// Celebrity culture
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: "Our liberation does not come from liberating our desires (as in the west), but our liberation comes from our enslavement to Allah." - Imam Zaid Shakir
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Celebrity culture  (Read 888 times)
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« on: Oct 03, 2010 07:11 AM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

The Brits amongst you will know Russell Brand as the comedian who left a risqué message on the voicemail of Andrew Sachs (Manuel from Fawlty Towers) which sent the BBC into mayhem.

The Americans will know him as being Katy Perry’s other half.

The rest of us may well be surprised by his opinion on the 'cult of the celebrity', the 'narrative of fame', the ‘emptiness of life’ and the pursuit of consumerism.

One quote from this interview is particular interesting:

Someone told me once that all desire is desire to be with God but in substitute form. So perhaps we can draw attention not to the shadow on the wall but to the source of light itself

Jeremy Paxman interviews Russell Brand

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/newsnight/9053238.stm

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Oct 05, 2010 06:01 PM »

Related? blog from Yusuf Islam:

Blog: The Never Ending Rainbow
by Yusuf Islam (aka Cat Stevens) on Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at 12:57pm

Scanning the TV Channels the other night I turned to a film about the 60’s. The tale was based on a family in USA, which was torn apart by the turbulent crises of the time. One son joined the Army, following his ex-Marine father's footsteps; the second son joined the peace movement marching for Civil-Rights and against the War in Vietnam; and the sister got pregnant from a 'Easy-Rider' lead singer from a unsuccessful band with no hits of their own. She left home and wandered the earth with her little boy called Rainbow.

What was striking to me was the powerful social message and musical waves of those times. How the world changed. New Genres of musical taste were being created. The fusion which was born between the new young artists of the world and socially conscious students and spiritual explorers, produced a period of unparalleled protest and radical change. And I was in there somewhere. How lucky is that?

It made me feel extremely sorry for the new generation, prisoners of today's gigantic corporate and political brand designers: Will you tell us when to live? Will you tell us when to die? Wired up to i-Pods and making virtual friends in an imbalanced world of artificial wealth and ultra-realistic poverty; where the 60's is only a page on Wikipedia.

Not that I'm one for nostalgia, but there was a spirit of brave, untamed non-conformism that produced and expanded ideas, art and music, which still stand up strong today. The message was as loud as it was clear: The Times They Are A-Changin'. True, but unfortunately war is still with us, Bob.

The question is: where and how will changes take place today in this complex, CCTV monitored and digitally encoded era? From i-Pods to i-Pads? Is there really a cause still worth marching for? Of course there is - it's called Humanity. You can find us at the end of the Rainbow - looking for it.

Yusuf
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: