// Leaked Cables Offer Raw Look at U.S. Diplomacy
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: In the sea there are countless treasures, But if you desire safety, it is on the shore. - Sa'di
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Leaked Cables Offer Raw Look at U.S. Diplomacy  (Read 844 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Nov 29, 2010 09:31 PM »

Has anyone gone through any of the cables. I wonder what other interesting tidbits are in there. So much of them are solely on the politics of the middle east. Very telling.

===============

Leaked Cables Offer Raw Look at U.S. Diplomacy (long article)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/29/world/29cables.html?_r=1&ref=world&pagewanted=all
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2010 10:39 PM »

Haven't gone through any of them, but just listened to news clips or read summaries of them on my favorite news site? Any guesses which site that is?  Wink Grin

But seriously, some good stuff, about what the US thinks of many of the European leaders that they have to deal with these days. (Merkel, Burlesconi, Sarcozy, etc).

Also, I was shocked, or maybe not, that some Arab states, want the US to take out Iran's nuclear plants out my any means, including military strikes. Yikes!

This is a strange and scary world we live in. It's kinda sad too - I know there is all the history that precedes us, but when it really comes down to it, we all want the same thing, but I guess that paths differ? I know I'm naive, but sometimes you just wish, in the words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

Knowing how short life is, all this secrecy, fighting, lying, death, suffering, doesn't seem worth it. These last few years, as I've seen the world go down hill (sorry for the doom and gloom) I am SO THANKFUL, this life is only transient, temporary. Don't know why anyone would want to live forever - in this world at least! Shukr'Allah!

OK, sorry off topic, but thought this was a place to get it off my chest. My apologies.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2010 12:53 AM »

I've been through a few.
The best of the best was this quote by Kind Abdullah of Saudi Arabia.

Quote - King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia called President Asif Ali Zardari of Pakistan the greatest obstacle to that country’s progress. “When the head is rotten,” he said, “it affects the whole body.”

The most hilarious words ever spoken by a statesman Cheesy But,it's also true.

On the whole,I was expecting exactly this..yup..frankly speaking,I think that all the frenzy surrounding the so called "classified" material is unnecessary.Intuitively,we all know what goes on behind closed doors.Let alone the US,every country is concerned about its own national interests and will go to any lengths to achieve them.It's as simple as that.If someday WikiLeaks or any other organisation releases Indian or French material,I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's similar to what the American cables are like.
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2010 12:58 AM »

I just came across this on Sh.Yasir Qadhi's facebook page

YasirQadhi: Wasn't it Jesus Christ who said that the truth shall set you free? Then why is our government so scared of the truth in Wikileaks?
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2010 07:35 AM »

Yes, that was a great quote. He tweeted that one too.

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
skhansj
Bro

Reputation Power: 1
skhansj has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2010 01:08 PM »

My only insight from these cables was about social systems.

Apparently,  when dealing with people in democracies, things that are hidden tend to be similar to what is in the open (because of the importance of accountability). When dealing with kingdoms, the hidden can differ from the open. I was really surprised to read that at least three countries were pushing the US to attack Iran. I'd come across rumours of these, but this was quite a revelation.

I was surprised to read a few things about the middle-eastern leader (who are mostly heading kingdoms or despotic regimes), and was not surprised about anything regarding Europe (except perhaps the links between the Italians and the Russian).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: