Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: Humility: The Prophet said: 'God has revealed to me that you must be humble, so that no one oppresses another and boasts over another.' (Sahîh Muslim, Sunan Abî Dawûd)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does anyone take vitamins?  (Read 1810 times)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« on: Nov 30, 2010 04:29 PM »

Just wondering what ppl usually take?

If I take a multi-vitamin and like 1000 of D3 and iron is this toxic over time??
worshipper
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2010 04:38 PM »

salaam sister.i think you should go and see youre doctor.i used to take vitamins but now everytime i read label they all have gelatine in them so not allowed.very rarley will u find any that are halaal lol.spent hours reading each bottle but gave up in the end lol.now just eat fruit and veg.best ones are omega 3 fish oils i think but as i said see youre doctor.sorry not much help.w/s
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2010 05:33 PM »

Hey there Sis J - I know I should be of more help  Wink but all I can say is that I also take Omega 3's as this help lower your cholesterol. I also started taking haldi in capsule form (i.e. turmeric) as it is good for your cardiovascular health (prevents stroke for example). Though we desis have a lot of this in our diet, so if you take it that way, it's enough I think. When the winter arrives, I also take, from time to time, these water-soluble tablets of Vitamin C, that you just put in water and drink once it dissolves. Just to keep illnesses mild, though this won't prevent getting a cold, etc. Vitamin C is a co-factor in a reaction which is involved in building connective tissue, so in general you should make sure you are getting enough of that, so yeah, if you are eating citrus fruits, you are probably getting enough (oranges, mango, etc).

Yeah, since you're a gal, iron is very important - I think you know that and yes, Vit. D is good one as well, especially if you don't take in enough dietary calcium via milk, yogurt, etc. Keeps your bones healthy as I'm sure you also know.

Vit E is an anti-oxidant, which keeps things "all-good" chemically speaking at the cellular level, so there are many things that have anti-oxidant capabilities - something called TEA  Grin.

Um, I guess I could ask Amma and get back to you - she's a doc, and she's at the age where nutrition is extra important and she doesn't drink much milk - though she CONSTANTLY tells me too! ARGH!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy She only gets hers through tea and coffee!! I actually take milk through tea and also, after spicy food (yogurt also) as they settle the stomach if it's not doing "well"  Wink

OK, that's all I've got.

The not-quite-yet
 doctor BABA

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2010 06:55 PM »

salam

Sr Jannah, I really do think you should get a medical done, get checked for blood iron levels and also vitamin D levels, that could make you feel yuck.

I tend to take multivatmin herbal tonics with iron because I'm forever anaemic (do you get floradix in liquid form over there?), but I get regular check ups too, mostly when I feel really ghastly.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2010 07:08 PM »

wsalam,

no health care!! lol that's why i'm asking you guys instead of a doc  Cheesy so i got a multivitamin that seems to have everything, C, D and iron included, doesn't have omega-3s though but i guess i'll try this and see how it goes! and yes worshipper i looked at like a 100 bottles and finally found one that was 'vegetarian' no gelatin yay!! its called nature's made from CVS. i also read that dr. oz suggests taking half in the morning and half at night... so i'll try that too!
se7en
Sis

Reputation Power: 11
se7en has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2010 07:56 PM »

as salaamu alaykum,

Jannah you should check out health food stores, they have tons of vitamins and they are almost all organic, gluten-free (I don't even know what gluten is but sounds good to me), vegetarian, natural-sourced vitamins instead of all that weirdo chemical stuff that are probably in most of them.  I also find the people who work at health food stores incredibly nice - probably because most of them are the alternative-seeking 'fight the power' type people who support Muslims Smiley

salaam
Siham
Sis

Reputation Power: 23
Siham barely matters :(Siham barely matters :(

Tranquil Heart

« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2010 10:35 PM »

salaam What vitamins should you take? Unfortunately, there's no one brand or pill that combines the recommended amount of every vitamin, mineral, and nutrient. To make this as easy as possible, we've listed our recommendations of pills and supplements by age and gender. Make your body and mind stronger, healthier and younger!

What Vitamins Should I Take?

Hope this helps insha`Allah.
W'salaam

"Do not treat people with contempt, nor walk insolently on the earth. Allah does not love the arrogant or the self-conceited boaster. Be modest in your bearing and subdue your voice, for the most unpleasant of voices is the braying of the ass." [The Holy Qur'an, Surah Luqman - 31:18-19]
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2010 01:57 AM »

ws,

The Dr. Oz/Oprah recommendations are good. I think most multi-vitamins have all of those more or less. I think we're limited to what are vegetarian only... in this case the only one I found. True se7en those kinds of stores would be great. But so much energy to drive over there alone and what not. I'll just take this for now. I took some vitamins before that made me throw up immediately!! but these have been good so far... Thanx for all the help!

tahirah
Sis

Reputation Power: 19
tahirah has no influence :(

« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2010 02:52 AM »

I don't know what gluten is

Gluten is found in foods processed from wheat and similar foods (i.e. barley, rye). Some people express allergies or sesitivities to gluten, so they can't eat bread, cake, cereal or any other foods that have wheat without having symptoms. Because of the rising awareness of gluten allergies/sensitivities you will find gluten-free labels these days.

[We will now return to our regularly scheduled programming Cool ]
WCoastbaba
Bro

WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2010 09:36 AM »

Before we return to the regular scheduled programming, I would like to add, that this reaction takes place in childhood, when the person is introduced to cereals, grains, etc. This causes an immune reaction in the small intestine, causing flattening/blunting of the villi (the absorptive surface in the duodenum, which is the first segment of the small intestine) and thus, absorption cannot take place and results in diarrhea, weight loss, failure to thrive, anemia, among other signs. Once you eliminate gluten-containing foods from the diet, these symptoms will resolve, as does the status of the villi.

We, truly, NOW, return you to regularly scheduled programming which will not contain any medical terms.  Grin

Almost Dr. BABA
 desibro

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2010 11:37 AM »

Thanx ppls for ur  scary Shocked info lol. I think I have that med student syndrome, whatever I read about I think I have!! The problem with US healthcare is w/out insurance an office visit can cost $300 and blood tests $1000+ so that's not happening Sad The vitamins are working well, as is having a regular schedule, exercise and losing weight...I think this Eid/Thanksgiving season was just a little too jolly  Cheesy
WCoastbaba
Bro

« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2010 01:44 PM »

Thanx ppls for ur  scary Shocked info lol. I think I have that med student syndrome, whatever I read about I think I have!! The problem with US healthcare is w/out insurance an office visit can cost $300 and blood tests $1000+ so that's not happening Sad The vitamins are working well, as is having a regular schedule, exercise and losing weight...I think this Eid/Thanksgiving season was just a little too jolly  Cheesy

Yeah, one of my best friends here - we tease her about that, because when we learn about new conditions/diseases, she feels like she has it, though we always have a good laugh over it - it's called Hypochondriasis (or you may be more familiar with the term, hypochondriac, someone who suffers from this condition).

Yes, healthcare sucks in the US  - too expensive! Ahh, sounds good big sis, that is better than me for sure - ma'sha'allah, losing weight!?!?! Awesome! congratulations woohoo

haha, LOL@too jolly. Bless your heart Sis J!  (OK, I know that sounds very Amreekan/Western, but eh, what ya gonna do?)

BABA
 desibro

Nafs
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2010 02:40 AM »

SalaaamAlaikum!

I am kind of off and on with vitamins ... My mom and I were both taking them around this time last year and she gained a little weight and was told it was bec of the vitamins, and since I had gained a few lbs too, I decided to quit.

Then I started again once more, quit again...and recently started taking prenatal vitamins and my D3 (1000IU) vitamins, I Just thought I'd finish both bottles and see what I'd do next. I am taking the prenatal vitamins for my hair, nails, etc.

I am also worried about what will happen in the long run ... My diet pretty much stinks ..still..so I don't know :| what to really do.. but I guess most people take them? Has anyone ever noticed gaining a few lbs?

But thanks for that list Siham, has anyone tried the Coenzyme q10 for diabetes?

(BTW Sr. Jannah, I always think I have most diseases? too ..but I feel like its really true..but then I am also in denial..kinda weird.... but may  Allah tala protect all of us from any disease InshaAllah).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: