Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

A dua on both your houses.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The board helps with Facebook addiction  (Read 2333 times)
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« on: Sep 16, 2010 03:09 PM »

Okay I know this sounds crazy but after becoming active here,my obsession with Facebook seems to have diminished Cheesy..has anyone else experienced this before?

PS-I wonder what "reps" stands for? And how do you increase/decrease your reps?
PSS-What should I do if I have to post anonymously?
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2010 03:16 PM »

Bhai-jaan  Smiley

1. I quit the Facebook about 4 years ago, so I don't have that issue, but I think the Madina is waaaaaaaay cooler than FB.

2. Rep - stands for reputation. When people agree with your post, they can click it or the opposite if they disagree. We have a thread on this in the FAQ section. Oops, I said "we" as if I am part of the Admin team  Tongue

3. You'll have to ask Sis Jannah or someone else more experience about the anonymous posts.

Theek hai bhai, mey chaltha hoon . . .  Grin

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2010 03:17 PM »

FAQs ppl!!! We write them for a reason. Check that board out iA! And yes... I wish I could make everyone join here so we could all quit FB finally. BTW what FB features do u like the best maybe we could add some mods to add the functionality.
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2010 03:43 PM »

Bhai-jaan  Smiley

1. I quit the Facebook about 4 years ago, so I don't have that issue, but I think the Madina is waaaaaaaay cooler than FB.

2. Rep - stands for reputation. When people agree with your post, they can click it or the opposite if they disagree. We have a thread on this in the FAQ section. Oops, I said "we" as if I am part of the Admin team  Tongue

3. You'll have to ask Sis Jannah or someone else more experience about the anonymous posts.

Theek hai bhai, mey chaltha hoon . . .  Grin

BABA
 desibro

Mereku bhaijaan bolne ki zarurat nai hai..mai aapse chota hu Smiley still a 20 year old nutjob Tongue and that's why I am messing up the board today Cheesy

FAQs ppl!!! We write them for a reason. Check that board out iA! And yes... I wish I could make everyone join here so we could all quit FB finally. BTW what FB features do u like the best maybe we could add some mods to add the functionality.

Oh I am sorry,I didn't know there was an FAQ thread Cheesy Forgive the newbie Sad
Nonetheless,today was the best time I had on the Madina till date..messing up everything Cheesy

The only good thing Facebook has is it helps bring out the mischievous side in you with the stupid comments people make about each other and pokes and stuff.Its just something to joke around with.
Madina is waaayyy too serious to bring that in here.
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2010 07:48 PM »

salam

As the oldest one here oldshaykh, you may all address me as Daadi Amma....... I thank you!

I really like this emoticon oldshaykh oldshaykh oldshaykh oldshaykh (it looks nothing like me)

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2010 07:50 PM »

lol what does that make me Fozia??  Cheesy do they have a word for great great grandma?? flowersis

salam

As the oldest one here oldshaykh, you may all address me as Daadi Amma....... I thank you!

I really like this emoticon oldshaykh oldshaykh oldshaykh oldshaykh (it looks nothing like me)

Wassalaam
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Sep 17, 2010 03:18 AM »

I like the like button on fb, you should add it here
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2010 05:58 AM »

Hey, great-great grandma, too - moi, of course!

Hmmm... how about preserving the uniqueness that is jannah.org or themadina.com?

Bro WCoastbaba, I like your profile pic here: Jesus & Mohammed - brothers in faith - indeed!

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« Reply #8 on: Sep 17, 2010 06:28 AM »

Salaams,

This is internet, for all we know you might as well be a paan-spitting uncle. Who knows whats sitting behind that screen.

And I could be a big fat dude, sitting on sofa all day with my notebook placed on my belleh, and noodles hangin w/ ma beard.

The only good thing Facebook has is it helps bring out the mischievous side in you with the stupid comments people make about each other and pokes and stuff.Its just something to joke around with.
Madina is waaayyy too serious to bring that in here.

Its totally the opposite for me! I have many new friends, ex/present colleagues et al on FB, these people only know the present-day me, hence I can't go all out in front of them. Had it been only my friends from high-school or college, I would have rocked FB. But as things stand now, I have to remain constrained and only crack jokes occasionally.

Speaking of reps, I had like a million +ve reps at the other forum. We used to have diss-fests and flame-wars there, and for a change my target there used to be male XBCDs. These madinite's just dont appreciate my talent anymore, or perhaps they are jealous of the coolness that is me. Haters!

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #9 on: Sep 17, 2010 07:41 AM »

Bro WCoastbaba, I like your profile pic here: Jesus & Mohammed - brothers in faith - indeed!

Thanks, you are the second person to say that since I changed it.

I'm still glad that I left FB despite any advantages. I was actually addicted, so it was a relief and that was probably when there were even less things to do on FB than there is now.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Ilyas
Bro

Reputation Power: 2
Ilyas has no influence :(

« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2010 05:18 PM »

Asalam Alaikum,

When I first got a facebook, the only reason I wanted one was so I can keep in touch with friends and family better. Then I found all the cool stuff and people started posting pictures and blogs and there were debates and well it got addicting. So I deleted a lot of my contacts, the ones I don't talk to, in hopes that I could just keep it to keep in touch with family and friends. Even that didn't happen though. Being in touch through facebook wasn't the same, the happiness you feel when you talk to your loved ones isn't there on facebook. At times it even made me sad seeing parts of their lives that I wouldn't approve of or want to know about. So I deleted my account completely.

I agree with you guys, madina is much cooler than facebook. Jannah sis please keep the uniqueness of madina! The like or dislike button for posts, it's up to you guys, but I feel that when we have serious discussions, seeing how people voted on a post will only create discrimination between the posts. Just a thought.

Assalamu Alaikum
Ilyas
Bro

Reputation Power: 2
Ilyas has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: Sep 19, 2010 12:24 AM »

You're right brother, I was just talking about my own experience with facebook.

Assalamu Alaikum
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #12 on: Sep 20, 2010 01:50 PM »

Facebook to me can be overwhelming at times. Knowing what everyones doing all the time, all the articles and events, weddings, births, vacations, graduations, islamic causes, articles, issues. It's like standing in the town square all the time! I just want to sit on the porch sometimes! Perhaps it's less of a big deal if one only has a few select family and friends, but I don't know how to defriend ppl without them taking issue. And believe me if they can take issue they will and drama will ensue as usual. So for now I just deactivate and end up reactivating when I feel lonely again.

It's nice to preserve the Madina's "uniqueness" but I think that comes from the people, not the technology. Like if you look at some of the past boards they're so antiquated now no one would want to use them! And over the years many many people have left to greener pastures. Message boards in general are on their way out probably, it's all about social networking now, but if we can incorporate some of those friendy/likey/fb elements we can perhaps keep some ppl here.

akhan
Bro

« Reply #13 on: Sep 20, 2010 04:25 PM »

It's nice to preserve the Madina's "uniqueness" but I think that comes from the people, not the technology. Like if you look at some of the past boards they're so antiquated now no one would want to use them! And over the years many many people have left to greener pastures. Message boards in general are on their way out probably, it's all about social networking now, but if we can incorporate some of those friendy/likey/fb elements we can perhaps keep some ppl here.

Aw c'mon Sr.Jannah,message boards are much better than social networking sites,at least that's how I feel.And probably I am right coz the wall on facebook is quite similar plus they also have discussion boards on groups and fan pages.The very fact that facebook stuck with it proves that these boards haven't yet transformed into an antiquity.Moreover,like I said earlier,I was addicted to facebook but now I am hooked on to the Madina and that is proof enough that it rocks!
Coming to people moving to greener pastures,they will come back when the grass browns up over there (like it is happening with the economy).
So,don't lose hope and keep up the good work Smiley
Cheers!
Halima
Sis

Reputation Power: 39
Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)Halima is working their way up :)

« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2010 05:15 PM »

Facebook to me can be overwhelming at times. Knowing what everyones doing all the time, all the articles and events, weddings, births, vacations, graduations, islamic causes, articles, issues. It's like standing in the town square all the time! I just want to sit on the porch sometimes! Perhaps it's less of a big deal if one only has a few select family and friends, but I don't know how to defriend ppl without them taking issue. And believe me if they can take issue they will and drama will ensue as usual. So for now I just deactivate and end up reactivating when I feel lonely again.

Facebook is a 'jungle'. Sometimes, it overwhelms me yet I am still there. I have learned to use it in moderation, not let it rule my life, i.e. I sometimes don't log into it for two days or more, meaning I am not worried if I miss something on it. I can still catch up with what friends and family are up to.

As for the Madina, some of us I have stuck here no matter the changes that the board has gone through over the years - change of format, name, re-registering, etc. There are millions of sites out there, social or otherwise, yet I still gravitate back to the Madina. Plus, unlike FB, many of the people I have known here - past and present, are like family to me even though not a single person of my family is a member of this board. I sometimes find myself wondering what happened to members who are no longer here, whether they are OK, so on.

So, until you choose to close it for good, I will be here if I am still alive, INSHA-ALLAH, regardless of how often I login or browse without logging in.

The Almighty Allah says,

"When a servant thinks of Me, I am near.
When he invokes Me, I am with him.
If he reflects on Me in secret, I reply in secret,
And if he acknowledges Me in an assembly,
I acknowledge him in a far superior assembly."

- Prophet Muhammad (SAW), as reptd by Abu Huraira
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: