// Lack of focus?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "I desire Allah to give me an everlasting life in this world, in order that, while mankind are engrossed in the pleasures of the world and forget Allah, I may observe the rules of religion amidst the affliction (fitnah) of the world and remember Allah." - Ibrahim Khawwas
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lack of focus?  (Read 1364 times)
Anonymous
Bro

Reputation Power: 22
Anonymous barely matters :(Anonymous barely matters :(

ANONYMOUS Post

« on: Sep 16, 2010 01:59 PM »

As salaamu alaikum.

I've been a muslim for about a year now and I've been trying to keep up with my prayers but sometimes it gets very hard. I feel bad because my mind wanders a lot while I'm praying. If I focus on the words I'm saying, I forget how many rakas I've done. If I focus on staying focused, I start thinking about facts about Islam or hadith that I've read. It's really getting bad. Sometimes I just feel like the prayers are too long for me to maintain focus and that can deter me from praying if I have accidentally missed a prayer or have missed one because of work or something. Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone else have any tips for overcoming this?

Thanks in advance. As salaamu alaikum.

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2010 07:53 PM »

salam

Do you have a masjid near you, I find praying in congregation helps a lot Inshallah.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
tahirah
Sis

Reputation Power: 19
tahirah has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2010 02:52 AM »

Salaam,

My suggestion is, first, make dua and ask Allah to remove your inability to focus and make the khushoo easy for you. Second, if you find that your mind is always wandering in general and not just in salah, you may want to investigate wether or not this is a medical problem. Maybe you have unresolved stressers in your life that are making it difficult to focus or sleep, etc. or are causing anxiety or depression. You may be eating foods (caffiene, chemically processed foods) that your body is sensitive to. Or you may have ADD. A lot of people find out as adults that they have had ADD their whole lives, but have been able to cope extremely well until a certain point. If that is the case, there are dietary and lifestyle changes that can help, in addition to the medication that is out there. I would caution, however, to be sure you find out the potential side effects of whatever medication you consider taking, as some of them can be really dangerous.

Allah is aware of your situation and He rewards us for sincerely struggling to worship Him. So patiently perservere.

tahirah
seekingtawbah
« Reply #3 on: Sep 17, 2010 03:57 AM »

You are not alone in not being able to concentrate in salah. there is a whole ummah that does not perform salah correctly and those that do struggle to have khushoo. There is a book written by Muhammad salih al Munajjid called 33 ways of developign khushoo. Its a nice short 80 page book on how to focus. Basically in a breakdown is one, you must learn the salah of the prophet salla alayi wa salaam. If you read the books of hadith on salah, and then study the 4 imams on how to do salah, you will realize most muslims do not perform it how they are suppose to. Imam Ahmad bin hanbal has a short writing about 29 pages on how salah is performed according to the prophet salla alayi wa salam It is called the treatise on prayer. can be found on kalamullah.com. just go under the the worship category on the left side.  Also there is another book on there by Ibn rajab al hanbali on khushoo.also people hasten to finish the salah, they have no love for it, 4 or 5 mins they finish there 4 rakahs and then they think Allah will accept it. the scholars have gone and said khushoo is an obligation in salah in order to have your prayer accepted. Take time doing wudhu. take time  to recite the call to prayer before salah. Pray the sunnah prayers, because that wil lhelp you focus and get you ready for ur fard salah. learn more surahs. If you say the same 2 surahs every salah because thats all you know, salah will become boring for you. learn more surahs, the surahs in 100-114 you can learn in 20 mins by heart.  Also sit down before you pray, focus on Allah, recognize the power Allah has and his might. read some quran for 10 mins before your salah, or read the surahs that you want to read in salah. So if you dont know arabic, you can have a general idea what you are reciting when you recite those surahs.  hear is a lecture by yaser birjas on how to develop khushoo. So if you really want to focus read those books on those links and listen to this.

http://kalamullah.com/worship.html
Christine_1208
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2010 05:02 PM »

Assalam alaikom sis.

I am a revert too. About 20 months ago I reverted.

Salat is difficult at times. My mind wonders too. I don't understand Arabic so this makes it worse sometimes. Do you do your prayers in Arabic or English?

When I was having trouble with making prayers. Someone told me to always try and stay in wudo. This removes a step that might be keeping you from salat. After I use the restroom, I do my wudo. Then if it is time to pray just go. If you can't get away from your desk. Pray there. You can pray using just your eyes. The point is you are making the effort to get into the habit. If you make yourself stop through out the day, even if it is at your desk. You will start to get accustom to that. Baby steps.

As a revert, I know the power of thinking about Islam and the hadiths and everything in between. This is natural! Just try to remind yourself when you do pray you are between the hands of Allah.

One other thing that helps. A prayer buddy! Someone to text you, email or call and say.. HEY GO PRAY! My friend Jimilia and I did this for Fajr. Neither of us were married at the time and we were skipping this prayer till later, which then makes it harder to make the other prayers.. not sure why, maybe laziness. Anyway when we started doing this every morning it started to be habit and it REALLY helped!

If you need a text or call. I'll help, no problem. Now you are running out of excuses Wink

Hugs, Christine

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
skhansj
Bro

Reputation Power: 1
skhansj has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2010 01:45 AM »

Good advice on staying in wudu. That made a huge difference for me when I was trying to get to 5 prayers a day.

I thought that it was because it removed one step between you and prayers. Later on, I realized that being in wudu weakens the impact of the shaitaan on you.

peace
Sis

Reputation Power: 21
peace barely matters :(peace barely matters :(

« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2010 11:59 AM »

Good advice on staying in wudu. That made a huge difference for me when I was trying to get to 5 prayers a day.

I thought that it was because it removed one step between you and prayers. Later on, I realized that being in wudu weakens the impact of the shaitaan on you.

Yup! I was wondering since a few days if this should help me maintain my regularity because a step less is quiet motivating....you just spread the Rug and get going..... madinaflag
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2010 01:29 PM »

I don't remember the exact reference but there is a hadith which says if you concentrate while doing the wudu,it will be easier to concentrate during salah.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: