Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

The dhulan doth protest too much.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Snow forecast  (Read 6639 times)
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« on: Nov 22, 2010 08:00 AM »

salam

We have snow forecast from Thursday onwards...... Londons going to come to a standstill again Roll Eyes

What's the weather like on your side of the world?

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2010 09:37 AM »

Freakishly hot! Although its supposed to be winter
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2010 02:55 PM »

Salaam!

Here in Prague - Snow is forcasted in the next day or two. Will post pics if they are worthy.  Smiley

Back home in Portland (NW part of the US) - My Amma reports snowflakes, but no accumulation, but today a more substantial snowfall may occur. Back home, we don't know how to drive in the snow, there is even a well-known video on YouTube (appears below) showing drivers in the city just sliding around, hitting stationary cars - quite funny, but sad/scary too.  Smiley We are not so used to heavy snow, but it seems to be getting worse each winter.

BABA
 desibro

Portland drivers in the snow

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2010 04:28 PM »

Wow!  Shocked
That video is really scary!
Here in the southeast US it's partly cloudy and 70 degrees!
No snow here anytime soon.  If at all....

Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2010 07:58 PM »

salam

Southeast, are you near the coast Sr Rahma?

We've not had any snow either so far, but it's so cold it hurts to breathe outside.

I've a friend arriving from Louisiana soon, why anyone would want to leave a nice toasty climate for here is beyond me!!!!!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2010 09:06 PM »

Breaking news: light snow fall in Prague as of 10:05 PM, Friday Nov. 26 (probably started a bit earlier, as I have the curtains closed  Cheesy)

desibro
BABA

rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2010 03:43 AM »

Southeast, are you near the coast Sr Rahma?

No so close to the coast...closer to the gulf.  But it just turned cold today.  Woke up to 42 degrees...  Had to turn on my heater.. Angry
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2010 04:14 PM »

salam

Well we have snow, and I've not sorted out the bugs that keep stopping me from connectig to my work computer, so I'm stuck travelling thro snow....arrrggghhhhh

I am considering moving to a warm climate.....any suggestions?

Wassalaam

jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 279
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2010 04:20 PM »

ws,

I heard England got snow, but I think what they mean by snow is like a few cm's and everything comes screeching to a halt lol. When WE get snow we mean FEET!!! And everyone goes about their business Wink Still waiting... One thing about being unemployed, you enjoy snow a lot more!!! snow

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2010 04:35 PM »

Hey ladies - Sr. Fozia - no suggestions, sorry.

Sr. Jannah - Yeah, England did get snow in some areas, but last I check my family in East London, didn't get any, though Sr. Fozia is on the outskirts London, so that may not be up-to-date anymore.

As I mentioned, we got a bit this weekend, but in teh last day or two, more substantial, but yeah, nothing like what NY gets - I have pictures from my early years (though I'm not in them) with huge drifts of snow in and around where we lived in White Plains  (from birth til 2.5 yrs-ish). I snapped some pictures of the Institute that I've been attending the last few weeks for our Obstetrics ad Gynecology course (not my school's campus, though this is actually better, as it's exclusively for mother and child; and is in the city center, next to the river), as I thought it was a nice scene and had the board in mind when I took them, but also, I'm just trying to collect photos of Prague before I leave for good.

BABA
 desibro

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2010 06:41 PM »

salam

Yesyes, it's a few inches, it's horrible and cold and keeps turning into smush and ice..... and I am so totally cross, I do not want to be wading thro this yucky mushy discoloured freezing stuff. I'm east(ish) outside(ish) of London, we woke to snow this morning, parts of England are actually smothered in the stuff, they have it by the feet and more....guess I'm lucky I'm not in the back of beyond Alhumdulillah.

On the upside I managed to connect to work from my home computer....on the downside, I have to configure my desktop to make it look like anything useful.

Still grouchy..........this may well last till spring!

Br Wtcoastbaba, gosh thats so pretty...... still grouchy tho (dont think I'm not)

Wassalaam

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2010 07:50 PM »

Awww, I'm sorry Sr. Fozia . . though I know how you feel. I'm actually going to stay in tomorrow and just read/study insha'allah. I have enough attendance, so it's all good. Grin

My khala is in Essex, near the border with London's limits - Gidea Park station is right down the street from her house.

I forgot to mention that the high these days are around -5 or less and the lows overnight will be around -12. Yes, that's in Celsius - Sis Jannah - we are the only country that uses Fahrenheit and I get teased about it, even now, so I am getting used to Celsius so that when I mention a F temperature, I can at give a rough number to my friends in C.

The smaller sidewalks, on the side streets and even the ones in the center of the city are covered in ice. So the amount isn't much, but its the content that is not fun.

Oh, Sr. Fozia, thanks - it has a lovely interior as well, nice central round atrium. There are even more beautiful buildings, settings around the city. I even have a tall church with two spires just around the corner from the flat (in the first picture I took, I'm standing at the intersection of where my street [which happens to be named Londynska, can which city it is named after? Many of the streets around the area are named after European countries, kinda cool!] meets the main street where the trams travel on - just so you can get a sense of how close it is to my flat) which looks lovely when there is snow on it, so will try snap a picture of that as well - I actually have a picture of it from earlier this year - in Jan when we had quite a bit of snow, so this will have to do for now.

BABA
 desibro

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2010 03:37 PM »

We are currently getting more snow tonight .. it's blowing sideways . . the snow has covered the ice that has formed over the last two days . . I stayed in for the most part today, just went to pay the phone/internet bill, grab a sandwich (thank God it's just 20 seconds away) and pick up some (6 pack of 1.5L) water; yes I drink bottled water here, as most of us do). I've got dinner in the fridge . . but I've got to go into school tomorrow, but at least the old trams have heated seats/heaters along the sides . .

BABA
 desibro

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2010 08:17 PM »

Latest from Prague: Heavy snow - I've read locals are saying this is the worst they've seen. It reminds me of my first year here, when it was -20 C / -4 F back in '05-'06. Right now, it's -8 C / 17 F. The blowing snow has landed on my window and frozen of course, so I can't even see out clearly. We may get up to 10 inches just tonight. It's been snowing since Maghrib time at least, if not a bit earlier.

BABA desibro

jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2010 09:41 PM »

Oh wow thats a good storm mashaAllah  oldshaykh The fun part is the mad rush to the store to stock up on good snacks. It's usually like people stocking up for the end of the world but it's rather fun.  And then being all comfy and warm at home drinking hot chocolate watching the snow fall. Watching the world halt. Cars covered. Feels like a simpler, more beautiful time.
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #15 on: Dec 01, 2010 10:25 PM »

You and your snacks Sis J!  Cheesy Sorry, couldn't resist!

Yeah, I wish I could just sit, have chai, snacks, etc. I don't have any snacks really. Just my breakfast stuff and some dinner food left over tonight. I am really bad, I don't have much stuff in the fridge. I just go day-to-day. My constants are cereal, milk, water, tea bags, sugar, bananas. I did cook over the weekend - chicken and noodles. I just don't want to bring in too much unhealthy stuff. Oranges are in season, so been having those more recently. Sorry, off topic!

Today wasn't so great of a study day, I have to admit. Insha'allah tomorrow and the following days until the middle of the week after next, then home! Yup, I'ma comin' back to the States y'all on Dec. 18. Let's hope there won't be any travel issues by then - I'll be really annoyed if so. I fly to Amsterdam, then straight home to Portland.

BABA
 desibro

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #16 on: Dec 01, 2010 10:37 PM »

salam

See now, your scenario sounds fabulous.
Oh wow thats a good storm mashaAllah  oldshaykh The fun part is the mad rush to the store to stock up on good snacks. It's usually like people stocking up for the end of the world but it's rather fun.  And then being all comfy and warm at home drinking hot chocolate watching the snow fall. Watching the world halt. Cars covered. Feels like a simpler, more beautiful time.
In england what happens is, the snow ices over (I live at a crossroads by the way, I've watched many cars skid and stop right up against the wall of my front garden!).
Then we flipping trek thro the icy horribleness to go to work, and nothing but nothing works, because we've run out of gritting salt, and hey apparently the next load will get here in the year 3015, in the meantime, it takes four hours to get to work, and everyone is standing around on freezing train platforms, whilst the nobody tells us the trains arent runnig on time or anything.....oh yes and there are tube strikes all over the place so literally NOTHING is running.... :'(

I don't panic buy, I find it more fun trying to use up every last bit of the food in the pantry first...there's a shop round the corner to my house which sells essentials so I'm not terribly worried.

I need a holiday....somewhere warm!

On the slightly surreal note, we were walking home from school (and work) today, when Fatima started telling me there was an angel for everything, one who makes it rain, and one who stands at the door of heaven, and one who will blow the trumpet when it is time for qayamah....and mummy is there one who makes it snow??? Right so who knows the answer to that one then?

Wassalaam

PS view from my window earlier this year when it flipping snowed!!!!

akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #17 on: Dec 02, 2010 01:03 AM »

Man..how do you guys survive?
Hyderabad is hovering around the '+'10C mark and people are dressed up like they're on the north pole.Not me though,I love the cold Smiley
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #18 on: Dec 02, 2010 10:56 AM »

Hey Sr. Fozia - that's some tough going. All the best for you and the kids on getting to school/work.

We got 7 inches overnight. There were traffic disruptions early on, but I had to go to school around 10:30 (Passed a small test, yay!) and I just hopped on the metro/underground, but it was quite a trek to walk to the station I needed, though it's just by that church I showed you guys. I did hear from one of my online contacts that lives in Huddersfield that things have come to a stop, they are snowed in, no school or work - you English not used to it? :-) I know England is known for its' cold winters at least - lots of memories of that when I used to come there often in my younger days.

I think here in the Czech Republic, they are sued to it for the most part, they clear the roads so the trams can run and you see some people who are not even that warmly dressed, which is pretty crazy.

I think tomorrow, it will be in the -11/-15 C range and I also have to head to that Mother and Child hospital one more time, then just one week and half to study and prep for the exam.

OK, check ya later peoples!

BABA
 desibro
PS I did get some snacks - one KitKat Chunky Bar, one Garlic Bake Rolls and a bunch of those small yummy oranges, in addition to my lunch  - a grilled chicken "foot-long" sandwich - thankfully, this sandwich place is cheaper than Subway (yes we have that here) and only a 30 sec walk from my apartment.

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #19 on: Dec 02, 2010 01:18 PM »

salam

You know what, its not that bad really alhumdulillah.

Everything has slowed waaaay down, but people are very nice about it Alhumdulillah.

And indoors is lovely and warm, and my girls are thoroughly enjoying it, we waded thro about a foot of powdery white snow this morning, Khadeeja seemed to find five foot snow drifts whereas me and Fatima were only ankle deep in the stuff! And then on the way to school a parent at my girls school gave us a lift even tho he was returning from having just dropped his daughter off.... Alhumdulillah for the brotherhood of Islam!

And really I have nothing to be cranky about, and everything to be thankful for. We have holidays coming up soon too, yay. And all the christmas/hannukah lights have started to go up, and my new job means I am home early and no more round trips in freezing cold weather and really late into the evenings..........

Allahumma inni Alla zikrika
wa shukrika
wa husni ibadatika.

Wassalaam

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2010 08:13 PM »

Some great photographs of all the snow!!

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/12/let_it_snow.html
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2010 08:28 PM »

As always from that site, amazing pictures! I like the sheep one! It looks so cute!

Ok, I know this isn't anywhere near as nice as those, but here is Prague Castle - the world's largest castle I might add - I snapped this on the way to the library today  Smiley It is taken from the far side of the Vltava River here in Prague.

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2010 09:28 AM »

UPDATE on Prague: After the temps had returned to above freezing and thus helping the snow/ice melt, it has dipped back into low temps and right now, it is 19 F and snowing.  Sad

Am leaving for home on Friday and hoping that weather here and in Amsterdam (where I make my connecting flight home) is conducive to flights taking off on time.

desibro
BABA

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #23 on: Dec 14, 2010 02:25 PM »

salam

Yep we've got more snow forecast for Thursday, temperatures have dipped again, and I'm getting tonsilitis, I can feel it.

I don't have time to be ill. Not even this weekend, I'm busy. I could be ill for a week commencing the 24th of December, but not before.

Wassalaama

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #24 on: Dec 14, 2010 10:55 PM »

ws,

We got our first 'real snow', it's like only 2 inches, not pretty and a nuisance tho and it's SO COLD. VERY COLD. Yuck. And all my car doors froze and got stuck. It was comical. A lady stopped her car and gave me some advice to try to get the trunk open and crawl in from the back lol. Alhamdulllah after some effort one of the doors opened. Aghhhhh I hate winter.. Sad
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: