// Report: UK towns "bigger threat to Muslims"
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Oh, man! We killed Mr. Burns! Mr. Burns is gonna be so mad! - Homer
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Report: UK towns "bigger threat to Muslims"  (Read 979 times)
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« on: Nov 27, 2010 09:24 PM »

I have to admit, I got a little chuckle out of what the little old lady said on us "taking over"  Smiley Cheesy
BABA
 desibro   
PS YAY! this is my 500th post - HERO MEMBER! Wooohooooo! (OK, I know, I'm a nerd and proud of it!)

UK towns 'bigger threat to Muslims'

Academic report finds Muslim communities in small towns are more vulnerable to attack than those living in big cities.

UK towns 'bigger threat to Muslims'

A report published by a British university has found that arson, criminal damage, violence and intimidation against Muslims in the UK have increased dramatically since the 9/11 attacks on the US in 2001.

In particular, the authors found that since Muslim communities in small towns are more polarised than in cities, they are more vulnerable to attack and this accounts for higher Islamophobia-related incidents.

The study, Islamophobia and Anti-Muslim Hate Crime: UK Case Studies, was published by the University of Exeter and is part of a 10-year academic research project undertaken by its European Muslim Research Centre.  

Speaking to Al Jazeera, Jonathan Githens-Mazer, a co-author of the report, said: "There are two main things that are significant about this [report].

"One is that it talks about the experiences of Muslims that are living away from the big cities, away from big Muslim population areas and starts unpacking some of the problems they are having in these places.

"The other thing is that it starts talking about the politics of securitisation of Muslims, Muslims always being associated with terrorism, those ideas are being taken up by those who do violence against Muslims.

The study found that isolated Muslim communities in places like Colchester, Bishop's Stortford and Boston have become especially vulnerable.

"In these small towns communities become very vulnerable because quite simply they don't have the same support network," Githens-Mazer said.

"And also in small towns it may be that local councils or police, as positive as they try to be about these things, really aren't trained to deal with those issues."

Media criticised

"The real question isn't so much why there's Islamically-inspired terrorism. The real question is how is it that 99.99 per cent the community want to have nothing to do with it, want to reject it," said Githens-Mazer.

"The fact is that academics, and in terms of communities, there's so much work done by them to show [that the vast majority of Muslims want nothing to do with terrorism].

"But it's not taken up by the media, and certainly not taken up by the politicians, because it doesn't fit various narratives about, you know, evil Muslims and good non-Muslims."

The report, which also found that there had been a rise in random attacks on women who wear headscarves, said Islamophobia can only be tackled by the combined efforts of the government and community leaders.

"There are these cases [of attacks on Muslims in small towns] but they're not being reported, they're not coming through," Githens-Mazer said.

"In many cases people don't report them because either they're so humiliating or people are scared to go to the police and make the problem bigger than what actually happens.

"[We need] to make sure that we ensure that local councils and police working in those environments recognize that there are specific kinds of response to those communities."

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/europe/2010/11/20101127183749942336.html

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2010 11:18 PM »

salam

This doesn't sound like England to me, I'm, sure the authorities would love for this to be true (as once again it would mean 'mozlems' are the centre of a conflict, regardless of whether we perpetrate it or not), but its not.

And Colchester and Bishops stortford are predominantly white, and working class, with people not interested in studying or furthering themselves, the kind of people who live in those areas love a good ruck, doubt they'd be able to point out a muslim from a hindu or a sikh, or a non white person actually! If you dont fit in with their demographics then you're in trouble!

A load of crap in my opinion!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2010 01:03 AM »

Bhaya..you look like an Al Jazeera fan Smiley
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2010 07:57 AM »

Thanks for your response Sr. Fozia - I'm sure that's true - seems like the authorities like to stir up a lot, though my cousin in London, when I asked him about this, said of couse, being a Muslim in London is no big deal, whereas in teh smaller towns, where one sticks out a bit more, is dangerous, but again, you being in England have a better idea about what is happening.

Akhan bhai, you just discovered that?  Cheesy

desibro
BABA

akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2010 09:03 AM »

Akhan bhai, you just discovered that?  Cheesy

Yea bro,I am a newbie here,remember? Embarrassed

Btw,I am a Riz Khan and Inside Story fan..I watch 'em on youtube coz there's no AlJazeera broadcast in my city,makes it kinda convenient though Smiley
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2010 09:34 AM »

Sorry bhaya, hehe. Yeah, you are a newbie, while I am a Hero Member ma'sha'allah!  Grin

Yes, I like Riz Khan and I also watch on YouTube, though I sometimes watch the live feed via the IslamWeb toolbar that you can install for Firefox. The link is on the board somewhere, you can search for it, as the bro who runs it did post on here a few times.

BABA
 desibro

Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2010 01:51 PM »

salam

I live on the outskirts of London, arguably a 'smaller town', as the area has become more multi cultural, the tolerance levels have risen in proportion, Alhumdulilah, I very rarely get any negative attention, and the only times I have been subject to anything negative the perpetrators weren't exactly Mensa material.

A load of rubbish.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: