Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

Alas, poor imam.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My Last E'id in Prague/Share your E'id here  (Read 1113 times)
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« on: Nov 17, 2010 01:07 AM »

The following also appears on my blog at: http://americanbrother.blogspot.com/

BABA
 desibro
************************************************************************************************
     I made my way out of the flat (apartment) at around 7:20 am, knowing that I needed time to take a tram two stops and then a train for a slightly longer period and then hope to run into some brothers and make sure I got to the venue in a timely fashion. I wasn't too worried though, as one always manages to find a crowd of brothers or sisters walking in the same direction and eventually reach the desired destination; in this case, it was a gym/arena that we had performed E'id-al-Adha Salah in several times in years past (pictured below, at top).

As I sat on the train, I tried to see if there were any visible Muslims also on the carriage that I was in, that I could join when the train arrived at the desired station,. No luck. The station came (pictured above, at bottom) and I made my way off the train, towards the escalators. As I stood, being carried up to the street level, An African man, in traditional outfit slowly walked up the stairs, going past me. I though, this must be a brother . . . then it was confirmed - I saw a prayer rug in his hand. I made my way up the few steps on the escalator that were between us and tapped him on the arm, "Brother, E'id Mubarak" as we then shook hands warmly. He was from Guinea - ma'sha'allah, I love meeting brothers from so many different nations. You'll remember from my E'id-ul-Fitr post, I met a brother that was from Benin, so it always a joy for me to meet brothers from countries that I wouldn't probably meet otherwise, even if I was at home in the United States.
          As we made our way to the gym, there were three sisters walking in front of us and shortly thereafter, a brother, with a clear Arabic accent joined us. The brother from Guinea and I were talking about how E'id in several countries was going to be celebrated the following day, instread of Tuesday, November 16. The other brother had been on the phone, so once he joined us, he told us that he had overheard our conversation and went on to give his opinion on the matter.
        We finally arrived at the entrance of the gym and made our way up the stairs that led into the gym or arena and immediately, I could here the beautiful dhirk . . . in one harmonious voice "Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, Allahu Akbar, La ilaha illallah . . . . " This always brings happiness to my heart - of course, it is a simple yet beautiful recitation, yet it  and E'id Salah in general always reminds of the days when my late father would take me early for these Blessed days when I was in grade school and I would be so tired, as I had school that day and I would keep leaning against him, but he would shortly thereafter push me back up with his shoulder, implying that I should sit up straight. Bless him, when it came to such important events and moments, he was stern and I am grateful for that to this very day. I hope I can pass this on if I am blessed with children.
      I removed my shoes and made my way to the last row and found a nice spot, next to one of the brothers that I know that works at a business nearby my apartment. Sadly, I had brought my camera, as I had my school bag with me (I was going to class at 11:00, though it was only about 8:00 at the time I arrived at the salah), but just as we had entered the building, I realized I had left my SD card in my laptop - oh no! I mention this because, though I love recorded moments such as this, I think it was a Blessing in disguise - I could now fully concentrate, focus and participate in the dhikr - so I began to feel less regretful that I wasn't going to be able to take pictures. After about 20-30 minutes, we began the salah. The Imam that leads E'id Salah, as well as Tarawih during the Month of Ramadhan, was leading today's salah, and I just love his voice - it's beautiful ma'sha'allah. Of course, as many of you have probably experienced no matter where you are in the world, as we said salah, there was the pitter-patter or even pounding, in our case, given we were on a wooden floor, of the feet of young children who were running around behind us, in between us and the sisters or even around the sisters, I noticed as the khutbah followed.
       We sat through the Arabic and the Czech version that followed. Once these were completed, I found all the Pakistani brothers, fellow medical students (many Malaysians, some Pakistanis and Indians) or the business men that I know that run some shops and restaurants that I frequent here and gave them all big hugs. As I left with some of these fellow medical students to make our way to a small Turkish restaurant near the smaller masjid where I attend Jumu'ah, I agreed with some other students that we would also meet in the evening for dinner at night. Among this group of student making the way to the lunch site, were two German brothers - one of Asian and one who was Caucasian. As we stood in line, these two German brothers were behind me and I turned around and told them I had always seen a German Imam, Pierre Vogel who I see converting so many new Muslims in Germany on YouTube and at this moment the Caucasian, said, "Like me alhamdulillah" He was a German convert! Allahu Akbar! I said, "Ma'sha'allah . . " His parents were still Christian he told me.
       As I sat down at a table with two other brothers in the group, I commented on how I thought convert brothers & sisters are so much more passionate and better practicing Muslims that those of us who are born into Muslim families. That's how I feel at least. These two brothers agreed with me, as they have been transformed and have made so much sacrifice, sometimes losing their families or at least no having their support. The humbleness of this German brother stuck out even more, when, as I stood up to leave, as I had 30 minutes to get to class (a hospital in the city center, though we too were in center, but I like to give myself enough time), he also partially stood up to give salaam to me . .. ma'sha'allah, May Allah (swt) Make him a great example for the rest of us. I hope I get to see him again before I leave Prague, insha'allah.
      After class ended, I went to the library for a good part of the afternoon to get some reading done. I admit, I didn't get much done the previous day, as I had gone to get my Visa renewed and I was fasting, so no energy at all. I came home around Maghrib time and then I relaxed and waited for the SMS that the brother who was gong to make a plan for the evening meal, to arrive. We were to meet at the Pakistani restaurant that tI go to often, at 7:30. I got their early, as it was only two tram stops away. Once the rest of the brothers (and one sister actually!) got there, we ordered our food and took a table in the back room, that allows for more privacy. We had great food (my FIRST dish is pictured below; yeah I had two dishes! Jab zyaada khushi hai, zyaada khaanaa khana hai (When there is more happiness, you have to eat more food). I just made that up when I got there!

As we waited for our food to arrive, we had great laughs and at one point, we all made speeches (yes, even I made a short one, more on that in minute). First up to make a speech was the brother I've mentioned, who made the plan for this meal and I was able to catch a bit of this fun moment on camera -

E'id-ul-Adha 1431/2010 dinner "Speech"

When my turn arrived I said the following (I'm paraphrasing here): One thing I love about Islam is that we are all one (I quoted the first ayah that appears at the top of my blog header) and that even though we are all away from home, from different nations (one of the brothers had mentioned that we had a bit of a diverse group, though we were mostly from either a Pakistani or Indian background, though we did have one Somalian)) and that this brotherhood bounds us all by the one important thing we have in common - al-Islam. I hoped that the youngsters here will continue this effort in meeting each other and keeping this wonderful feeling alive, as it is my last year and wont be a part of it in the future. That's about it *pause* . . .(I then switched to Urdu for a closing statement) "Allah ke naam pe, aaplog ko boht pyar kartha hoon" (In Allah's Name, I love you all very much). *Applause* :-)

Ma'salaam / Peace be with you.

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2010 04:48 AM »

Wsalaam wrt,

That was lovely bro, Jazaks for sharing. You guys should have those kinds of get togethers more often. You know keep your spirits and Islam up.

My Eid was very quiet. I woke up early got dressed. Was saving something really fancy for a wedding coming up, so I wore an outfit I had made in India awhile ago. Drove off to the Eid prayer site at a local university. Luckily found some very close street parking and headed inside. Found a nice spot next to an elderly sister I know. We said the takbeerat and did the prayer and listened to the khutbah. The khutbah was mostly how the rituals of Hajj are related to the family of Abraham. All fathers should strive to be like Ibrahim, mothers like Haajer and children like Ismail.  After that everyone hugged and said Eid mubarak. I saw many people I haven't seen in awhile and then I headed back home. Later on we had some nice Pakistani restaurant food. It was a nice low-key Eid although rather lonely. I think the older you get if you don't have a family there's really nothing to do or be excited about Sad Sigh guess I'll go watch P&P from the beginning Smiley Salams.

WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2010 09:17 AM »

Salaam Sis Jannah -

Aw, thanks so much!

Jazak'Allahu Khairan for sharing your day as well . . . awwww, sis . . . I don't know what to tell you . . yes, I guess you are right, when you don't have company, it is less exciting, but it seems like you had a nice little day, the good food, seeing old acquaintances after a long time, etc. Though it sounds like all that was over a brief part of the day . . .

The one sister in my class, she asked me "Don't you feel strange to be alone on E'id?" I then said that that is why I make the effort to meet people and not only that, I've made friends over the years that I met during Iftar meals at past Ramadan's here, so I don't feel alone at all, though I may be away from family. She then said "yes, you are better than that at me, meeting people, etc" Let's just say she's part of the crowd that my very long blog post was about (I think you know what i mean) so she stayed in. I've actually always felt happy on these E'id days, even if there is an exam coming up - I enjoy that Day as it happens, that is what I wanted to show with this post. Yes, I have to come back to an empty apartment, while others at least have Muslim roommates, but I enjoyed myself with the larger group and I am thankful for it.

I am sure you are as well, but I do understand your feelings though. Insha'allah, there will be many joyous, crowded, long days of E'id awaiting you in the near future dear! Smiley

BABA
 desibro

PS Hope you enjoyed P&P.

Sr.Kathy
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
Sr.Kathy has no influence :(

« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2010 06:39 PM »

As salaamu alaykum
Eid Mubarak

Nice to read about your day. It still seems weird, from my Slovak point of view, to hear about Eid being celebrated in my grandparents' country. Subhannah Allah. Subhanna Allah.

It is also good to read jannah's point of view. I was feeling a bit lonely too. this must be hard to believe, if you know of my role in the masjid. I am surrounded by Muslims in the morning and the evening. However during the day my hubby spends the entire day talking to his family via skype and Ali is playing the newest and latest X-box game. i was sitting in the recliner feeling kind of lonely. No family to celebrate with, no family calling or inviting or even wanting to be invited for a Moslem holiday. Hubby doesn't want to invite because he wants to talk with his family and i don't want to go to anything social without my family. Lol... even tho we are separated the moment we get anywhere!

So there I sit for hours watching TV, trying to reach 'not at home' sisters, it is so lonely. Heh heh heh.. one perk is the Oprah show... characters of one of my favorite movies are on. this movie reminds me of my first husband and I say a quick prayer for him and i am surprised over my negative feelings about him. Allahu Allum!

I look at my decorated home and reflect Christmas holidays and how my parents/ grandparents homes are filled with people and food. I want mine to be like this too. Insha Allah, As Ali grows and gets married and has lot's of children- our home will be the new generation of Muslims on the block over spilling with love, children and good food. I guess i just have to wait.

It is the price reverts have to pay - not having family- even though they live less than a couple of miles away.

Alhumdullillah for the children. Once I get to the Masjid they are so excited to see me and the game prizes i bring. Sisters give the library donations which i always take as an affirming action for the work I do.

Ali waits with me until i lock up the Masjid, which made me feel warm and fuzzy.  On the way home he says he is not ready to go home so we go get an ice cream and pick up some toys for my class. I get home and hubby is still locked up in the computer room.

He too has family- hundreds of miles away- but in the same room he is in. Mash Allah.

"Allah surely knows the warmth of every teardrop... " Jaihoon
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2010 08:20 PM »

By the way,I was wondering if I should post the video and pictures of the slaughter.
Will that be alright or do you guys think it is too gross?

Initially I took those pictures with the intention of posting them here but then my Aunt said that her son (ABCD) didn't eat meat for six months after seeing the slaughter. That made me ask you coz I don't want people hissing at me or taking to the streets and raising slogans outside admin's house to ban me from the board for posting inappropriate content Smiley
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2010 08:25 PM »

Thanks for your Eid diaries sr. Kathy and akhan. Definitely very interesting Smiley

sr. Kathy I definitely feel for the converts and for ppl who don't have extended family in the US. we definitely need to have more Eid related events in our communities.

akhan you sound like a good son and brother, good for you mashaAllah!
(that's tough how much bargaining u have to do! i hate bargaining)

video of the slaughter?? uhhhhh no thanx i don't think anyone would want to see that and eat? but could be a good diet tip Smiley
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2010 10:56 PM »

@Sr Kathy: My heart felt heavy while reading what you and of course, other converts have to go through during such days and of course, in a general sense as well. Looks like little Ali was enjoying though, as well as Mr.Kathy, though again, it made you feel lonely even though they were in the house with you *sigh* I don't really know how to comfort you in any way, even in the small way that an online message would afford. Glad you liked my account of the day. Forgive me, but I had forgotten about your Slovak background, but that makes me think about my day in an additional light now.

Despite what you have to go through without your family celebrating with you, I know you are going to receive so many blessings for what you do for the kids and the library, etc. You are already seeing the results of that now, with the excitment of the kids and I have no doubt you will get a mountain load of good in the Next Life insha'allah. Don't know how comforting that is, again, given what you have to get through even on a daily basis and then more acutely on E'id twice a year and of course, maybe each day during Ramadan. Sending my warmth and best wishes - you sound like one terrific woman/sister and I would be honored to meet you some day. (Sorry for the mushiness all, but couldn't resist . . .  Smiley)

@akhan:  Smiley Cheesy I just added  'share your E'id here" to the title of the thread after Sr. Jannah shared her day with us, and I thought it was a built selfish to just have a thread for me (though I did get a nice response for al-Fitr . . ). I have to agree with Sr. Jannah, ma'sha'allah you sound like such a warm, loving brother and son. May Allah (swt) Bless you for all that you did just for the sake of love, that I'm sure emanates or is a result of your Imaan. That feeling you had after you aunt's reaction, after initially feeling humbled, is natural, but that fact you went back and immediately sought Taubah, reflects your good heart - something I can learn from for sure.

I was really touched by how you were secretive about the cake and gifts with your father - I only wish I could done something like for my own father before he left this world, though I did get to have a chance to have those private father-son moments towards the end, but really wished I would have had an opportunity as you had and made the most of on such a special occasion as well (not just his birthday, as you said). Overall, you really made the most of the potential Ibadah that we can do on the Noble Day of Arafah and E'id - I love it! Thanks so much for sharing the details with us, it is really priceless. I had to laugh at this
took a quick shower coz my clothes were smelling of goats
Sorry, but I guess I have a sick sense of humor, though I usually don't laugh at this kind of thing. Of course, this line was also funny:
The best thing that could ever happen to me on Eid was waking up to sore arms from that human ride the goat took..grrr

Again, Jazak'Allahu Khairan for sharing your exhausting, spiritual, fun and emotional day with us.

BABA
 desibro

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: