Madinat al-Muslimeen Community
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Apr 23, 2014 02:24 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Double, double toil and tazkiyah.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sleeping with wet hair!  (Read 5051 times)
Sarah Amena
Sis

Reputation Power: 1
Sarah Amena has no influence :(

« on: Dec 11, 2010 04:29 PM »

Salam Alaikum Everyone,
Ok, I have a question, is there ANYTHING wrong with sleeping with wet hair?Huh?Huh?Huh? My mother-in-law and sister-in-law and pretty much every Bosnian believes that sleeping with wet hair will cause all sorts of brain problems and diseases and Allah knows what else! I get really irritated when they tell me this and I am curious, has anyone ever heard of this? Is this merely superstition or is it a legitimate claim?   I get SOOOOOOOOOOOOO annoyed with this!!!!!!!! Maybe Dr. Baba can shed some light too!

Salam!
pearl
Sis

Reputation Power: 6
pearl has no influence :(

« Reply #1 on: Dec 11, 2010 07:03 PM »

As salaamu alaikum --

I don't think sleeping with wet hair causes neurological problems, but it would probably make a person feel cold from having a wet head and a damp pillow.  It can also make for bad cases of "bed hair" in the morning, although if you are wearing hijab anyway, no one will notice!  Tongue
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #2 on: Dec 11, 2010 08:57 PM »

wsalam,

I think that if it's cold in your room or you have a window open it can make you sick perhaps. I also notice if I sleep with wet hair I have more vivid dreams...no idea how/why it's strange...(could possibly be a correlation due to having a relaxing shower/bath before bed makes u more relaxed & dream etc) but maybe that's where that superstition came from...
Fozia
Sis

Reputation Power: 124
Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2010 05:12 AM »

salam

I sleep with wet hair a lot as I have waist length hair and no desire to walk around during the day at work with a soggy head under my hijab! So I always wash my hair in the night and as I never blow dry my hair I inevitably go to bed with wet hair!

I don't tihnk it's made me insane.....it's everyone else who is crazy not me!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
blackrose
Sis

Reputation Power: 3
blackrose has no influence :(

« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2010 06:48 AM »

Lol Fozi

I love sleeping with wet hair, feels good

but your scaring me now!

salaam
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2010 03:59 PM »

Here's another one that drives me crazy: 
My husband, his family, and other people from other cultures tell me that if you eat fish and drink milk at the same time you end up with leprosy (or some terrible disease)!
I know this is a crock, because I, and everyone else I know, grew up eating tuna fish sandwiches and a glass of milk for lunch.  Many lunches.  And I always had a glass of milk with dinner which was sometimes fish.  Nothing terrible ever happened.
Has anyone else heard this one?

Fozia
Sis

Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!Fozia is awe-inspiring mA!

« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2010 05:54 PM »

salam

Yes that's an indian one, what amuses me is that a lot of english recipes call for cream or milk with fish....leprosy isnt a prevalent disease in modern day england as far as I'm aware!

Wassalaam

And when My servants question thee concerning Me, then surely I am nigh. I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he crieth unto Me. So let them hear My call and let them trust in Me, in order that they may be led aright. Surah 2  Verse 186
akhan
Bro

Reputation Power: 107
akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2010 09:37 PM »

Lol..Indian culture says if you have fish and milk together you get vitiligo not leprosy..a silly myth in any case Smiley
rahma
Sis

Reputation Power: 73
rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)rahma has a powerful personality :)

« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2010 03:20 AM »

Vitiligo?
Sarah Amena
Sis

Sarah Amena has no influence :(

« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2010 05:11 AM »

Thank you for responding and AGREEING!

Sigh, if only I could get over my irritation and ignore their "advice" instead of voicing my um... opinions...  SubanAllah it amazes me how they say these things with such conviction... It's definitely an opportunity to learn to be patient and to bite my tongue... An area that I definitely need to work on  Lips Sealed
akhan
Bro

akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)akhan has an aura about them. :)

« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2010 10:57 AM »

Vitiligo?

Yes - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitiligo
Nadimah86
Sis

Reputation Power: 0
Nadimah86 has no influence :(

« Reply #11 on: Apr 12, 2011 08:13 PM »

My mom used to say that it made your liable to get colds & chills.
Fozia
Sis

« Reply #12 on: Apr 12, 2011 09:45 PM »

salam

I had a manager years ago, who would insist that it's not wet hair that gives colds and chills, it's viruses which cause colds .... I agree with her!

Wassalaam

peace
Sis

Reputation Power: 21
peace barely matters :(peace barely matters :(

« Reply #13 on: Apr 13, 2011 02:49 PM »

Here's another one that drives me crazy: 
My husband, his family, and other people from other cultures tell me that if you eat fish and drink milk at the same time you end up with leprosy (or some terrible disease)!
I know this is a crock, because I, and everyone else I know, grew up eating tuna fish sandwiches and a glass of milk for lunch.  Many lunches.  And I always had a glass of milk with dinner which was sometimes fish.  Nothing terrible ever happened.
Has anyone else heard this one?

my husband's family (seems like madina has loads of superstition haressed DILs) too believes in thsi absurd idea. But they say its not leprosy but white spots that are caused due to combining fish and milk! same combination of food causes different diseases in different cultures....wow thats amazing!! And there is another one: eating ghee and honey together kills!!! Shocked Shocked And one of my inlaws was so sure and convencing about it that i thought its better to live than to die trying to prove a point so I never tried that combo.

For those who don't know Ghee is taht which comes out after heating butter and is popularly used in india

akhan
Bro

« Reply #14 on: Apr 13, 2011 04:22 PM »

lol..ghee and honey kills??? Never heard that one before...fish and milk leading to vitiligo is common, my mum used to say it all the time until I had both of 'em together in front of her and Alhamdulilah nothing happened.
btw, don't they put ghee and honey in our sweets, like in shahi tukra and stuff? how come nothing happens then? they don't work the magic with other ingredients or what? Cheesy
Zuni_muj_fudge
Sis

Zuni_muj_fudge has no influence :(

If ALLAH (S.W.T.) wanted all women to be size zero

« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2013 09:26 PM »

Sleeping with wet hair doesn't cause anything devastating to happen, it just tangles your hair BADLY. And to all those who say "if you're a hijabi no=one can tell if its tangled" you've obvoiusly never tried to put your hijab on tangled hair (I have, it don't work!)
jannah
Administrator

Reputation Power: 278
jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!jannah is awe-inspiring mA!

I heart the Madina

« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2013 05:48 PM »

My mom used to say that it made your liable to get colds & chills.

I had a manager years ago, who would insist that it's not wet hair that gives colds and chills, it's viruses which cause colds .... I agree with her!

It's true a virus gives colds/flu but whenever I'm outside for a long period of time with wet hair, I get very very cold with chills then when I come home I get a fever and end up getting sick. I think it just makes you more susceptible to getting sick, just like if you went around in winter or in rain without a coat. The rain won't make you sick but makes you more susceptible.

Here's an article...
'Wrap up' advice to stop colds

LONDON, England (CNN) -- British researchers into the common cold say "catching a chill" really does help colds develop -- and are advising to "wrap up warm" to keep viruses at bay.

Mothers and grandmothers have long warned that chilling the surface of the body, through wet clothes, feet and hair, causes common cold symptoms to develop.

But much previous research has dismissed any link between chilling and viral infection as having no scientific basis.

Now researchers in Cardiff, Wales, say they can prove drops in temperature to the body really can cause a cold to develop. (Watch what they did to 'chill' people in the study -- 3:24)

Claire Johnson and Professor Ron Eccles, from Cardiff University's Common Cold Center, recruited 180 volunteers, half of whom they got to immerse their feet in ice and cold water for 20 minutes.

The other 90 in tests during the common cold "season" sat with their feet in an empty bowl.

During the next four or five days, almost a third (29 percent) of the chilled volunteers developed cold symptoms -- compared to just 9 percent in the control group, the scientists said.

Professor Eccles said there was a simple explanation as to why chilly feet could lead to the development of cold virus symptoms.

"When colds are circulating in the community many people are mildly infected but show no symptoms," he said, according to the UK's Press Association.

"If they become chilled this causes a pronounced constriction of the blood vessels in the nose and shuts off the warm blood that supplies the white cells that fight infection.

"The reduced defences in the nose allow the virus to get stronger and common cold symptoms develop.

"Although the chilled subject believes they have `caught a cold' what has in fact happened is that the dormant infection has taken hold."

The researchers, writing in the UK medical journal Family Practice, said that common colds were more prevalent in the winter than the summer, and this could be related to an increased incidence of chilling causing more clinical colds.

But they also suggested that another explanation could be that our noses are colder in the winter.

Professor Eccles added: "A cold nose may be one of the major factors that causes common colds to be seasonal.

"When the cold weather comes we wrap ourselves up in winter coats to keep warm but our nose is directly exposed to the cold air.

"Cooling of the nose slows down clearance of viruses from the nose and slows down the white cells that fight infection.

"Mothers can now be confident in their advice to children to wrap up well in winter."

Cardiff's Common Cold Center says it is the world's only center dedicated to researching and testing new medicines for the treatment of flu and the common cold.
Mubaraka
Sis

Reputation Power: 41
Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)Mubaraka might someday be someone..:)

« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2013 08:01 AM »

Well..  teacher

It all depends upon the level of immunity a person has against a disease.

An increase in body temperature increases the levels of certain immunoglobulins (immune proteins) in the body(specifically Ig A) which help in fighting against certain diseases, especially flu. sick  So that is one of the reasons Allah causes our body to increase it's temperature in the form of fever and that is the reason we feel nice having hot soups and that is the reason we ask people to maintain active and healthy lifestyle by doing exercise at normal times (as increased activity produces heat in the body)....

Exposure to cold makes us susceptible to infections especially when our body is weak and when those inbuilt immune mechanisms are a little lousy...
(But it does not mean we go about baking ourselves up.. Grin)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: