// Regarding superstitions?
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: To admonish your brother in private is to advise him and improve him. But to admonish him publicly is to disgrace and shame him. - Imam Shafi (rahimullah)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Regarding superstitions?  (Read 890 times)
Anonymous
Bro

Reputation Power: 22
Anonymous barely matters :(Anonymous barely matters :(

ANONYMOUS Post

« on: Oct 22, 2010 09:46 AM »

Assalam,

I have an infant daughter and my mother in law bought her a bracelet that has the evil eye on it. The evil eye is supposed to "protect" whoever wears it from people jinxing them I think. My mother in law keeps insisting that I put on the bracelet whenever I take my daughter out.

I could have sworn that this is haram. Isn't it haram to believe in superstition?  Also, the bracelet is not going to protect her from people saying bad things about my daughter?? Is there somewhere in the Quaran that says wearing the evil eye is haram?

thank you

This post submitted using the ANONYMOUS button on the main Madina menu. Please reply here publicly so that the original poster can read any replies.
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2010 07:33 PM »

wsalam,

If one believes that the *object* is the thing that is protecting your daughter then I think it would be considered a form of shirk. Just explain this politely to your mother-in-law and maybe ask her if she has any other jewelery or something cute that you could put on her instead.

A good book might be Abu Ameenah Bilal Phillips Fundamentals of Tawheed, I think I recall a section on amulets and such.

The Fundamentals of Tawheed: by Dr. Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips

BTW evil eye does exist though so you could find out how to avert evil eye as much as possible from your daughter without the use of charms.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: