// Disney lets Muslim employee wear scarf
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "I think we need a Muslim stillness rather than a Muslim movement"-Shaykh Hamza Yusuf
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disney lets Muslim employee wear scarf  (Read 1105 times)
tahirah
Sis

Reputation Power: 19
tahirah has no influence :(

« on: Sep 28, 2010 12:05 AM »

Disney, Muslim worker agree on scarf substitute
AP

ANAHEIM, Calif. – Disney is allowing a Muslim employee at its Southern California park to wear a specially designed headscarf after initially objecting to her religious head covering.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations said Monday that 22-year-old Noor Abdallah was told she couldn't wear the hijab while working as a vacation planner at a Disneyland Resort Esplanade ticket booth. She declined to take another job away from the public.

Disneyland spokeswoman Suzi Brown says the park worked with Abdallah to design a covering to match her costume and meet her religious needs. She's been wearing a blue scarf topped with a beret since early this month.

Brown says the case is separate from that of another Muslim Disney worker who refused to accept a costume headpiece and filed a federal discrimination complaint.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100927/ap_on_en_ot/us_disney_muslim_worker
Sarah Amena
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Sarah Amena has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2010 01:26 AM »

Did anyone read the comments underneath the article? I am actually shocked! SOOOOO much hatred!
tahirah
Sis

Reputation Power: 19
tahirah has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2010 01:35 AM »

Oh, yeah. Comments under yahoo articles are almost always vehemently anti-muslim, anti-arab, and very right wing. You'll also get a few that are extreme on the other side, but very rarely do I see rational discourse.
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2010 08:16 AM »

Yes, I have to agree with Sr. tahirah - every time there is an article about Muslims on Yahoo, the comments are extremely hateful. I come to expect it now. Sometimes I want to leave a comment, but I know it will just trigger more hate.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
orangetree
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
orangetree has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2010 11:45 PM »

I'm glad they let her wear a customised head covering. 

As for the comments, they are most definitely of the nutty variety.  I think these type of ppl hoard cans of soup in their basement waiting for the hostile takeover.  They gonna be waiting a loooooooooong time...

"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth “you owe me”. Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky." Hafiz
peace
Sis

Reputation Power: 21
peace barely matters :(peace barely matters :(

« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2010 09:44 AM »

Salaam everyone.......
Yesterday I went for my childs nursery admission. The child and the parents have to undergo a competative interaction/interview here for admission in private schools. So the teacher was talking to hubby and me and it all went fine. I was wearing my hijab. The last question she asked was this:
"Looking at your dressup I feel you come from an 'ORTHODOX' family setup". Alhamdullilah I handled the question well. I explained her that I wear out of choice and that I made this choice after studying my religion. The conversation ended on a plesant note. But the points to note here are these:
1. I spoke to the teacher in flawless english which not evryone does here because english is not our mother tounge.
2. I am pursuing studies even after marriage, child etc which also few women do in our country.
The teacher ignored all of this and just looking at my covered head she conveniently casted me as 'ORTHODOX'
Ultimately it left a bitter taste in my mouth.
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #6 on: Oct 01, 2010 02:17 PM »

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: