Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: to sacrifice or not  (Read 1392 times)
saleem
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
saleem barely matters :(saleem barely matters :(

« on: Nov 17, 2010 02:11 AM »

Kurban Bayram conundrum in Turkey: To slaughter or not to slaughter? - Hurriyet Daily News and Economic Review

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=to-slaughter-or-not-to-slaughter-2010-11-15

Turkish vegetarians call for animal rights during Kurban Bayram holiday - Hurriyet Daily News and Economic Review

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=vegetarians-voice-to-defend-animal-rights-2010-11-12
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2010 03:56 AM »

I've noticed a number of these 'don't slaughter/save the animals this eid' blah blah blah type articles this Eid. I mean I'm sorry but 90% of humans on the earth are carnivores. We eat meat. There might be a few that don't ,like religious hindus or wealthier westerners (that can afford to make up the nutrition in meat in other ways). The rest of us can't afford to not to eat meat and for the majority meat is a luxury and something to look forward to. Some people like to think their meat just comes like that, all generic like, in plastic wrap at your local supermarket. And they conveniently forget that people are slaughtering animals 24/7 everywhere and in the most inhumane methods. Islamic law ensures ethical slaughtering and feeding of animals. This sacrifice on Eid also requires that we give  1/3 of that meat to the poor and 1/3 to friends and family and the last for ourselves. Can you imagine the amount of sharing that is going on today if all 1.5 billion Muslims are giving meat to so many of the world's poor. If you are personally a vegetarian for health reasons, you can still give money to have the sacrifice done in your name in a poor country. Believe me, having meat is an extremely joyous and happy occasion there. Sometimes it's the only meat they eat all year.

We have to be careful to not always look at Islamic traditions through a 'Western lens'. For Muslims, saying 'don't do a sacrifice', is like saying to an American 'don't have turkey on thanksgiving, save the turkeys!' uhhhhhh wth doesn't make sense right. Especially because those animals are raised for eating and this is part of American tradition. So stop beating up Islamic traditions with non-rational and yes, hypocritical arguments. Thanks.

WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2010 09:23 AM »

Completely agree with you Sis Jannah. For sure, the Islamic way of slaughtering is much more human that the manner in which they are killed in other parts of society.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2010 02:53 PM »

Sister Jannah, I totally agree with you.

However,
You said :
or wealthier westerners (that can afford to make up the nutrition in meat in other ways).
I thought it would be cheaper to be vegetarian.  Huh?  A pound of legumes is cheaper than a pound of meat.  No?
Sorry.
Just curious.

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2010 04:40 PM »

salam

Well if you're gonna nitpick, we are not carnivores we is Omnivores....

And Sr Rahma, the protein and iron content in a pound of meat would be a lot more than in a pound of legumes, it's not easy to maintain a balanced diet if you cut out meat.

And meat is there for us to eat and thank Allah, and we treat our animals well, and slaughter them humanely and as quickly therefore as painlessly as possible.

If you wanna go meat free you may wanna reconsider your clothing choices too.

<goes to stroke her fur lined boots>

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
lucid
Bro

Reputation Power: 15
lucid has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2010 07:09 PM »

I've noticed a number of these 'don't slaughter/save the animals this eid' blah blah blah type articles this Eid. I mean I'm sorry but 90% of humans on the earth are carnivores. We eat meat. There might be a few that don't ,like religious hindus or wealthier westerners (that can afford to make up the nutrition in meat in other ways). The rest of us can't afford to not to eat meat and for the majority meat is a luxury and something to look forward to. Some people like to think their meat just comes like that, all generic like, in plastic wrap at your local supermarket. And they conveniently forget that people are slaughtering animals 24/7 everywhere and in the most inhumane methods. Islamic law ensures ethical slaughtering and feeding of animals. This sacrifice on Eid also requires that we give  1/3 of that meat to the poor and 1/3 to friends and family and the last for ourselves. Can you imagine the amount of sharing that is going on today if all 1.5 billion Muslims are giving meat to so many of the world's poor. If you are personally a vegetarian for health reasons, you can still give money to have the sacrifice done in your name in a poor country. Believe me, having meat is an extremely joyous and happy occasion there. Sometimes it's the only meat they eat all year.

We have to be careful to not always look at Islamic traditions through a 'Western lens'. For Muslims, saying 'don't do a sacrifice', is like saying to an American 'don't have turkey on thanksgiving, save the turkeys!' uhhhhhh wth doesn't make sense right. Especially because those animals are raised for eating and this is part of American tradition. So stop beating up Islamic traditions with non-rational and yes, hypocritical arguments. Thanks.

i think the real issue is how "in your face" the slaughtering is on Eid.  Our streets are red, the drains are red, it smells of raw meat.  Its pretty gruesome.  Muslims have taken a pious tradition and perverted it. 

Everybody is slaughtering stuff. People who don't pray. People who drink. People who don't consider themselves religious in any way.  This is pretty strange for something so profoundly religious as the commemoration of Ibrahim's devotion.  And all of this is done on the sidewalks, on the streets, in your face.

People spend exorbiant amounts of money on a cow or two.  I really wonder how much is actually given to the poor.  And who are the poor?  Around here they are the street beggars who come to your gate/door wanting meat, sometimes to sell to someone else.

Eid is so messed up.  You who live in the States and in non-muslim countries experience it in much greater purity than those of us who live in muslim countries and are subject to its abject perversion. 
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2010 03:18 PM »

salam

And Sr Rahma, the protein and iron content in a pound of meat would be a lot more than in a pound of legumes, it's not easy to maintain a balanced diet if you cut out meat.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
I'd probably make a lousy vegetarian!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: