// OMG best discovery ever! Sense & Sensibilty Margaret a Muslimah!
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: What is this precious love and laughter Budding in our hearts? It is the glorious sound Of a soul waking up! -Hafiz
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OMG best discovery ever! Sense & Sensibilty Margaret a Muslimah!  (Read 7636 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Oct 20, 2010 09:03 AM »

I'm so excited to find out about this hehe. One of the child stars of one of my favorite Jane Austen films (she plays little Margaret Dashwood in Sense & Sensiblity 1995) converted about 6 years ago!! Amazing subhanAllah. Who would have thought..

And I just found a new video of her in the Inspired by Muhammad (s) campaign!!

MashaAllah very well spoken and good points!! Just waiting for Emma Thompson now who I think is a very inspiring woman...

A little from an article:
Myriam Francois-Cerrah found fame as a child actress in the 90's hit film Sense and Sensibility.  Now she's known for being one of a growing number of educated middle class female converts to Islam in Britain.

Francois-Cerrah says the September 11 terrorist attacks evoked the same rage in her that they did in people around world.  Subsequently, she read a book that called for the expulsion of muslims from Europe.  All of this, and the controversy that had been building around the faith, made Francois-Cerrah, a university student at the time,  delve deeply into the subject of Islam.  She says she found nothing in the faith that justifies terrorist attacks, and instead found Islam inspirational.   Ultimately, Francois-Cerrah converted.  She believes the Prophet Muhammad was a man of peace.

She says, “There were several things that were pivotal in leading to this change in me.  One was looking into the Prophet Muhammad.  I think he is one of the great misunderstood figures of history.”

Francois-Cerrah goes on.  “One of his favorite quotes was, ‘Forgive him who wrongs you.  Join him who cuts you off. Do good to him who does evil to you and speak the truth even if it be against yourself.’”

Francois-Cerrah says the radical fringe behind terror attacks doesn't represent the masses.

"Muslims as a rule, the mainstream, don't look at these actions and think oh those Muslims over there are doing that.  They think who are these crazy loons!"

jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2010 09:40 AM »

How she converted:

and part 2:

Another article...

British actress Myriam Francois-Cerrah says she was motivated to convert to Islam especially when she started looking into the life of Prophet Mohammad (PBUH).

Myriam Francois-Cerrah says, “There were several things that were pivotal in leading to this change in me. One was looking into the Prophet Muhammad [PBUH]. I think he is one of the great misunderstood figures of history.”

“My intellectual curiosity was sparked as a result of the backlash against my Muslims friends after 9/11 when I, like most people, was convinced that Islam was responsible for this atrocity. I wanted to understand why my friends would remain part of such a faith.“

“When I began looking into the faith, I realised how antithetical those terrorist actions are to the core message of Islam which enjoins peace, moderation and fairness. I then began to realise what was actually behind 9/11 was the distorted ideology of some political extremists, using Islam as a veneer to justify their actions.”

“Islam is about always having balance and I think the prophet’s (PBUH) message was fundamentally about having balance and equilibrium in all that we do.”

“The prophet’s message was always that you repel bad with good that you always respond to evil with good and always remember that god loves justice so even when people are committing serious injustices against you, you have a moral responsibility and a moral obligation in front of god to always appall justice and never yourself transgress those limits.”

She quotes a few favourite quotes by Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) such as ‘Forgive him who wrongs you. Join him who cuts you off. Do good to him who does evil to you and speak the truth even if it be against yourself.’”

“Islam’s beauty really becomes to its own when it becomes manifest and it becomes manifest when you make it into a tool for the betterment of society, human kind and the world.”

“The ideal from an Islamic perspective is for ethics to become lived ethics to become an applied body of values and not remain unfortunately as it often is cloistered in the mosque of somewhere which is some more divorced from reality.”

Myriam Francois-Cerrah became popular when she was a child for acting in the 90′s hit film ‘Sense and Sensibility.’ Now she is gaining more popularity for being one of a growing number of educated middle class female converts to Islam in Britain.
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2010 12:25 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

She does come across as being very articulate and very interesting to hear her views on the current state of Islam in a political context.

Is it me or does she sound exactly the same as she did in the film?

MashaAllah, it just goes to show Allah guides whom he wills.

I now wonder what Hugh Grant or Alan Rickman would sound like as Muslims? Wink

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2010 01:06 PM »

salam

Both Rickman and Grant are public school boys aren't they?

I'd imagine they would sound exactly as they do on the screen....

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2010 01:46 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

Both Rickman and Grant are public school boys aren't they?

I'd imagine they would sound exactly as they do on the screen....

True but if Hugh Grant, in particular, became a Muslim I wonder if he would stop playing his archetypal, stiff upper lip, English buffoon and actually grow a backbone Wink

On a more serious note, the story does show the sometimes hidden impact that 9/11 and 7/7 has had on people’s lives.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
tahirah
Sis

Reputation Power: 19
tahirah has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2010 02:24 PM »

Awesome!!!!!!!  Very cool find, Jannah  Grin
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2010 07:34 PM »

ws,

I'd love to be her friend if I lived in England! I'd totally try to stalk her in the mosque over there if I were you fozia Smiley

High Grant... has a number of issues... remember his arrest (found with a prostitute?) back in LA around the time they were filming this... a troubled soul. Fame and money can easily mess ppl up. Alan Rickman I don't know much about. But I do love Emma Thompson!!  She seems very educated, dedicated, and pluralistic, but doubt if she has any Muslim friends. It's interesting that in this case it was Emilie's Muslim friends that started her off on her journey. Sad that I don't have too many non-Muslim friends nowadays too Sad
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2010 04:20 PM »

salam

Now I'm wondering which mosque she goes too Roll Eyes

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2010 03:40 PM »

1. This is such a cool find! Ma'sha'allah, Yes, she is well-spoken (she is a propa' English ladey, hehe). Sis Jannah - I'm so happy for you!!! Wink

I'd love to be her friend if I lived in England! I'd totally try to stalk her in the mosque over there if I were you fozia

LOL, Sis J - I know YOU would definitely stalk her if you were there and Sr. Fozia, hope you find her!  Smiley

I loved the interview and I think I agree with her view of what needs to be done for the most part. It is TRULY amazing each time I see these stories - many of us have been blessed by being born into a Muslim family and yet, I know at least I am guilty of not living it well enough. It wakes me up everytime when I see these stories, I that I should do a better job, so that others can see (or at least get a hint) of why men and of course so many women are converting to Islam.

Again, so very awesome - yup, one of the most awesomest discoveries ever - now only if we could get her fellow Sense and  actress Kate Winslet *sigh*  Embarrassed

Oh and lastly, I love that "Inspired" series, lots of great stories/accounts there.

As a guy, can I just say her outfit/hijab, from an aesthetic point of view - it rocks!

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
muslima86
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
muslima86 has no influence :(

be careful of the du'as of the Muslim you mistreat

« Reply #9 on: Mar 15, 2011 07:42 PM »

I didn't know that Smiley Thank you for sharing, sister-in-Islam Smiley

سبحان الله و بحمده
مئة مرة في اليوم

say 'SubhanAllah wa Bihamdih' and 'AstaghfurAllah' 100 times everyday
orangetree
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
orangetree has no influence :(

« Reply #10 on: Sep 10, 2011 01:17 PM »

I caught the World service purely by chance today and they had a show called 'Muslim White Female'.  The details are:

After 9/11, many Muslims in Britain experienced an upsurge of suspicion and hostility from people around them.
At the same time, paradoxically perhaps, the number of white converts to Islam began to rise.
In Britain, it has doubled in the last ten years – and nearly two-thirds of those who embraced Islam during that time are women.
Miriam O’Reilly meets three of them:
Lauren Booth, a journalist, single mother, and sister-in-law to Britain's former Prime Minister, Tony Blair;
Myriam Francois Cerrah, a successful child actress who appeared in Sense and Sensibility, alongside Emma Thompson and gave up her dreams of Hollywood when she embraced Islam;
and Fatiha Iman, who grew up in a family wary of Islam and is now trying to mediate between her English family and her Pakistani fiance.
Miriam explores what drew them to a faith that exposed them to hostility after 9/11, and - in the eyes of their non-Muslim sisters – has forced them to give up much of their personal freedom.

It was a really interesting programme.  The linkage is here for anyone wanting to http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00jy6cc#related-links.

"Even after all this time, the sun never says to the earth “you owe me”. Look what happens with a love like that, it lights the whole sky." Hafiz
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2011 04:49 AM »

Found her on Twitter!

@MFrancoisCerrah

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: