// Winter warmer bread & butter pudding
    Peace be upon you,
    Welcome to Madinat Al-Muslimeen, the City of the Muslims. Please feel free to visit the different hot spots around the Madina and post any discussion, articles, suggestions, comments, art, poetry, events, recipes, etc etc. Basically anything you would like to share with your sisters and brothers!! Non-muslims are also of course quite welcome to share their comments. If this is your first time here, you need to register with the city council. Once you register you have 15 days to post your mandatory introduction and then you will be upgraded to a Madina Citizen, God Willing. Please note that our city does have regulations which are listed in the city constitution. Read them carefully before moving in. P.S. - You can also post anonymously if you wish. P.S.S. - Also be sure to check out our ARCHIVES from 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 & 2007. :)

Random Quote: The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery.- F Bacon
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter warmer bread & butter pudding  (Read 3220 times)
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« on: Dec 01, 2010 05:45 PM »

salam

I made this on Saturday, as I had stale bread in the fridge, when I say stale I mean it's going hard, not growing mould...if yours is growing stuff then really throw it out.

This is a favourite good old english recipe, it's low labour, and really delicious....and we ate it then I remembered the Madina....next time I make it I will I promise post up a picture  inshallah.

Ingredients

25g/1oz butter, plus extra for greasing

8 thin slices bread ( I used five medium slices)

50g/2oz sultanas (I cannot stand sultanas so  Iused chocolate chips instead! They look the same!)

2 tsp cinnamon powder

350ml/12fl oz whole milk

50ml/2fl oz double cream

2 free-range eggs

25g/1oz granulated sugar

nutmeg, grated, to taste (I accidentally used ground cardamom seeds here, as the girls had a fight and I got distracted......no one died, Khadeeja wrote using Fatima's pen! Oh the drama, actually tasted good)

Preparation method

Grease a 1 litre/2 pint pie dish with butter. (I used a two litre round pyrex dish, worked fine)

Cut the crusts off the bread. Spread each slice with on one side with butter, then cut into triangles. (I left the crusts on, the whole reason I make this is to not waste bread!)

Arrange a layer of bread, buttered-side up, in the bottom of the dish, then add a layer of sultanas. Sprinkle with a little cinnamon, then repeat the layers of bread and sultanas, sprinkling with cinnamon, until you have used up all of the bread. Finish with a layer of bread, then set aside.

Gently warm the milk and cream in a pan over a low heat to scalding point. Don't let it boil.

Crack the eggs into a bowl, add three quarters of the sugar and lightly whisk until pale.

Add the warm milk and cream mixture and stir well, then strain the custard into a bowl.

(if you're not using sultanas you might want to increase the sugar you put in as it does change how sweet the final result turns out, I also whizz everything in the blender it makes the end result light and fluffy, and I do not bother straining anything just pour everything from the blender jug right on to the bread )

Pour the custard over the prepared bread layers and sprinkle with nutmeg and the remaining sugar and leave to stand for 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 180C/355F/Gas 4.

Place the dish into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the custard has set and the top is golden-brown.
(bake in the middle of the oven, otherwise it deflates when taken out, which is just disappointing even if it doesnt affect the taste)

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 277
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2010 09:45 PM »

Ooooooo I always wanted to know how to make this! Yes please put a pic when u get a chance...

Sultanas= walnuts?
Double cream= heavy cream?
Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2010 10:29 PM »

salam

sultanas= raisins I guess for you guys. (but milk chocolate chips work just as well!!!)

Double cream= heavy cream, (yes I suppose, the creamiest cream you can get your hands on).

It doesn't last long in this house the three of us managed to polish the whole lot off in the space of a day!.

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
jannah
Administrator

jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2010 05:23 AM »

OK I did some research...(luv u wikipedia) & sultana's are those yellow raisins sold at desi grocery stores!! ok so need to get those and some heavy cream... i don't like the idea of chocolate in there... dunno i feel like chocolate should be all chocolate and pudding stuff should be more vanilla stuff...
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2010 08:46 AM »

salam

You're so funny sr Jannah, the sultanas or chocolate chips are just sprinkled intermittently between the layers of bread.

You can make it without sultanas, or even the cinnamon & nutmeg, just bread & custard. But the spices give it a really lovely winter warming feel.

The key is the bread should be going stale, & allow time for the custard to be absorbed into the bread, by the time you come to put this in the oven you shouldn't see any liquid.

Ill make it again this weekend Inshallah, & post up pictures Inshallah.

Wassaalaam

tq
Sis

Reputation Power: 18
tq has no influence :(

« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2010 01:37 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
Sr.Fozia is our Madina Rachel Ray!!!

Does the bread have to be stale? can we use fresh one- I like this recipe and dont want to wait for the bread to stale Smiley
Also Sr.Jannah , heavy cream here would be the half and half cream ? not the whipped cream? Thanks for helping a fob Smiley

Keep the recipe(simple ones) coming!

Wasalam
tq
WCoastbaba
Bro

Reputation Power: 51
WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)WCoastbaba is on the verge of being a madinan :)

« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2010 01:42 PM »

Thanks for helping a fob Smiley

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! Sis tq, you are hilarious!

BABA
 desibro

The Believers, men and women, are protectors one of another:  [9:71]
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2010 02:21 PM »

salam

Heavy cream, is just the most calory filled cream that pours that you can find, not whipped cream. Google 'English double cream' , that should give you an idea.

Leave the bread out overnight but covered (not in an airtight container), that should let it go stale. It's just more absorbent when it's old bread.

My recipes are generally simple & contain everyday ingredients that I already have in.

Going to google Rachel Ray!

Wassalaam

Fozia
Sis

« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2010 06:16 PM »

salam

Todays pudding, I made it sans either chocolate or sultanas (yucky)...

tq
Sis

« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2010 02:08 PM »

Asslamo elikuim
Update- I got the heavy cream.I was doing my weekly grocery shopping at costco and found it there!!
Also Sr.Fozi I have left slices of bread out to make them go stale. So Inshallah this Friday I will be making it and then if it turned out as good as your , I will  post pic on Monday.
I kind of agree with Sr.Jannah, Chocolate in pudding with cinnamon powder might not taste good(plus my husband doesnt like chocolate- now how wierd is that  Smiley ?) I might either use raisins or almonds/walnuts - it will give like a English shahi-tukra flavour Smiley

Wasalam
tq
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2010 06:11 PM »

salam

Actually I dont mix chocolate and spices either, its one or the other.

I wasn't very clear, I like to experiment.

Usually bread goes stale after its been hanging round for a few days, it loses its initialy softness.

Do post up the result, it should be like set custard inside and crunchy on top.

Wassalaam

Christine_1208
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Christine_1208 has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2010 06:48 PM »

I WANT SOME Tongue I am gonna make this as soon as I start my maternity leave. Most likely will gain 10 lbs before baby come due to this yummy recipe Tongue Thanks sis!!

I believe in Islam like the sun rising, not because I see it but because by it, I see everything else.
tq
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2010 03:04 PM »

Assalamo elikuim
I couldnt wait till Friday so I made it yesterday!
It didnt turn out as good as yours Sr.Fozia Sad. It was a bit dry - I think I did two things wrong 1)I should have used deeper dish and 2)should I have put more milk/heavy cream as the bread I used was not thin sliced.

My husband liked it a lot but my kids didnt like it, they think its like Pakistani dessert Shahi tukra since I put raisins/almonds-  crazy kids Smiley

I am going to try again and will follow the recipe exactly since the boss of the house likes it Smiley

Any more yummy reicpes Sr.Fozia?
Wasalam
tq
silver
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
silver has no influence :(

« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2010 02:19 AM »

It probably doesn't look that good but it tasted yummy. Cheesy And I used buns instead.
Thanks sister Fozia for the recipe.
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2010 05:06 AM »

salam

Wow, I love the way you guys improvised!

Use thin sliced bread, or medium (if using medium use fewer lices) it won't work with thick sliced bread. Sr tq, looks like you need more milk actually not cream.

I was thinking about this and if there is lots of liquid in the baking dish that's fine the pudding is like creme caramel consistency inside and crunchy on top.

I wouldn't have thought of using almonds in it....possibly because like your kids Sr tq, I wouldnt eat it!

Sr Silver, was the pudding soft in the inside? It's so hard to tell from the pictures.

We're making gingerbread people tomorrow (rather this afternoon inshallah), apparently we have to bake them for an extra ten minutes, or they will run away (according to my five year old, who has been reading an interesting book on gingerbread men!) Roll Eyes

Will post up recipe and pictures if they turn out good inshallah!

Wassalaam

jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2010 01:14 AM »

Update! Getting the stuff! Hopefully will be able to make this weekend &  hope it turns out yummy!

Still want to make this! But it might be awhile to gather all the ingredients and actually put it together. Sad The tiramasu took me two years!! So great so many ppl have tried it! Maybe sister Fozia should put up a new recipe for us every month to try!  hungry
jannah
Administrator

I heart the Madina

« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2011 05:44 AM »

Yayy I finally made this! I followed the directions exactly and even used the sultanas/yellow raisins. It came out very good, especially fresh and hot out of the oven. I'm not sure if I'd put raisins in next time, they do have a distinct taste and stuff, maybe sliced almonds as I like those? Or maybe even those chocolate chips!!! Thanx again for the recipe!!  hungry

here's my pic:
BrKhalid
Bro

Reputation Power: 27
BrKhalid barely matters :(BrKhalid barely matters :(

« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2011 10:30 PM »

Asalaamu Alaikum bro

I have to say as a bread pudding eating connoisseur over the years I totally love the sultanas and can't imagine anything else in it!!

That freshly baked smell when it comes out of the oven and that moist texture when you cut into it...... bro

Amazing really how stale bread can turn into something 'totally scrumptious'!!

Btw, we should definately have a warning for threads which are likely to cause hunger.

Imagine seeing these pics on a long hot day in Ramadhan!!! Wink

Say: "O ye my servants who believe! Fear your Lord, good is (the reward) for those who do good in this world. Spacious is God's earth! those who patiently persevere will truly receive a reward without measure!" [39:10]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: