Madinat al-Muslimeen Community

Login with username, password and session length

From the news...

Once more into the quran, dear friends, once more.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Snow forecast  (Read 6637 times)
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2010 10:47 AM »

I hate winter too - GUESS WHAT?Huh??

I AM STILL IN PRAGUE, though I was supposed to leave on Friday - Amsterdam airport got hit bad, was closed. I spent 3 hours in a line at the transfer desk, still nothing. Then after about another 1.5 hours, this lady who was handling the business class passengers who9 had been there earlier as well (so at least she had seen my face) did a bunch of typing and eventually, got me a ticket to JFK, and then a flight straight home - for Sunday.  So I will be losing 3 days from my winter break, but all in all, I should and know I should say alhamdulillah, because who knows, it could have been worse. THe one thing that made it really rough was that I didn't sleep on Thursday night, so yeah, since my flight was at 7 am, I was at the airport at 5am til 7pm, all on no sleep for the entire previous night.  I got the new ticket, but then after gong to get my suitcase back, after 3 hours, I didn't get it from wherever they had put it in the meantime, so I have returned to my apartment without my suitcase, which has my books in it, that I need to study from during break. So I am hoping they will find it today (i have to keep checking the file onlone, as the ladies in the baggage area filed a report for missing luggage and they suspect it is still in Prague). So noly 50-50 situation here - new ticket but no luggage.

Hopefully next time I write, I'll be home.

BABA

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #26 on: Dec 23, 2010 01:13 AM »

That's too bad about your flights. It's a mess traveling in Europe apparently! Ppl have been stuck at airports for days again, just like the ash scare! Not sure why they aren't prepared for so much snow in Europe, I believe it does snow there quite regularly? But maybe it was a lot at one time and they're still in shock  Shocked hehe  Take care and good luck getting home!!
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #27 on: Dec 23, 2010 04:30 AM »

Hey Sis J and all -

I'm home now. I got home late Sunday night. So my new flight plan was to go from Prague to JFK and then to Portland. so that is an 8 hour flight followed by a 5 and half hour flight. By a miracle, my luggage arrived back from Amsterdam (yes, along with dozens of other pieces of luggage, it had taken the flight to Amsterdam at some point, though without the passengers, though flights did go there later on Friday night) just as I was checking in on Sunday around 11 am, so I ran to the other terminal and picked it up. Then called my amma to tell her that things were ok - big relief!

Sad thing is though, I lost three days of vacation time, but I guess in the big picture, I am fortunate as you mention Jannah, how many are stuck still and may even not be home for Christmas, etc.

Well, England overreacts I think and that is why Heathrow is taking a lot of cancellations, where other airports don't freak out so much. I have enclosed a picture of the Prague airport as I waited for my flight - there were snow plows working on the ground, and only from Dec. 1-3 or so, there were some delays but once they got things started, they keep it up, so even though it was snowing on Friday itself as I was waiting for my new ticket, flights were still departing and only delayed due to other late arrivals from more troubled airports.

jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #28 on: Dec 27, 2010 05:38 PM »

So we finally got a little snow Smiley Not the most we've ever had. I'd call this a normal medium winter storm that we usually have here...it was 10 inches. A real storm is like 12-24 Wink

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #29 on: Dec 27, 2010 09:20 PM »

Woooooooooooooooooooooooow Sis Jannah! I know 10 inches isnt' much for NY ( I have pics from the old days when I was still in White Plains) but that looks very nice and serene. Just glad I'm not in Boston, NYC or in the Baltimore.

BABA
 desibro
PS OMG, just noticed all the snowmen!!!!

Nafs
« Reply #30 on: Dec 28, 2010 02:03 AM »

Salaaamoonaaaaa!

Thanks for sharing pictures =) The snow looks really beautiful mashaAllah (although all of the pictures didn't load since my internet decided it'd be super slow today).

And shukar you are home safe WCBaba Smiley
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #31 on: Dec 28, 2010 04:08 PM »

Salaaam again -

Aww, Sr. Nafs - thanks so much! Indeed, Shukr'Allah I was able to get home safely and avoid further delays!

Forgot to mention Sis J - BIRDIE! You got that bird pictured so nicely! Awesome!

I was just watching this online car show I watch on YouTube (called Fast Lane Daily) that shoots from New York, but the hosts couldn't make it in to the studio in NYC and the main guy lives in NJ and he actually jumped into the snow in his front yard and it was crazy deep! He jumped off his porch into the snow as if he was jumping into a swimming pool! I love NY and everything, but so glad I don't live on the Easy Coast!!! Our winters are pretty mild here in Portland, thankfully. two years ago, we were homebound for 3 days, as the snow just forze over and we had 6 inches of ice, so it was no go, but in general it goes away after one or two days and it's no problem. Granted, it looks nice, when it restricts your movement even just locally - that sucks.

BABA
 desibro

WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #32 on: Dec 29, 2010 09:50 PM »

This is WCoastbaba with a live update from Portland, Oregon:

Today's weather report is brought to you by Neurology and Psychaitry - WCoastbaba's current reading material Sad

OK, so today's weather has been the following: Cloudy/rainy------>snow (5 min, no accumulation)----->Sunny, cloudless----->some more rain ----->cloudy with sun breaks.

Thanks for watching - next update in due time.

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming/local news/nap/SNACKING  Wink Cheesy

BABA
 desibro

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #33 on: Dec 30, 2010 12:59 PM »

salam

Snow has all melted on our end (well the bit I inhabit anyways), last night was covered in fog tho, it looked like something out of a movie, I was so happy to be snug and safe indoors Alhumdulillah.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #34 on: Dec 30, 2010 02:38 PM »

wsalam,

It's nice again over here too! Like 40s and we may hit 50s for new year's eve! Snow is slowly melting....... wish I could say it was April and this was the last of 'em, but oh well Wink
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #35 on: Jan 20, 2011 09:46 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

I have to say I can't remember the last time we had such a cold winter in London and the ensuing travel chaos was frankly laughable (unless you happened to get affected by it!!)

Whereas Europe just laughs it off, we seem incapable of dealing with even a few inches!!

It did remind me of my past, however, when I had mittens joined with string running along the sleeves of my coat!!

Why do kids not have stringed mittens anymore? Surely this a rite of passage for any young child just as clearing a windscreen full of snow is for an adult Wink

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #36 on: Jan 21, 2011 06:59 PM »

We have returned tot he chilly weather here. We had one day of 50 F, but it is back below freezing and we had a light dusting of snow yesterday and today. Not good.

BrKhalid - yes I have to agree with you. Back in my city, we too, don't know how to deal with snow and I think I mentioned that earlier in the thread and supplied video evidence, lol.

BABA
 desibro

akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #37 on: Jan 21, 2011 07:20 PM »

Baba bhai, where are you reporting from? Grin Prague or Portland?
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #38 on: Jan 22, 2011 04:14 AM »

Salams,

It's been a very snowy winter here Sad The last few years have been more cold then snow, now it's both Sad yuck... Cars are getting stuck, so many accidents bc of slickness, ice, snowbanks...I think ppl can't wait till spring even tho it's still january!!

latest pic:

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #39 on: Jan 22, 2011 04:18 AM »

had to post this here too separately. this article is seriously funny:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110121/ap_on_re_us/us_snow_fatigue

A month into winter, Easterners have had enough

By STEPHANIE REITZ, Associated Press Stephanie Reitz, Associated Press – Fri Jan 21, 4:46 pm ET

HARTFORD, Conn. – In Rhode Island, a mayor tells parents of snowbound schoolchildren to "hang in there." Atlanta has blown nearly all the money it set aside to clear the streets. In Connecticut, they're literally praying for winter to end. And at travel agencies, the phones are ringing with callers pining for tropical vacations — when the skies clear up enough to fly out, that is.

Just one month into winter, major cities up and down the East Coast have already gotten clobbered with more snow than they usually get all season, a one-storm-after-another barrage that is eating up snow-removal budgets and forcing schools to close.

And officially, winter still has two months left.

A new half-foot of snow tested the patience of residents in the Hartford area Friday, complicating a morning commute already made arduous by mountainous snowbanks that have not melted since a record-setting snowfall last week. Forecasters are calling for below-zero temperatures in New England over the weekend, followed perhaps by another big snowstorm along the East Coast, maybe even a blizzard.

"I'm spending a lot of time praying for spring," said Mark Boughton, mayor of Danbury, Conn., where back-to-back storms have been so bruising that crews haven't even had a chance to take down Christmas lights on Main Street.

More than 55 inches of snow has fallen this season on Hartford, which averages 46 inches in an entire winter. New York, which generally sees about 21 inches per winter, has gotten more than 36. Boston has 50 inches so far, compared with the usual 41.5-inch seasonal total.

Atlanta, which had its first white Christmas in decades, is reeling from about 6 inches so far this season, compared with the usual 0.3 inches for the whole winter.

The culprit is an unpredictable phenomenon called the North Atlantic Oscillation, an interaction of subtropical highs and polar lows that controls the flow of air along the East Coast, said Art DeGaetano, a Cornell University professor who directs the school's climate center. The colder air turns precipitation that would normally fall as rain into snow — even in the South.

Georgia officials think their $10 million reserve fund for emergencies is probably close to depleted. Fannin County, in northern Georgia, has lost nine school days and was foiled in a controversial attempt to keep up by holding classes on Martin Luther King Jr. Day.

"It's been one heck of a winter," said School Superintendent Mark Henson.

The storms have delayed or canceled countless flights at airports throughout the region, most famously during the post-Christmas blizzard in the New York area, where thousands of holiday travelers were stranded for days and the mayor faced a political crisis because of slow cleanup.

The nation's largest city burned through its entire snow removal budget of nearly $40 million on that storm, the season's first. It also came on a Sunday, meaning millions of dollars in overtime paid to city workers.

The city has had three more snowfalls since then, and Mayor Michael Bloomberg has dismissed questions about how it will pay for further cleanup. Streets are cleared first, he says, and the city figures out afterward where it can shift money.

In Wethersfield, Conn., the phone at Wethersfield Travel rings steadily with stranded travelers seeking help — and with new customers seeking a sunny respite.

"We're hearing from a lot of people who are sick of the snow and say they want to get away fast to somewhere warm," company owner Martha Kirsche said.

The season started out with little hint of what was to come.

The National Weather Service's official long-range winter forecast back in October amounted to a flip of the coin: The Northeast and Mid-Atlantic had equal chances of being snowier and colder than normal, and warmer and drier than normal.

The folks at the New Hampshire-based Old Farmer's Almanac and the Maine-based Farmers' Almanac didn't fare much better, the first predicting colder but less snowy weather for the eastern half of the U.S. and the latter forecasting colder weather and average snowfall.

"I got the cold part right," said Peter Geiger, editor of the Farmers' Almanac.

It's true that temperatures in much of the East have been 2 to 4 degrees below normal in December and January, DeGaetano said. In Washington, the temperature was 6 to 8 degrees colder than average in December and 2 to 3 degrees colder in January.

Still, forecasters say it is too soon to call this winter record-breaking.

"We've got a long way to go," said David Stark, a meteorologist with the National Service in Upton, N.Y., noting that New York City's 36 inches is a far cry from the record 75.6 inches that fell in 1995-96.

In Buffalo, N.Y., which gets about 93 inches of snow each season, residents yawn at suggestions that this winter is especially harsh. The lakeside city had received about 56 inches by Friday, typical for this time of year.

Louisiana native Joe Gardner, 39, started trolling Craigslist ads for a deal on a snowblower once he realized what he faced as a recent transplant to Burlington, Mass.

"This foot and a half every other day is getting kind of old," Gardner said Friday. "I had always heard how bad it is, but this is beyond what I expected."

In Providence, R.I., the city called off school Friday, the third snow day of the academic year.

Mayor Angel Taveras tweeted a sympathetic message to his constituents: "I know it's hard for parents. Hang in there."
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #40 on: Jan 22, 2011 02:47 PM »

akhan bhai - Prague. Sorry that I didn't make it clear. Been here since Jan. 9

Sis Jannah - Cook pics, but yikes, can't be fun. Didn't read the article, but yeah, can't imagine not being fed up with it.

BABA
 desibro

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #41 on: Feb 16, 2011 03:06 AM »

Haha u guys have to see this... this guy in our area built a humoooongous snowman!!!

Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #42 on: Feb 16, 2011 07:50 AM »

Salam alaikum

OMG!  I have never ever seen that much snow! seriously guys, I have to go somewhere where it snows like that!  not to live, just to visit! Wink 

It looks magical...I know it can cause all sorts of havoc, but it sure is pretttyyyy:) mashaAllah

Slm
S.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #43 on: Feb 24, 2011 03:14 PM »

salams,

PEOPLE~!! It's going to snow again tonight...our 500th ish storm ugh!   snow snow snow snow snow This winter is just endlessssss Sad Please give me ideas on how to beat the winter blues. OK ws
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #44 on: Feb 24, 2011 05:58 PM »

Sister Jannah..

Move down South!  Or just come for a visit.  It's 70 degrees right now and the daffodils are beginning to bloom!   Cheesy
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #45 on: Feb 24, 2011 07:45 PM »

salam

It was threatening to snow here again too, I've totally had it with the white stuff too..........

However it's suddenly brightened up and the sun is shining and hte skies are blue, and I need to bring out my spring wardrobe I think.

Sr Jannah, come over and visit us. Mind you I've a friend visiting from Louisiana, and the snow has scared them, I think friend is longing for the southern climate.....on the other hand should be used to it spent about six years here studying and working!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #46 on: Feb 24, 2011 10:05 PM »

Sorry to hear that Sis J. That's no good or fun.

As for me - we gotta little dusting in teh last week, but nothing that stayed around. When only a few weeks ago, at least for a day or two, it was kinda warm, but now, the temperatures have dropped to around 15F/-10C in the mornings, so waking up and knowing that I have to face those temperatures is not fun. Luckily, the trams are heated . .

as for things back home in the States, we got about an inch of snow yesterday, but that's not much.

BABA
 desibro

BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #47 on: Feb 24, 2011 10:47 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

I was actually thinking we may have turned the corner in respect of winter because I can now hear that beautiful birdsong around dawn which is always a great reminder that spring is just around the corner.

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Shahida
Sis

Reputation Power: 47
Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)Shahida might someday be someone..:)

Hasbi Allah wa ni3mal wakeel!

« Reply #48 on: Feb 25, 2011 11:19 AM »

Salam alaikum

Ok, beating the winter blues?? there is only one solution....forget the US south...move to Africa!

The last time I saw snow here, the ONLY time I saw snow here (and I only remember it becuz it was a MAJOR deal)...I was 1 or 2 years old.

It gets cold here, but never that cold...and we have flowers the whole year round Wink

Salam
S.
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #49 on: Feb 26, 2011 05:11 AM »

Africa? Kinda afraid of all the revolutions Smiley and the crime... the crime in south africa is incredible. A sister just visited here and was telling us how some criminals broke into their house in a home invasion and beat up her dad and a bullet just missed her leg, went through her jilbab!! And the story about that newlywed desi couple that was killed there really scared me. Although now they think the husband may have done it...but I find that unlikely...but guess u never know.

PS> it snowed heavily all day, wet heavy snow about 8-12 my arms are sore from shoveling trying to get the mountains of snow off the cars Sad
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: