// Politician arrested over Twitter call to stone Muslim journalist
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: O God, I can't live in this world / Without remembering You - / How can I endure the next world / Without seeing Your face? - Rabi'a al-Adawiyya
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Politician arrested over Twitter call to stone Muslim journalist  (Read 513 times)
naira
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
naira has no influence :(

« on: Nov 11, 2010 07:07 PM »

This was humourous ?

- n

Politician arrested over Twitter call to stone Muslim journalist

BRITISH politician has been arrested for writing on Twitter that a female Muslim journalist should be stoned to death.

Tory councillor Gareth Compton, 38, tweeted, "Can someone please stone Yasmin Alibhai-Brown to death? I shan't tell Amnesty [International] if you don't. It would be a blessing, really."

He later apologised for the remark, calling it "an ill-conceived attempt at humour", but Alibhai-Brown said it was racially motivated.

Alibhai-Brown, who writes for British newspaper The Independent, said she regarded the comment as incitement to murder and confirmed she would report Compton to the police.

"If I as a Muslim woman had tweeted that it would be a blessing if Gareth Compton was stoned to death I'd be arrested immediately," she said.

A Conservative spokesman said: "Language of this sort is not acceptable and as a result Gareth Compton's membership has been indefinitely suspended pending a further investigation."

Mr Compton, who represents the party in Birmingham, central England, deleted the original tweet amid the furor. He was bailed following his arrest.

A spokeswoman for West Midlands Police confirmed a 38-year-old man had been held "on suspicion of sending an offensive or indecent message."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/politician-arrested-over-twitter-call-to-stone-muslim-journalist/story-e6frf7lf-1225952406794
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: