// My visit to flood affected areas - Pakistan August 2010
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: The person I like most is the one who points out my defects - Umar (radiAllahu anhu)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My visit to flood affected areas - Pakistan August 2010  (Read 919 times)
Hard2Hit
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
Hard2Hit has no influence :(

Taubah

« on: Sep 08, 2010 12:00 PM »

A.A,

A friend and I visited Muzaffargarh near Multan which is one of the worst hit areas by flood. I'm sharing our experience here so that others who are planning to personally help the flood affectees can get some help/direction from our visit. This note entails some suggestions and videos that we captured.

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?created&&note_id=434859974797

My visit to flood affected areas - Pakistan August 2010

Muzaffargarh is at around 45 minutes drive from Multan. Upon reaching there one would start observing road side makeshift camps and shelters, dont stop here as those aren't the formal camps. Further down the road there is an overhead bridge and after crossing that bridge 3 big chimney towers would be seen on the right hand side. There is a road (turning right) that leads to these towers, in the middle of this road there is a big entrance gate to a govt employees housing society. There is a school in this colony where most of the flood affectees are sheltered.

Every second child is suffering from stomach diseases. Hamdulillah we took relevant supplies and medicine for children. Even though the medicine stock there was loaded with ample supplies, but "Dependal-M" syrup (for diarrhea, loose or liquid bowel) which is specific to little children was missing. We took around 25 bottles there from Lahore which were given to the mothers of suffering kids.

There is more than enough food and supplies there, and it continues to come in further. Affectees are fed twice a day and milk/tea is served as well. Whats lacking is proper sanitation and health care especially for women and newborn to one year old children. Anybody wishing to contribute further should focus only on little children and women specific issues...

PTI/Pukaar has setup a relief camp there. These two videos were captured there when the camp organizer was briefing us about how things are being run there.

Inside PTIs Supply Camp - Muzaffargarh -

PTI has also setup medical and registeration camps for later rehabilitation efforts.

PTIs Dispensary and Registration - Muzaffargarh -

We then went inside the main camp (school) where a relief worker briefed us on the aid distribution. Most of the affectees are staying in this school, yet many chose to stay in the flooded areas to guard their households. All the items that are being donated by individuals, charity orgs, PTI, JI, NGOs et al, are being dispersed in an orgnanized fashion by Pakistan rangers and PTI.

Here is a video of the short briefing:

Relief Distribution Strategy - Muzaffargarh  -

We also talked to the affected families and recorded their views. This is the survival phase, next most important milestone would be rehabilitation. Funds should be raised and preserved to rebuild homes and fields/farms for these people in a better coordinated and organized fashion. The Orgs working there know best where and how the money should be spent, so all the info should be gathered first and then ownership should be taken for specific families for rehabilitation.

Discussion with a family - Muzaffargarh -

Talking to and guiding a woman - Muzaffargarh -

Hope this helps. Let me know if anyone needs any further information, i've a couple of contacts in the camps there.

Wasalam,
-me.

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2010 03:12 PM »

Thanks for the insight into the situation on the ground Br. H2H. I wasn't able to see the videos as I don't have a FB account, but that's alright.

This is truly such a widespread disaster/tragedy, it's really hard the fathom and it hurts even more knowing it's our brothers and sisters who are suffering, though of course, it is painful to see any humans having to go through this.

BABA
 Sad

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
skhansj
Bro

Reputation Power: 1
skhansj has no influence :(

« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2010 09:07 PM »

May Almighty Allah reward you for your efforts. Every bit counts in these trying days.

Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2010 01:23 PM »

Salaams,

Thanks for the insight into the situation on the ground Br. H2H. I wasn't able to see the videos as I don't have a FB account, but that's alright.

I just uploaded some of these videos on YT:

1. Aid Distribution Strategy Briefing - Muzaffargarh August 2010:

2. Discussion with affected family - Muzaffargarh August 2010:

3. Talking to and Guiding an affected woman - Muzaffargarh August 2010:

The knight doesn't wait when he's ill or has cancer brother, the knight fights on... He finds a strategy, changes tactics, and hits hard.
Hard2Hit
Bro

Taubah

« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2010 11:32 PM »

Salaams,

Picture story of my second visit, this time to northern areas/Nowshehra. Wifey and I went with a team of medics and social workers.

Link: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=282755&id=612589065&ref=mf

Privacy of the album is set to allow viewing to everyone.

Wasalam,
-me

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: