Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Favorite memories of Hajj...  (Read 961 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2775

I heart the Madina

« on: Nov 07, 2010 09:47 AM »

In the chat we discussed a little about our favorite memories from Hajj. I think we had a thread like this before in the archives if anyone wants to dig. So thought we would start this thread up again to share!! Ok here goes...

-When I first went it was Umrah during Ramadan '99 and I was at the Kaba waiting for Isha/Taraweeh to start. You have to get there wayyy early to be anywhere in the courtyard. So it was just waiting and waiting for a long time. Finally the woman next to me kept looking over at me and tries to talk to me. (This is before I knew any Arabic at all). And I think she pointed to herself and said "Bahrain, Bahrain." And I was like 'Uh... America' and then she was like really excited and kept saying 'America America!!??' and she asked many times 'Abu, Muslim? Umm, Muslim?' and I was like 'yes' nodding. She was just so happy. We prayed all of Isha and Tarweeh together and then finally at the end she took up her green janemaz and kept trying to give it to me, said some happy words, gave me a hug and left. So I brought it home and I still have it and pray on it sometimes Smiley

WCoastbaba
Bro

Reps: 519

« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2010 09:54 AM »

Awww, what a sweet memory. You mentioned this sister in the chat - that's very heart-warming. My closest connection to the Two Holy Cities is probably that - when family members, upon their return, bring jan-e-namaz (spelling?) back for us, that they used at the Haraam or at the Prophet's Mosque (or just simply bought as a gift) and then we use them at home. But as I had said in the chat, really really want to go soon especially after hearing these accounts from both family and those online, etc. I guess like Br. Khalid said, just have to make intention and keep saying du'a and insha'allah, we'll get that feeling inside that it is time . . . .*sigh* . . . can't wait to hear some more memories!

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]

BrKhalid
Bro

Reps: 273

« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2010 08:58 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Gosh, so many memories, it would be difficult to choose just one!

I think over time, the mere fact that one undertakes this journey becomes memorable in its own right.

Hajj is ultimately a journey of self discovery complete with moments of pure joy as well as hardship.

The oft repeated refrain is one of 'Here I am Oh Allah and here I come'

Only when we really internalize these words do we appreciate that Hajj is in effect a 'dry run' for the ultimate journey of meeting Allah for real and not just being in His presence as on the Day of Arafat.

The goal of every Haji is to perform a Hajj Mabrur and we don our Ihram and bring to the Divine presence on the Day of Arafat something which we hope will be of pleasure to our Lord. We forget the trivial nature of the world for an instant and dedicate ourselves purely and solely for Him.

In this world, however, the journey does not end with Arafat and we have to continue to cast off Shaytan from our lives. In the Hereafter, there is no such second chance and our journey will have reached it's conclusion, whatever that may be.

Hajj, therefore, is a constant reminder of where we were, where we are and where we are going to and as with all journeys no matter what the ups and downs we may face, true success lies in      being patient in completing it and eventually reaching our final destination safely.

The day you leave Makkah for the last time, tears stream from your face as you see the Kaabah for the last time and you ask as in the words of one du'a:

Oh Allah, do not make this visit to your sacred house our last one. And if You do, then reward us with Paradise in return

Perhaps when we learn to don the ihram of our heart, we may never actually have to bid farewell ever again?

I have written way more than I had intended but would absolutely love to hear the experiences of others be it spiritual, practical or as is sometimes the case,downright funny bro

And as for those who have never been, what do you think you would most look forward to?

May Allah give us all the ability to visit His House at least once in our lives.

Wasalaam
BrKhalid

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]

Barr
Sis

Reps: 89

« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2010 12:35 AM »

Assalamualaikum

I am not sure if this is my favourite, but this automatically came to mind when I saw this thread.

Me and husband were doing Safa and Marwa. And mashaALlah, this walk was one that was physically strenuous for me (and many other people), but moreso as I was pregnant at that time. So, I was experiencing backache and so my husband made a fist and placed it at my lower back to act as counter pressure as he walked behind me.

Suddenly this really young man came by and whispered smt to my husband. My husband couldn't make out what it was and we continued doing our walk. Then he came again, and he said (to this effect)... "Don't touch her. She's not your mahram. You can't do that!"

Hmmm... I guess we don't look compatible to some people ?? Smiley

WCoastbaba
Bro

Reps: 519

« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2010 01:22 PM »

Salaam again -

As you know Br. Khalid, I am among those who have not been, so just wanted to add a bit more from what we talked about in chat. Of course, the standard thing, as both you and Sis Jannah mentioned, is the first time we set eyes on al-Kaaba - very much looking forward to that and to actually see if I have the reaction that I anticipate on having when I think about and talk about it with my mother. Two items that have further fueled the natural desire to go to Makkah are watching The Message (film) and this book http://www.amazon.com/Mecca-Blessed-Medina-Radiant-Holiest/dp/B000AKXCZA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1289221708&sr=1-1 that I purchased a few years ago on a trip to London, during a break from school here.

A short list of what I'm most looking forward to in addition to the above

1. Making Tawaaf

2. Visiting Cave of al-Hira (there is a picture in the book of some brothers next to the gave, so I would hope I would get the opportunity to do the same)

3. Jamraat - That shaytaan - ARGH!!!

4. Arafah - Goes without saying really, but I do want to be more prepared in terms o knowing du'a and being the most sincere as possible. I'd like to hear from others who have been as what they recited, etc during this climax of the Hajj. I know I could read about it, but it would be great to hear it from all of you, who at least I have a degree of acquaintance with on the site.

5. Mina - Though I have heard a lot accounts that make it seem quite difficult, I can't help to think it must be amazing to be at what would amount to be the ultimate "camp out" with brothers and sisters from all over, making the long walk, etc.

Outside of the rituals:

1. Madinah - Being at the Prophet's Mosque, really just soaking in the the amazing feeling one must feel while being in his City . .seeing the doors that guard his grave, seeing all the historic/spiritual places within the masjid (Rawdah, the special columns, etc) that Ive learned about (there is an excellent video that I posted sometime back in the 'cool YouTube videos thread that goes over many of these). There are just so many things I want to see and feel - for the lack of a better term, it's all very hyped up in my heart and I'm sure it will go beyond all my expectations from what I've been told. As you told me Sis Jannah, the yearning to return is so strong . . I just wanted to ask - is the yearning to go the first time or to return the stronger force?? I'll go against my instinct and guess it is the latter, but since I don't know that yet, I have to say this initial to desire to be Called for the first time is quite intense when I think about it.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]

JustOne
Sis

Reps: 172

« Reply #5 on: Nov 10, 2010 02:41 PM »

Salaam...
So I don't have a first memory of umrah...because we used to go a lot when I was a child. And that in itself is my favorite thing about hajj. I hear people saying how overwhelmed they'd felt when they first saw the Kaaba. I can't relate to that feeling. It's a humbling experience everytime- but it doesn't seem to be the same as other people's 'first' experience. So I'm really happy I got to feel 'overwhelmed' with my first hajj.

And another memory I have which sticks out: we were walking from Makkah to Mina and I had a terrible pain in my back... And we had to carry like two bags each full of our stuff... But I couldn't do it. So my husband was carrying 3 and I was carrying 1. It struck me that I would have to carry my own bags on the Day of J and no one would help me. It made me really scared and thus the Hajj more meaningful.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: