salam,

From what I last read (yesterday afternoon), their page had been hacked and they were working on getting it back up. I'd been following their fantastic journey all Ramadhan Smiley And yeah they did make it to all 30 States, Alhumdulilah...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: