Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Day of Arafat today!  (Read 794 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2775

I heart the Madina

« on: Nov 15, 2010 09:06 AM »

Hope everyone's fasting today... they're showing the changing of the kiswa live on TV so beautiful...!!!

Muslims on hajj in Saudi start ascent of holy site
By SARAH EL DEEB, Associated Press

AP
Tens of thousands of Muslim pilgrims moving around the Kaaba, the black cube seen at center, inside the Grand Mosque, during the annual Hajj in Mecca, Saudi Arabia, Saturday, Nov. 13, 2010. The annual Islamic pilgrimage draws 2.5 million visitors each year, making it the largest yearly gathering of people in the world.(AP Photo/Hassan Ammar)

Nearly 3 million Muslims performing the annual hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia began making their way up the rocky desert Mount Arafat on Monday, chanting that they have come to answer God's call.

The white-robed pilgrims began their ascent at the crack of dawn, covering the Mountain of Mercy at Arafat in an endless sea of white as their chants "Labyek Allah," or "Here I am, God, answering your calling," reverberated overhead.

The climb at Arafat is one of the cornerstones of the pilgrimage, which is required from every able-bodied Muslim at least once in their life time. It's the site where Islam's Prophet Muhammad delivered his farewell sermon and Muslims believe on this day the doors of heavens open to answer prayers and grant forgiveness.

As they began their climb from the tent-city in the valley, many of the pilgrims looked tired from lack of sleep, having spent the entire night praying. Charities and vendors along the way handed out food packages and umbrellas to shield the climbers from the harsh sun.

One of the pilgrims, Wassim Ahmad, from Mumbai, India, said this was his first hajj and that he felt like a child, reborn.

"Today is like judgment day," said the 29-year-old. "We have come to pray to God ... a new child has been born."

Alone and obviously on her first hajj, 46-year-old Egyptian, Um Sayed, kept asking people for directions.

"There is nothing greater than feeling that you are going to meet God," she said. "The whole body shivers."

Mina, Arafat and Muzdalifa are the three stops on the pilgrims' journey during the hajj, as worshippers trace the steps of Prophet Muhammad.

The hajj draws millions of worshippers each year, the sheer numbers a challenge in preventing stampedes at holy sites, fires in pilgrim encampments and the spread of disease.

This year Saudi authorities have taken new measures to improve crowd management, including launching a new light-rail system to transport pilgrims between the shrines.

WCoastbaba
Bro

Reps: 519

« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2010 11:59 AM »

Yes, I'm fasting today Sis Jannah! But just spent the morning hours getting my student visa issues for the final time! Wow, that must have been beautiful to see!

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]

lala marcy
Sis

Reps: 143

« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2010 08:27 PM »

I messed up so I'm not fasting today. And then NYU is doing Eid Wed..and my regular Masjid Manana. I got  a bit confused..sigh. Oh wells. Plus I took off Wed. So it looks like I'll be going to prayers tomorrow before work and when I'moff on Wed I have to baby sit for my sister. It's all a mess. But hey, what you gonna do.

sigh

jannah
Administrator

Reps: 2775

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2010 08:48 PM »

Salams,

wcoastbaba have a good fast inshallah!

marcy hehe that happened to me for Ramadan... very confusing when different Mosques do stuff on different days and even family members! it's all good... hope you have a fun day... get the kids lots of chocolate and ice cream and good stuff.. u know... for the kids Wink

WCoastbaba
Bro

Reps: 519

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2010 09:24 PM »

Salams,

wcoastbaba have a good fast inshallah!

Salaam Sis  J - It was a rough fast I must say - bad headache for the latter part of the day, as I didn't sleep much at night. Then, even after taking a nap, it didn't get better, but had a sandwich after breaking fast, then dinner (some of my famous chicken curry!) two hours later or so. It took some Tylenol and some KitKat to get back to having a enough blood sugar, etc, to finally feel better. Trying to get some reading done before going to sleep.

I have to admit, given the above, I'm  feeling my Imaan is a bit higher and really excited for tomorrow - insha'allah, will take some video as I did for Al-Fitr, as we are at a different location this time. I will at least take pictures if not video. Also, I think the fast helped in the many different aspects it is supposed to, so ma'sha'allah, added benefit, in addition to the 2-year of sins being forgiven.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: