// Chilli chicken (chinese style)
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: O God, I can't live in this world / Without remembering You - / How can I endure the next world / Without seeing Your face? - Rabi'a al-Adawiyya
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chilli chicken (chinese style)  (Read 2845 times)
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« on: Nov 23, 2010 06:06 PM »

salam

I lurve Chinese food, and this morning I left the house without having cooked, I had a vague idea I would make chili chicken.

As it turned out it was really delicious, not too spicy, altho the heat builds up, you don't realise it's spicy till you've finished eating and find your mouth slightly tingly!

Unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of the final result, I dished up before remembering I wanted to post it up. sooo pictures are a leetle bit errmmmmm eaten!!!!! Cheesy

Recipe is as follows;

Ingredients

For the sauce
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped

2.5cm/1in piece fresh root ginger, peeled, finely chopped

1 red chili, de-seeded, finely chopped

½ red pepper, de-seeded, sliced into strips

2 tomatoes, sliced

5 tbsp water

2 tbsp tomato ketchup

1 tsp light brown sugar (I used dark, didn't have light)

For the chicken

1 tbsp groundnut oil (I used olive)

250g/9oz skinless chicken breast fillets, sliced

1 courgette, sliced into strips (I don't like courgettes much so used finely sliced carrots and largely chopped mushrooms instead)

½ red or yellow pepper, de-seeded, sliced into strips (I used red, as the sauce requires half a red pepper so I used the other half up in this bit, next time I am going to use green peppers tho, as I love green peppers)

2 tbsp light soy sauce (I used dark didn't have light)

2 large spring onions, sliced lengthways

Preparation method
1.For the sauce, place all of the sauce ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth.

2.For the chicken, heat a wok until smoking and add the groundnut oil, then add the chicken and stir fry for 2-3 minutes, or until lightly golden. Add the courgette and red pepper and stir fry for 1-2 minutes, then pour in the sauce and bring to the boil. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.

3.Season with the soy sauce, and pile onto a serving plate. Garnish with the spring onions and serve immediately

I also added a tsp of salt during the cooking process, but the soy sauce does make it salty (not enough for me tho)

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2010 04:58 PM »

That sounds really good....  I'm gonna try it.

But what in the world are "courgettes"?

Can't you Brits speak English?  Cheesy
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2010 05:54 PM »

Hahaha..a courgette is the same as a zucchini.
Looks like the Indian speaks better English than both,the Brits and the Amreekans Wink
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2010 06:09 AM »

That looks rather good... Makes me want to make a really spicy version and eat it. We used to have this beautiful wok that I would cook in like everyday it was so useful then it got old and my mom threw it out Sad Cooking's not been the same since...

what's a groundnut btw? and spring onions? those are green onions?
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2010 06:36 AM »

salam

Spring onions are green onions. I think ground nut oil is simply peanut oil, going by the picture on the bottle!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2010 08:58 AM »

salaam,

mmm that does look yummy mashaAllah!  Do you know if you can use regular sugar instead of brown?

salaam,
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2010 11:05 AM »

as salaamu alaykum,

I was so inspired (hungry) by your recipe that I decided to make a version of this myself!  

Chili Chicken for Lazy Folks - A Simplified Version

- Instead of fresh garlic and ginger, I used ginger/garlic paste
- Instead of fresh chili I used red chili powder (about 1 tsp)
- I didn't have brown sugar, so I used white sugar plus a few drops of maple syrup (as one website I googled said would be an acceptable substitute)
- I didn't put these in the blender, but simply cooked them with the other ingredients (ketchup, diced tomatoes, etc) until they became a nice sauce.

- For the actual chicken, I cooked it with strips of green and red bell peppers and regular onions (that's all I had at home)!  But having tasted the finished product, I think thinly cut carrots would have made it awesome!  I'm sure if I used actual chilli peppers, green onions, and ginger and garlic it would have made it that much better.

Here are some pics!  Jazaki Allahu khayran for sharing the recipe - it's amazing the times we live in, where we can share recipes across the globe Smiley

salaam,

tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2010 02:43 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
OMG you guys are making me hungry and I just had my breakfast Smiley Smiley
Thanks for the recipe Sr.Fozia, your daughter is very cute(like her polka dot pjs) Mashallah. And thanks for the lazy version Sr.Seven  Smiley  You both are lucky that you are so far away from me, otherwise I would have dropped by to try some Smiley
Inshallah will definitely be trying it over the weekend.

Jazak Allah khair
tq
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Dec 01, 2010 05:33 PM »

salam

The reason I shared the recipe is because it is sooo easy, and because I feel everyone should love chinese food as much as I do. It's the kind of dish one can cook when one gets in from work getting kids on the way and you're hungry so just want something quick, tasty and wholesome, which I think this is.

To be honest I always have ground ginger, ground garlic and ground green chillies, which is what I used, I tend to adjust recipes to my own tastes, so mine had a bit of a kick (not not too much as Faitma will not eat really spicy food).

And Sr Tq, you are always welcome at mine to eat  Smiley

Wassalaam

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: