Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

It was the best of times... it was the worst of times... it was shaadi season time.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Carnival  (Read 1897 times)
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« on: Feb 22, 2008 04:53 PM »

As salaamu alaykum

First of all, my apologies for only dropping in on the site when I need your advice!

I am chairing a fundraising carnival for our school. I plan on having the typical games. However i am at a snag for a way to work in some of the qualities Prophet Muhammad told us to instill in our children in a fun game way.

For example- teach your kids wrestling- we will have thumb wrestling competions.
Teach your kids archery- this is easy with fake bow and arrows.

Teach your kids horseback riding.. hmm... can't seem to come up with a game for a single person to play in regards to horses. Please keep in mind all games need to be hand made...if we had the mula I would do the horse race/water gun fair game.

My second question comes from a prize. We bought a bunch of georocks- crack open and there is a crystal inside. You know the story of the camel coming out of the rock? We can make a bunch of papermache rocks with a couple first prize camels in some ... can anyone pull this together? Or give me a better idea/theme that the prize is a georock?

Finally- thinking of the movie, The Message, remember the spear throwing scene? I finally found some kiddie spears...what should my target be?

Any ideas/brainstorming welcome- especially with an Islamic theme!

Would it be disrespectful if at the fish pond I had a poster saying something like "Help Pr. Musa (as)  find his fish?" and similar things like that?

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
um aboodi
Sis

Reputation Power: 26
um aboodi barely matters :(um aboodi barely matters :(

« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2008 05:22 PM »

peace be upon you

off the top of my head you/kids can make horse stick toys.

draw/print horse heads on card board sheets and glue these on one end of  broom sticks (you can unscrew them).  you can make horse mane out of black felt fabric, or just include it in the cardboard cutout.

the kids can have a horse race with those. 

here is a pic of a toy horse stick

dunno about the georock thing. 

maybe they can aim the spears toward a box.  each kid can write his/her name on their allocated spears, whoever ends up with the most number of spears in the box gets a prize.  i do not think it is a good idea for them to associate spears with an "enemy" at this age.

re: fish and prophet musa, alaihi assalam, what would be the moral of the game?

Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2008 06:59 PM »

As salaamu alaykum

Teach your kids horseback riding.. hmm... can't seem to come up with a game for a single person to play in regards to horses. Please keep in mind all games need to be hand made...if we had the mula I would do the horse race/water gun fair game.

Sr. Kathy, I see the horse thing as a wonderful way to teach .... Balance
There needs to be balance in all that we do if we are to stay on top of things in life.
Teaching Balance and making it a game I think may be an idea.
Set up a couple saw horses, put blankets on them as like a saddle,
have mats or blankets under then in case someone falls.
Have the kids hold their arms straight out like an airplane and see how long
they can stay that way without dropping their hands.
You can even make something for them to hold in each hand and label it something
we have to deal with in life and how we need to balance them.
I hope this doesn't sound silly. azizah purplehijabisis
Blessedgrandma
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
Blessedgrandma has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2008 07:04 PM »

Those stick horses Sr. um aboodi  mentioned can be found at any Walmart for $5.
I have 2 here for my granddaughter. Could still teach the balance idea,
have them do the horse races with one hand on the stick and the other
holding an egg  Shocked It's messy but fun. Tarps come in handy for that.
 Cheesy
Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2008 03:25 PM »

Great horse ideas!
We have limited space- because the carnival will be in a gym- with a big castle bounce!
So i need a horse idea that is just a kid and a game - space equivalent of a bean bag throw.

About the fish and Al-Khidr:
18.60: Behold, Moses said to his attendant, "I will not give up until I reach the junction of the two seas or (until) I spend years and years in travel." But when they reached the Junction, they forgot (about) their Fish, which took its course through the sea (straight) as in a tunnel. When they had passed on (some distance), Moses said to his attendant: "Bring us our early meal; truly we have suffered much fatigue at this (stage of) our journey."
 He replied: "Sawest thou (what happened) when we betook ourselves to the rock? I did indeed forget (about) the Fish: none but Satan made me forget to tell (you) about it: it took its course through the sea in a marvellous way!"
Moses said: "That was what we were seeking after:" So they went back on their footsteps, following (the path they had come). So they found one of Our servants, on whom We had bestowed Mercy from Ourselves and whom We had taught knowledge from Our own Presence.

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: